A few questions for Portland, OR and Seattle folks

SurrealistSurrealist 218 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
I was thinking of venturing back to your part of the map in the next couple of months and just wanted to ask about a few things. For those who live in the Seattle area, are there any cool record stores selling 45s besides Bop Street?b,121 b,121 I'm looking mainly for funk 45s and hip hop 12s...Last time I was in town there was a record store near downtown called Zion, but I think they mainly specialized in reggae...also, do you recommend any hotels near Belltown or Capitol Hill? And has anyone been to any of the Ethiopian Restaurants in town? b,121b,121 On a driving-related note, is there a more scenic route from Seattle to Portland or a backroads short cut or do any of you suggest taking a train?b,121b,121 And for the Portland heads, which hotel do you usually suggest for friends/family coming to town? So far, I've looked at Jupiter Hotel and was curious about the hotel from "Drugstore Cowboy" just for novelty's sake, but I don't know about any of the other places that some of you may be familiar with...b,121b,121b,121 Well, take care...and thank you in advance if you choose to reply!

Comments

• The hotel from Drugstore cowboy was on N Interstate which since has been heavily developed (light rail line and new shops and living spaces). If you can give me the name of hotel from the film I can look to see if it still around...

• Iwas called The Clyde Hotel, which was then bought out by the Ace (boutique) chain, and the new name is Ace Hotel Portland.b,121b,121And I know there is also an Ace in Seattle. Last time I was in Seattle, I stayed in the Queen Anne section...it was nice bit not really my style.

• Sorry, I meant to type, "It was..."

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 I was thinking of venturing back to your part of the map in the next couple of months and just wanted to ask about a few things. For those who live in the Seattle area, are there any cool record stores selling 45s besides Bop Street?b,121 b,121 I'm looking mainly for funk 45s and hip hop 12s...Last time I was in town there was a record store near downtown called Zion, but I think they mainly specialized in reggae...also, do you recommend any hotels near Belltown or Capitol Hill? And has anyone been to any of the Ethiopian Restaurants in town? b,121b,121 On a driving-related note, is there a more scenic route from Seattle to Portland or a backroads short cut or do any of you suggest taking a train?b,121b,121 And for the Portland heads, which hotel do you usually suggest for friends/family coming to town? So far, I've looked at Jupiter Hotel and was curious about the hotel from "Drugstore Cowboy" just for novelty's sake, but I don't know about any of the other places that some of you may be familiar with...b,121b,121b,121 Well, take care...and thank you in advance if you choose to reply! b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Golden Oldies on 45th is the only other spot with 45's in any quantity and it's constantly surveyed andb,121picked through. For Hip Hop I'd suggest both Easy St. locations, Zion's Gate, Jive Time, All the spots on theb,121Ave in the U District (although those are all REALLY hit or miss, mostly miss).b,121Take the train from Seattle to Portland that's a nice scenic ride.b,121Try the Ace Hotel, in both towns.b,121And as far as Ethiopian goes, the wife is a picky vegetarian so we don't make it to Ethiopian very often.b,121Come up for the Night Owl Show in Portland on Oct. 18th, always good records to be had there.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm banned for life from the ace in Seattle.

• Yeah The Clyde was in downtown and has been renamed the Ace Hotel Portland now.b,121b,121a href="http://www.acehotel.com/portland" target="_blank"1http://www.acehotel.com/portland/a1b,121b,121The motel from the movie is more problematic.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm banned for life from the ace in Seattle. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Uh oh what did you do?b,121Put a Kaws in your luggage or something?b,121Do tell, I used to work there. I saw some serious wildin' on the nightshift!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 I was thinking of venturing back to your part of the map in the next couple of months and just wanted to ask about a few things. For those who live in the Seattle area, are there any cool record stores selling 45s besides Bop Street?b,121 b,121 I'm looking mainly for funk 45s and hip hop 12s...Last time I was in town there was a record store near downtown called Zion, but I think they mainly specialized in reggae...also, do you recommend any hotels near Belltown or Capitol Hill? And has anyone been to any of the Ethiopian Restaurants in town? b,121b,121 On a driving-related note, is there a more scenic route from Seattle to Portland or a backroads short cut or do any of you suggest taking a train?b,121b,121 And for the Portland heads, which hotel do you usually suggest for friends/family coming to town? So far, I've looked at Jupiter Hotel and was curious about the hotel from "Drugstore Cowboy" just for novelty's sake, but I don't know about any of the other places that some of you may be familiar with...b,121b,121b,121 Well, take care...and thank you in advance if you choose to reply! b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Golden Oldies on 45th is the only other spot with 45's in any quantity and it's constantly surveyed andb,121picked through. For Hip Hop I'd suggest both Easy St. locations, Zion's Gate, Jive Time, All the spots on theb,121Ave in the U District (although those are all REALLY hit or miss, mostly miss).b,121Take the train from Seattle to Portland that's a nice scenic ride.b,121Try the Ace Hotel, in both towns.b,121And as far as Ethiopian goes, the wife is a picky vegetarian so we don't make it to Ethiopian very often.b,121Come up for the Night Owl Show in Portland on Oct. 18th, always good records to be had there. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121wow! thank you...b,121b,121In re: Ethiopian cuisine. Some of the best vegetarian dishes I've tasted are Ethiopian. Not sure if your wife likes lentils or not, but lentils and injera - I highly recommend. A person can order a vegetarian platter that would also include greens and a few other samples of veg cuisine..b,121b,121There are 6 Ethiopian restaurants in the area south of E Pike and north of E Alder, with 29th ave on East side and Broadway on West...I guess this is near Garfield High...

I guess I should have stressed the picky part not the vegetarian part.b,121Both Seattle and Portland have a large Ethiopian and Eritrean populationb,121so there is no shortage of good grub.

• Ahh...I was wondering if someone had a recommendation for one of these places. I wouldn't necessarily trust what I read in The Stranger or Tripadvisor. haha...I do trust Ian in Brooklyn for his recommendations, and I think he is from Pacific NW so maybe I better ask him?!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm banned for life from the ace in Seattle. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121That's cool...I heard the walls are really thin at the Seattle Ace and one can hear EVERYTHING. What's up with the art work in there? Too many horses on that hallway wall...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Queen of Sheba on MLK and Mudai on Broadway in Portland are both good for Ethiopian. I've heard Jarra's on Hawthorne has a great late-night happy hour menu, but I've never eaten there, so I can't vouch for the food.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Queen of Sheba on MLK and Mudai on Broadway in Portland are both good for Ethiopian. I've heard Jarra's on Hawthorne has a great late-night happy hour menu, but I've never eaten there, so I can't vouch for the food. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Jarra's is the spot.

• Portland friends: any thoughts on sushi and Dj nights @ Saucebox (is the crowd too trendy? or is it just right..the Rainbow roll sounds good.b,121b,121Also, anyone ever made it to Disjecta or Burnside Skate Park? Thoughts on Mary's? Hahaha

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Queen of Sheba on MLK and Mudai on Broadway in Portland are both good for Ethiopian. I've heard Jarra's on Hawthorne has a great late-night happy hour menu, but I've never eaten there, so I can't vouch for the food. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Jarra's is the spot. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121thanks

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I won't get into details, but I was with a couple ladies that were misbehaving. The room was under my name tho, and now I'm flagged

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that place sucks anyway

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I won't get into details, but I was with a couple ladies that were misbehaving. The room was under my name tho, and now I'm flagged b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121More often that not it was the chicks who did the craziest stuff at least in my experience.b,121Not that the dudes didn't go for theirs at times.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm looking mainly for funk 45s and hip hop 12s...Last time I was in town there was a record store near downtown called Zion, but I think they mainly specialized in reggae.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Zion's Gate, right? Not sure if they moved since you were last there, but they still had a lot of reggae and dancehall 45's when I was there a year or two ago (I bought a huge lot of Sizzla 45's) but also had significant rows of rock, hip-hop, and disco 12" singles. I don't know if that was just unique for the day. Despite the good amount of reggae 45's there, they were playing Steve Miller.b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eagle.gif" alt="" 21

• Abracadabra, right?...b,121b,121Yes, I had forgotten the full name of the store...All this time I had been thinking it was just called Zion. If memory serves correct, it was downtown, right? On Pike or Pine, can't remember...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Abracadabra, right?...b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121"Fly Like An Eagle", actually.b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121Yes, I had forgotten the full name of the store...All this time I had been thinking it was just called Zion. If memory serves correct, it was downtown, right? On Pike or Pine, can't remember... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's the one, on Pike:b,121a href="http://www.zionsgate.com" target="_blank"1http://www.zionsgate.com/a1

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121That's the one, on Pike:b,121a href="http://www.zionsgate.com" target="_blank"1http://www.zionsgate.com/a1 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Dude who runs the place is kind of a dipshit.b,121He had one bin of original press reggae that was always rinked and way overpriced.b,121Occasionally like once a year he had something I'd buy.b,121Then last time I rolled through, it was all gone.b,121I was like what happened to the ORG section...b,121And I get "Well that stuff was all underpriced, I'm researching it all and putting it onb,121the website, keep checking for it, should be on there in a month or so."b,121Puhlease.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121Also, anyone ever made it to Disjecta or Burnside Skate Park? Thoughts on Mary's? Hahaha b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I liked Disjecta a lot at their old location, but I haven't been to the new one. Burnside is Burnside. If you skate you should hit it up. Everyone I know who has been to Mary's raves about it, but the handful of times I've been I thought it was nothing special. Magic Gardens used to be the spot (Day and Delay will both attest to that), but now it's all about the Hawthorne Strip, formerly known as Dino's.

• Seattle friends: I remember now what I really wanted to ask. Hope I don't come off as too much of a tourist in asking, but does anyone remember the name of that spot where the two guys in Coldcut went shopping for records that had really great finds?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121Also, anyone ever made it to Disjecta or Burnside Skate Park? Thoughts on Mary's? Hahaha b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I liked Disjecta a lot at their old location, but I haven't been to the new one. Burnside is Burnside. If you skate you should hit it up. Everyone I know who has been to Mary's raves about it, but the handful of times I've been I thought it was nothing special. Magic Gardens used to be the spot (Day and Delay will both attest to that), but now it's all about the Hawthorne Strip, formerly known as Dino's. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121...And I think Disjecta might actually be a good place for a 45s night - that is, if i were to move to Portland and wanted to find a place to host a party @. I thought of moving there for a while but the rent for places listed in Craigslist was really high!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Seattle friends: I remember now what I really wanted to ask. Hope I don't come off as too much of a tourist in asking, but does anyone remember the name of that spot where the two guys in Coldcut went shopping for records that had really great finds? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Sorry but is this some kind of common knowledge?b,121Did I miss the thread. If I had to guess I'd say Jive Time.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 Burnside is Burnside. If you skate you should hit it up. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The localism is pretty gnarly at Burnside. If you are the type who can just drop in onb,121a large concrete park and hold your own you'll have fun. If you need some space or are rustyb,121go early in the morning when it's not to crowded.b,121Or try the new Glenhaven park I've heard it's fun.b,121I'm hoping to take a couple rides there myself next time I'm in town.b,121b,121img src="http://skateportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/glenhaven-overview.jpg"1

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121...And I think Disjecta might actually be a good place for a 45s night - that is, if i were to move to Portland and wanted to find a place to host a party @. I thought of moving there for a while but the rent for places listed in Craigslist was really high! b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Lol. Where are you now that you think rents here are high? I got a nice 2 bedroom with almost 1000 square ft. for $695 a month on the edge of one of the ritziest areas in the city. Shit is cheap, but to find a really good deal you need to be on craigslist all week, refreshing like a motherfucker. b,121b,121A 45 night at Disjecta sounds good, I'd show up. But also be aware that Portland can be very fickle about funk and soul nights. Dr. Wu could probably tell you more about that. I had a monthly night at a fairly hip bar for a little bit, but it didn't take long before the mobs of 35-year-old women complaining about the lack of danceable music made me quit.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Queen of Sheba on MLK and Mudai on Broadway in Portland are both good for Ethiopian. I've heard Jarra's on Hawthorne has a great late-night happy hour menu, but I've never eaten there, so I can't vouch for the food. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Jarra's is the spot. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 that!b,121b,121The wife introduced me to this spot. Hand???s down best Ethiopian in town. Though my wife would agree that they have toned down the sauces since the 80???s because, frankly we American???s are pussies about hot and spicy food.b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Portland friends: any thoughts on sushi and Dj nights @ Saucebox (is the crowd too trendy? or is it just right..the Rainbow roll sounds good.b,121b,121Also, anyone ever made it to Disjecta or Burnside Skate Park? Thoughts on Mary's? Hahaha b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Sushi:b,121Mio Sushi ??? Been there, it???s the best in PDX.b,121Saburo's Sushi House ??? Rated the best, long lines, wife says its 2nd best.b,121b,121Burger:b,121Starky???s ??? After Stanish???s and Giant Burger stumbled, this is the best there is.b,121b,121Hot Dogs:b,121The Dog House ??? Drive or walk up, get your Polish dog on.b,121b,121Greek:b,121Alexis ??? Traditional, not that nouveau-greek crap with pasta.b,121b,121As for Mary's and the crap-a-copia of strip clubs in PDX, I will let the connoisseurs speak to that.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I have enjoyed my stay at the ace hotel in seattle. way morre than the sheraton or the other shitty hotel I stayed at on 6th ave.