›

WTF Movie Gossip (Herzog-Related)

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Werner Herzog directing Nicolas Cage in a remake of BAD LIEUTENANT?http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080514i.phpMy first instinct was this was some leftover faux insider news from April Fool's Day but dear god it appears to be true.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh for f*ck's sake. does anyone have an original movie idea anymore?

Cage pulling off sh*t-talking teenage girls he's pulled over and free-basing is as likely as, to quote Charlie Brown, me flapping my arms and flying to the moon.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh god no.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    IF EET IS TO BEING DIRECTED BY HERZOG
    TZEN TRULY NIC CAGE'S INNER PSYCHE
    VILL BE TWIN POOLS OF DARKNESS AND CHAOS.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

P'shaw. Respect the g-d Herzog, man's entire life is the epitome of 'original'.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

P'shaw. Respect the g-d Herzog, man's entire life is the epitome of 'original'.

...an epitome that will be completely undone by this movie. Cage in his last remake:

This man must give some MONSTER head to get the roles he does. Just saying.

Also: HOLY FUKKING SHIT.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    IF EET IS TO BEING DIRECTED BY HERZOG
    TZEN TRULY NIC CAGE'S INNER PSYCHE
    VILL BE TWIN POOLS OF DARKNESS AND CHAOS.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    For some reason this news leaves me feeling strangely numb and elated. It's like a sign that the world has truly gone insane and nothing matters anymore.

B/W I didn't actually particularly like the original but I'm not a big fan of most of Ferrara's work - all feels too pretentious to me personally.

Bonus B/W Does this mean Cage will get his johnson out?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I think that the OG Bad Lieutenant is easily one of the best films of the 90s, so obviously I'm not too thrilled about this. Herzog will obviously make it interesting, but I feel bad even mentioning Nic Cage and Harvey Keitel in the same sentence.

B/W I didn't actually particularly like the original but I'm not a big fan of most of Ferrara's work - all feels too pretentious to me personally.

The Addiction is definitely one of the most pretentious (and worst) movies ever.

from imdb.com - a sample:

Kathleen Conklin: What's your major?
    Anthropology Student: Anthropology.
    Kathleen Conklin: Do you like it?
    Anthropology Student: What else is there? Man is the measure of all things - Protagoras, right? What are you studying?
    Kathleen Conklin: Adversity's sweet milk: philosophy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anthropology Student: Look what you've done to me! How could you do this? Doesn't this affect you at all?
    Kathleen Conklin: No. It was your decision. Your friend Feuerbach wrote that all men counting stars are equivalent in every way to God. My indifference is not the concern here. It's your astonishment that needs studying.

now imagine it in black and white, running for more than an hour AND you've paid to sit through it. AAAAAHHHHHHHGGGGGG.

But Bad Lt., Driller Killer, New Rose Hotel, Ms.45 and The Funeral I think are great films. The Funeral especially. Chris Penn played basically the same character in Short Cuts but better, darker and scarier. I realize I need to see this again just writing about it.

I think that the OG Bad Lieutenant is easily one of the best films of the 90s, so obviously I'm not too thrilled about this.

Yea.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

This man must give some MONSTER head to get the roles he does. Just saying.

The Addiction is definitely one of the most pretentious (and worst) movies ever.

from imdb.com - a sample:

Kathleen Conklin: What's your major?
    Anthropology Student: Anthropology.
    Kathleen Conklin: Do you like it?
    Anthropology Student: What else is there? Man is the measure of all things - Protagoras, right? What are you studying?
    Kathleen Conklin: Adversity's sweet milk: philosophy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anthropology Student: Look what you've done to me! How could you do this? Doesn't this affect you at all?
    Kathleen Conklin: No. It was your decision. Your friend Feuerbach wrote that all men counting stars are equivalent in every way to God. My indifference is not the concern here. It's your astonishment that needs studying.

now imagine it in black and white, running for more than an hour AND you've paid to sit through it. AAAAAHHHHHHHGGGGGG.

Ha! Yeah I remember watching The Funeral and The Addiction as a double bill. The Funeral was shown first and impressed me greatly. I can't honestly say I felt the same about The Addiction, it was more a feeling of wanting to gouge my eyes out and sew up my ears.

I do remember liking Ms.45 and King of New York; I think my problem is that I carry the baggage of his moments of pretension when I watch anything by him which makes sitting through something like Dangerous Game very difficult. I also have issues with Harvey Keitel (I know I know). I've been meaning to revisit Ferrara's catalogue for a while now but I do get the feeling that you have to be "in the mood" to appreciate his movies.

King of New York

that's a funny one, I like it but am not sure if it's actually a good movie. It's a hair away from being a cheesey mess the whole time but somehow avoids crossing the line when all is said and done. David Caruso is in it for land's sake!

King of New York

that's a funny one, I like it but am not sure if it's actually a good movie. It's a hair away from being a cheesey mess the whole time but somehow avoids crossing the line when all is said and done. David Caruso is in it for land's sake!

Yeah Caruso near top billing is not normally a good sign for any movie. To me it's saved by Walken (I am still slightly freaked out by his high pitched laugh and dance scene to this day) and a, truly creepy, killer performance by Fishburne. I'm a sucker for that kind of slightly trashy exploitation style gangster flick anyway though I'd be loathe to get anyone to watch it just on my recommendation.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Things just got a little bit stranger: Werner Herzog and David Lynch just announced a planned project together:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cannes_film_festival_2008/news/1728190/

Herzog has written the script about a deranged San Diego guy who kills his mother with a sword. Not clear from this write-up how Lynch is involved...

Maybe Herzog is just playing mindgames with the press during Cannes?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    King of New York

I agree 100%. It has a lot of corny things going on, but then you see the rosary dangling there and it somehow ends up working. Ferrera is an interesting character, though, the commentary track on Driller Killer is pretty awesome. And co-sign on The Funeral, very good film, and underrated.