soulstrut sister?

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    i wish they had a stronger lean on hip hop though, but its still the best music magazine. .

no you don't. You can pick any other major magazine and read about "Anticon, Atmosphere, Quannumn, and Def Jux".

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    is there a site similar to soulstrut for indy/rock/whitemusic/etc...?

http://www.blackcity.org/

• IS ANYONE HERE CIRCUMSIZED?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    anyone else feel like there was a lot of miscommunication in this thread?

not at all. you said" white music."

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    anyone else feel like there was a lot of miscommunication in this thread?

not at all. you said" white music."

Seems like this is a guy who doesn't like/pay attention to "white music" and therefore misses the threads here on it. Conversation may have gone like this:

MANdrew: "I just found this great website about beats and funk and stuff"

woman: "I am into rock and stuff and white people music. Is there anything out there for me?"

The miscommunication might be right there... I mean, this is not a rock-centric website but I know I can always talk about Metallica, Sabbath, Zombies, Pet Sounds, Pearls Before Swine, QOTSA, etc etc etc on this site.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    well, from the looks of it, it seems this thread is as good a place as any to say that I'm writing from Montreal! it's hotter here than Toronto and HAZ has put me up in a wicked dorm room in a great neighbourhood...so hello from la belle province!

Going to see John Holt and Sugar Minott this evening and I beleive that tomorrow, I will be forced to reveal my identity to rootlesscosmo, re-meet Danno, eat delicious Indian food and look for records (contrary to what folks say, there are records in Montreal).

Wish you were here!

MissB

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    well, from the looks of it, it seems this thread is as good a place as any to say that I'm writing from Montreal! it's hotter here than Toronto and HAZ has put me up in a wicked dorm room in a great neighbourhood...so hello from la belle province!

Going to see John Holt and Sugar Minott this evening and I beleive that tomorrow, I will be forced to reveal my identity to rootlesscosmo, re-meet Danno, eat delicious Indian food and look for records (contrary to what folks say, there are records in Montreal).

Wish you were here!

MissB

YOU CAN COLOR ME JELLY RIGHT NOW!!!

Wish you were here!

MissB

COLOR ME JELLY RIGHT NOW!!!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i wish they had a stronger lean on hip hop though, but its still the best music magazine. .

no you don't. You can pick any other major magazine and read about "Anticon, Atmosphere, Quannumn, and Def Jux".

yeah i do...and those aren't the groups i'd like to read about...the way some of the nicer hip hop blogs are written, like cocaine bluntz, can i bring my gatt and stuff along those lines, i'd appreciate knowledge of that spectrum within mojo...then again those blogs exist so i dont need them in a magazine, but im sayin

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    (contrary to what folks say, there are records in Montreal).

MissB

Just not in the amount like 4-5 years ago tho...

And I've also noticed prices have been raised significantly.

Hope ur having a great time!

Dun worry... I'll hold things down here until you get back!

Billy

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    in all seriousness, an ideal forum of what you're talking about would be if the magazine mojo music had a forum. that magazine has good taste in music PERIOD.

i believe U2 is on the cover of Mojo this month no?

that magazine jumped the shark SERIOUSLY a good 4 years ago.. the day they came out with that bullshit "mojo records every rockist on the planet must own on cd right now"

on related magazine BS news i flipped through t he latest issue of the Wire.. kid 606 on the free cd and the same picture of blevin from bletchtum in a bathtub that they must have now run 15 times.. it's like the whole thing is stuck in 1998 mills college nightmare land.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "old white men be runnin' this rap shit!" - Mos Def

He would know. He was signed to Rawkus.

([color:white]and mouth-fucked by Nazis unconscious[/color])

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

yeah i do...and those aren't the groups i'd like to read about...the way some of the nicer hip hop blogs are written, like cocaine bluntz, can i bring my gatt and stuff along those lines, i'd appreciate knowledge of that spectrum within mojo...then again those blogs exist so i dont need them in a magazine, but im sayin

Alien:

I think that was more of a joke. I've come across so many "rock n' roll type of mags" that always review and pick the same type of hip-hop every issue. You know all that college dorm hackey sack bullshit.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    is there a site similar to soulstrut for indy/rock/whitemusic/etc...?

what constitutes whitemusic?

music that blackpeople like?

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Mandrew- to be honest I've actually wondered on a couple of occasions if there existed another message board with this one's level of entertainment value, knowledge, and interactivity with the people actually contributing towards the music scene as this one; but centered on current rock music. If you find one, please let me know.

That said, you can't really label any sort of American (or rock, or whatever) music "white" and not expect to have people take you to task for it, whether or not it was your friend who parsed it out that way. How long you been reading this board for, anyway?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Mandrew- to be honest I've actually wondered on a couple of occasions if there existed another message board with this one's level of entertainment value, knowledge, and interactivity with the people actually contributing towards the music scene as this one; but centered on current rock music. If you find one, please let me know.

Like we said, www.soundopinions.com.

Only thing is, they don't appear to have the historical depth that Soul Strut does, but as far as modern-day Lollapalooza-type stuff, they're in the mix. Same slapstick repartee as Soul Strut, too.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

Alien:

I think that was more of a joke. I've come across so many "rock n' roll type of mags" that always review and pick the same type of hip-hop every issue. You know all that college dorm hackey sack bullshit.

gotcha.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Wish you were here!

MissB

Montreal women, intimitated by the arrival of the ravishing Miss Bassie, have gone into hiding this weekend...It's crazy to see the streets so empty. St. Laurent is a fuckin' hot dog party. People are staring at us everywhere we go. Shit is weird.

John Holt can bring the heat - see this man live; Shinehead kicks ass, too.

Jameson & ice water might end up being the solution to the world's energy promlems.

When a record nerd falls in the steet, does he make a sound?

I heart crazy, elderly sercurity guards.

That is all.

h

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

MissB

Billy

I just got some wicked records! Will post in weekend finds. I'm having a GREAT time - HAZ is taking very good care of me. He is the King of Montreal.

John Holt, Sugar Minott and Shinehead were just amazing last night - real charismatic performers, top-quality voices, no half-ass stage show - non-stop goodness. The sound was unbelievably clean and heavy and it was the same backing band for the whole show and there was not a weak moment from them.

Our night ended at Boustan, a Lebanese food joint, at 4 AM where there was Middle Eastern dance music blaring and a line-up out the door (with good reason, the food was so delicious). There were sporadic bursts of clapping and people dancing (very Middle Eastern thing) and the highlight of it all was when this TOTALLY HOT woman started to dance. I will let HAZ describe it in his own words, but all I can say is that I am pretty sure I have brain damage after watching her move.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I will let HAZ describe it in his own words, but all I can say is that I am pretty sure I have brain damage after watching her move.

One word can sum up this experience:

YO!!!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I will let HAZ describe it in his own words, but all I can say is that I am pretty sure I have brain damage after watching her move.

YO!!!!

Ticket to reggae fest: 35.00

Drinks after the show : 100.00

Falafel combo: 5.00

Fat ass in tight, white pants:

Priceless.

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I will let HAZ describe it in his own words, but all I can say is that I am pretty sure I have brain damage after watching her move.

YO!!!!

Ticket to reggae fest: 35.00

Drinks after the show : 100.00

Falafel combo: 5.00

Fat ass in tight, white pants:

Priceless.

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SWEET JEEBUS!!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

MissB

Billy

I just got some wicked records! Will post in weekend finds. I'm having a GREAT time - HAZ is taking very good care of me. He is the King of Montreal.

John Holt, Sugar Minott and Shinehead were just amazing last night - real charismatic performers, top-quality voices, no half-ass stage show - non-stop goodness. The sound was unbelievably clean and heavy and it was the same backing band for the whole show and there was not a weak moment from them.

Our night ended at Boustan, a Lebanese food joint, at 4 AM where there was Middle Eastern dance music blaring and a line-up out the door (with good reason, the food was so delicious). There were sporadic bursts of clapping and people dancing (very Middle Eastern thing) and the highlight of it all was when this TOTALLY HOT woman started to dance. I will let HAZ describe it in his own words, but all I can say is that I am pretty sure I have brain damage after watching her move.

One other thing: Miss Bassie can put a meal away like nobody else I've ever met - I'm sure dudes will be like "yo, I can eat 5 pizzas" & shit, but, seriously, she has put me to shame & I'm a glutton.

We had lebanese @ 5 am.

Indian food @ 1 pm.

A big Italian meal w/ wine @ 7 pm.

Coffee & snacks in between...& some booze & jamician & thai food the night before.

I've just had 5 pepto tablets, 1 gas x & some tums.

I'm about to meet up with her again, & I hope to god that she's full...

help me.

h

so jelly about the raddness of MTL, it's not even funny

I checked that soundopinions.com board, here is a sample of their topics:

"

Intonation Fest 123?? 18

What's the Worst Ad Song Ever? 12

Poll: Who has fallen the furthest? 123

The SOMB Top 300 Music Videos of All-Time 123?? 9

This Week In 1987

Super Furry Animals 123?? 5

We Post Nothing but YSIs

Best and worst rock album covers of all-time

What's with all the Corgan hate lately? 123

What was the 1st compact disc you ever had? 123?? 7

Iron Maiden setlists 2005: Europe v. America

Favourites and who needs one?

Sleater-Kinney - Metro - October 6th

I want the box set I can't have

Good News from Eminem! 12

Dumb lyrics that you think are great 1234

The album that would be your demo

Whether in a band or not

New Mac widget - displays lyrics of songs

Works with iTunes + OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

Demon Days

is awesome

Devendra

album sampler"

WHITE SOULSTRUT?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

As we speak, Miss Bassie is on a train back to TO. Montrealers are starting to come out of hiding & life is slowly returning to normal...

A whirlwind weekend if there ever was one: Dosas, digging, reggae, St Laurent, falafel, & asses of varying degrees of phatness. I'm fucking pooped out, yo: my feet are killing me, my back is sore & I'm bloated; either I'm partied out or I'm pregnant.

Miss B is quality peoples. She is a lady that you can laugh, chill & dig wit'. Thank you for a great weekend! You've left me grinning like a foll . Can't wait for the next time you pay la belle province a visit!

I'm happy that we bumped into Rootless. That dude is very dude. If you're reading, that chick you was with was hella fly...

Mark, get yourself a plane ticket. What are you waiting for?

Peace

h

She is a lady that you can laugh, chill & dig wit'.
    :raerface:

Mark, get yourself a plane ticket. What are you waiting for?

For some reason, I was doing a search for "conference hell" and this came up:

Some people's idea of hell is funny.

Anyhow, I have a conference to attend/work at and the tri-state area to invade. If I get the chance I might hop up but otherwise maybe in September? Will there still be cheap McGill housing I can rent? THX HAZ!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Anyhow, I have a conference to attend/work at and the tri-state area to invade. If I get the chance I might hop up but otherwise maybe in September? Will there still be cheap McGill housing I can rent? THX HAZ!

September is a little tougher because that's when the students get back. I'll try to pull some strings for you, though. Would you mind staying in a building full of 19 year old girls? If that's a problem, I'll try to find something else for ya...;)

Peace

h

Would you mind staying in a building full of 19 year old girls?

RADD