yet another post about portables- first of the mo.

aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Just a quickie. Been reading old posts. Believe it or not, never actually owned a portable. Gotta break down and do it finally while i got a little dough. Was looking at the NuMark player. Seems to be the most affordable w/ the best design. The question is about whether the sound gets loud enough. A friend has one and mentioned that he doesn't think it is loud enough. Any owners out there can vouch for it? I'd be using mostly for playing 45's and 12" singles. thanks!!!

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    make that 2nd of the month given the post two down.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    plaese peoples.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    GP3.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    GP3.

• mimmim 44 Posts
    loud enough for what? it's loud enough for one to hear music, most definitely.

you won't be able to rock the party with two of these in the woods, crickets would outshout you, thats for sure too..

thing with the portables is that the stylus is very close to the speaker. it cannot be loud enough because of the feedback. as far as i understand it.

one model i own (iskraphon) is total trash, but has a nice feature for people who like it loud: speaker built into a cover lid that connects with a 2 meter cord, and so allows it to be further from the stylus and pretty loud too. sound quality is awful though.

use headphones?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i have the numark and i love it, with headphones its LOUD AS FUCK, imo. and i havent had any problems with it, and have had it for about 9 months.

you will hear good and bad things about everything though...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i have a fisher price 820 (the tan and orange one) that i got off of e bay. i believe it's the only model that you can use batteries with as well as use an adapter. i had it modified (by the father in law), who put in a stereo headphone jack for me. i love the thing. it's plenty loud (with or without headphones), and has been the best $21 i've spent.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The best portable at the most affordable price is buying a used Fisher Price off of eBay PERIOD. There's info on the net about how you can hook up a headphone jack as well. Either go with the Fisher Price, or spend the money and get a Sound Burger/Mister Disc.

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts
    i have a fisher price 820 (the tan and orange one) that i got off of e bay. i believe it's the only model that you can use batteries with as well as use an adapter. i had it modified (by the father in law), who put in a stereo headphone jack for me. i love the thing. it's plenty loud (with or without headphones), and has been the best $21 i've spent.

Actually the soundburger also can be plugged to the electricity through an adapter, besides using standard batteries.

• Options
    i believe it's the only model that you can use batteries with as well as use an adapter.

This is the loudest portable out there. Japanese made and, according to the gentleman I bought it off, Jamaican altered. Had to replace the speaker (blown) with something nice (2-way paradigm). If I'm at a record fair/dealers place/store playing records for an extremely long time, I need to pack 4 extra batteries. Usually just use it for portable-competitive situations such as record fairs. NO headphone option - not needed.

Plays 78's, too.

Kevin.

• Options

Actually the soundburger also can be plugged to the electricity through an adapter, besides using standard batteries.

I took that wrong, too - think he means the only Fisher PRice model with that option.

K.

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts

I took that wrong, too - think he means the only Fisher PRice model with that option.

K.

Ooops. Yes, that's what he meant. Sorry.