25 worst "rappers" of all-time

Comments

• MurcMurc 15 Posts
    Steve-O. I just listened to his Dumbest Asshole In Hip Hop Mixtape. It can't get any worse.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I wonder how many people would flip out when you would put Bob Dylan on this list. Not because they think he isn't a rapper, but cause they think he started this artform with his "subterranean homesick blues"...

There are people that really think that?

At least a famous German tv host (English Rock guy called Alan Bangs who did a show called "Rockpalast", a very influential music show in the 70's for Germany) said something along those lines. He was also voicing the German version of "Breakin'"...go figure!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    let alone Will smith. hes no Rakim but he made some classics

Sayin'. If you're going to dis Smith's early output based solely on "Parents Just Don't Understand," you clearly don't like rap.

Hell, I'll even ride for "Parents..." That shit is still way funkier and funnier than most pop/joke/rap released since.

His early shit is classic material.

Goddamn. You see the dudes throw up the Hilltop handsigns halfway through Jeff's routine, right? So ill.

Was this at After Midnight?

I dont know where this is. Ralph McDaniels would play this all the time on Video Music Box.

It was Kool Moe Dee,BDP & Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince...probably a Jive promo tour.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah I'm saying that I think it has to be Philly cause of the Hilltop handsigns.

Makes sense to me. Was Hilltop a crew,gang, or just a tight hood?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

This made my day. Thank you. I forgot that Ready Rock C was no fuckin' slouch on the beatbox.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

There MAY have been dudes who claimed it as both but really it's just the neighborhood, it's a section of West Philly, north of Market St. and west of 52nd St.

There MAY have been dudes who claimed it as both but really it's just the neighborhood, it's a section of West Philly, north of Market St. and west of 52nd St.

Back in the day i hung out w/ some freinds who had cousins from Philly. This is around 83-84ish. The Philly cats were debatin amongst themselves which was harder...West vs South....

What's the story?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Can we get a Malachi the Nutcracker?

yes.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    let alone Will smith. hes no Rakim but he made some classics

Sayin'. If you're going to dis Smith's early output based solely on "Parents Just Don't Understand," you clearly don't like rap.

Hell, I'll even ride for "Parents..." That shit is still way funkier and funnier than most pop/joke/rap released since.

His early shit is classic material.

Goddamn. You see the dudes throw up the Hilltop handsigns halfway through Jeff's routine, right? So ill.

Was this at After Midnight?

I dont know where this is. Ralph McDaniels would play this all the time on Video Music Box.

It was Kool Moe Dee,BDP & Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince...probably a Jive promo tour.

I got a few of these vidz from that show.

Skinny Boys threw down and there's some Steady B & Schoolly D shit also on it.

This list is pretty craptacular

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Back in the day i hung out w/ some freinds who had cousins from Philly. This is around 83-84ish. The Philly cats were debatin amongst themselves which was harder...West vs South....

What's the story?

Hahah. Well I'm from South Philly so you know that we're WAY Frickin' HARDER hahah. Psyche, but honestly around that time Philly was pretty Frickin' gully all over. That's the Goode years and that was a really tough time in the city. They both were tough for different reasons. You had West Philly which was pretty ill around Hilltop, 52nd St, down Chester Ave, Lancaster Ave, The Bottom, all real ill neighborhoods at the time. The Bottom actually borders the area known as Parkside ("P.S.K. What does that mean?") and even now, the last time I was up there a few years ago that shit was still pretty raw. I swear there are parts of Philly that are just so Frickin' wrecked it looks like you would imagine Dresden to look like, or The Bronx in the seventies. But then in South Philly it's also unreal the shit that goes down there too. The whole Point Breeze, Grey's Ferry, West Passyunk Ave area is ill. Like Beanie Sigel says "South Philly Motherfuckers kill at will" that shit is real as a motherfucker. But probably the illest shit I ever saw was North Philly aka "Badlands" (aka "Puerto Rican North Philly") in the early 90s. That's like from Girard to Erie, from Broad to Front St. Now it's a partly a hipster neighborhood but back in teh day it basically was an open air drug market like they show on the wire. Dudes walking around with saw-offs like it's nothing, mad Frickin' chickens and roosters running around the streets. Shit was ill.

But yeah, Philly is raw. Shit is STILL raw. People don't understand that. I almost moved back from Brooklyn when people started to get popped on my mom's block, I was that shook for her and the fam. As much shit as PhillyStress talks, and as much shit I don't agree with he says, I understand where the dude is coming from, you feel me?

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    dude who compiled this list clearly doesn't listen to rap. I say that based less on who he included, but on who he excluded.

exactly....U dont even include Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer if your serious about it.

Ha, touche...

What's the story?

Hahah. Well I'm from South Philly so you know that we're WAY Frickin' HARDER hahah. Psyche, but honestly around that time Philly was pretty Frickin' gully all over. That's the Goode years and that was a really tough time in the city. They both were tough for different reasons. You had West Philly which was pretty ill around Hilltop, 52nd St, down Chester Ave, Lancaster Ave, The Bottom, all real ill neighborhoods at the time. The Bottom actually borders the area known as Parkside ("P.S.K. What does that mean?") and even now, the last time I was up there a few years ago that shit was still pretty raw. I swear there are parts of Philly that are just so Frickin' wrecked it looks like you would imagine Dresden to look like, or The Bronx in the seventies. But then in South Philly it's also unreal the shit that goes down there too. The whole Point Breeze, Grey's Ferry, West Passyunk Ave area is ill. Like Beanie Sigel says "South Philly Motherfuckers kill at will" that shit is real as a motherfucker. But probably the illest shit I ever saw was North Philly aka "Badlands" (aka "Puerto Rican North Philly") in the early 90s. That's like from Girard to Erie, from Broad to Front St. Now it's a partly a hipster neighborhood but back in teh day it basically was an open air drug market like they show on the wire. Dudes walking around with saw-offs like it's nothing, mad Frickin' chickens and roosters running around the streets. Shit was ill.

But yeah, Philly is raw. Shit is STILL raw. People don't understand that. I almost moved back from Brooklyn when people started to get popped on my mom's block, I was that shook for her and the fam. As much shit as PhillyStress talks, and as much shit I don't agree with he says, I understand where the dude is coming from, you feel me?

Oh..No question.

My co-worker lived in Philly back in the days,and went back like last weekend to show his daughter the city. He was flabberghasted at some of the real...real extra ghetto lookin spots he came across.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I never quite understood when the first few times I went to California and dudes would be like "Oh this is a real tough neighborhood" and shit and I would look around and see trees and lawns and shit.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I never quite understood when the first few times I went to California and dudes would be like "Oh this is a real tough neighborhood" and shit and I would look around and see trees and lawns and shit.
    echo park is beautiful early in the morning but once it starts getting dark i would not fuck with it.

dude cos c'mon.

echo park is beautiful early in the morning but once it starts getting dark i would not fuck with it.

really though? echo park is pretty alright at any hour of the day these days IMO.

not to say there aren't people in Echo Park that get down, but it's no MacArthur Park.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Hahaha, the rule of thumb that was given to me when I first moved out here was, "If the building looks new, it's the PJs."

Hahaa...

Baltimore & Philly got some delapidated houses w/ trash on tha lawn steez.

Shit is real. U can still find that type of shit in East New York & even parts of Long Island. Some real desperate shit.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

really though? echo park is pretty alright at any hour of the day these days IMO.

not to say there aren't people in Echo Park that get down, but it's no MacArthur Park.
    Last time i was there it was like 5 years ago. The first night we arrived the entire block got locked down because some guy who shot a cop was hiding out in one of the houses on the block. At about sundown I saw a whole mess of cholos chilling at the park. I cant say they where being belligerent but i was looking to go play some handball with them either.

I have heard echo park is a lot nicer now though so youre probably right man.

Last time i was there it was like 5 years ago. The first night we arrived the entire block got locked down because some guy who shot a cop was hiding out in one of the houses on the block. At about sundown I saw a whole mess of cholos chilling at the park. I cant say they where being belligerent but i was looking to go play some handball with them either.

I have heard echo park is a lot nicer now though so youre probably right man.

I suppose one can get caught slipping in either location though. there are some hot corners I'm sure at night.

unrelated aside: remember Scott Glenn in Training Day? his house was in Echo Park.

they are supposedly draining the lake this summer for repairs. hate to see what (who?) they find at the bottom of that thing!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Trust me, there are plenty of places where I would rather not step my foot in (or drive through in), including South Central. They don't call it killa cali for nothing....

oh, and we have lawns because we have space.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Hahaa...

Baltimore & Philly got some delapidated houses w/ trash on tha lawn steez.

Shit is real. U can still find that type of shit in East New York & even parts of Long Island. Some real desperate shit.

I was driving around Brownsville the other day and I don't care what you say that is the illest neighborhood in NYC period. There are some wild parts of LI, definitely the BX (Baychester, Morrisania, Fort Apache, etc) parts of Harlem and so on... Bed Stuy do or die and I still don't fuck with Bushwick hell what the hipsters stay but um... The Ville dogs. I do not mess around out there. In and out.

I'm saying, my hommie from The East (oh my god! Danger!) used to say, back in the day him and his crew used to ride up to Cypress Hills and Ozone Park and jack for bmx bikes, then the kids from Brownsville would come down the hill and jack them! lol.

Brownsville is no f*cking joke, even to this day. You know it's wild, everywhere else I go there are vacants and burnt out apartments and stuff, you rarely see that in NY anymore (unless it's some "gut renovation" business) but in Brownsville there's still an entire 4 or 5 building PROJECT that's completely vacant. I suppose they're gonna demolish it like in Chicago but it's been there for mad years, still squatters up in there and everything. They've gone in and put up new developments in most of the old empty lots and so on so it looks nicer, but it's I think pound for pound the poorest neighborhood in all five boroughs, most crime, incarceration rates, malnutrition, infant death, etc etc etc.

My uncle was a PS principal in the Ville deep in the late 80s and has some ill stories...

Hahaha. Totally off topic. WTF Cos!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Y'all know (but ain't seeing) this one...

Uptowns my home, that's where I do my dirt
    I either hurt or get hurt, it's me or you on that shirt
    Watch that infra red on Sunday it's going down
    Look, I never found a town like Uptown

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

What's the story?

NORTH

really right now it's probably south... them fools is off the chain down there

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    This might be the worst "Top List" I've read in a long time. The fact that he puts up shit like Chicago Bears, Dan Aykroyd And Tom Hanks & Elvira. I mean, come on. Why not just throw up 80's TV commercials also like this gemm in the list.

http://www.videosift.com/video/Wendys-training-video-featuring-80s-rap

This guy must know a bit about hip hop tho. Just the fact that he knew who Bobby Jimmy & The Rappin' Duke are must mean he knows more than the average rap fan. But even those guys shouldn't be on the list.

The shit he say's about Will Smith are pretty funny. He's a lousy rapper because he makes "safe" raps? Will could rock a jam harder on his worst day than money could on his best.

Oh..No question.

My co-worker lived in Philly back in the days,and went back like last weekend to show his daughter the city. He was flabberghasted at some of the real...real extra ghetto lookin spots he came across.

Batmon, back in the mid 80's I brought some of my peoples from the South BX to my spot in North Philly, around 19th & Jefferson. Dudes were SHOOK. Like "yo, B, this schitt look worse than the Bronx!" And it did. I used to go to sleep hearing gunshots almost every night.
    I could type all night about some of the schitt i've seen / heard about in the skreets of Philly... Badlandz stories, South Philly schitt (I know you know how it is around Big Jazz's way down 21st & Sigel, Cos... he be tellin' me some wild schitt), West, Southwest.... the Northeast is next

dam, this thread really got derailed, didn't it? fresh prince was dope, btw

Oh..No question.

Batmon, back in the mid 80's I brought some of my peoples from the South BX to my spot in North Philly, around 19th & Jefferson. Dudes were SHOOK. Like "yo, B, this schitt look worse than the Bronx!" And it did. I used to go to sleep hearing gunshots almost every night.
    I could type all night about some of the schitt i've seen / heard about in the skreets of Philly... Badlandz stories, South Philly schitt (I know you know how it is around Big Jazz's way down 21st & Sigel, Cos... he be tellin' me some wild schitt), West, Southwest.... the Northeast is next

dam, this thread really got derailed, didn't it? fresh prince was dope, btw

I remember visting Baltimore back in the early 80's. And shit waas crazy grimey, along w/ the very beuatiful Brownstone areas.
    To me places like Philly,B-More,Buffalo,smaller cities....when shit is fucked up, its a country style fucked up. Correct mt if im wrong. But the Burnt Down Bronx days was on some bricks in the street shit and alot of what ive seen is simialer but still has a more counrty feel to it. That Fat Albert shit.
    Poverty is poverty regardless.But extreme Urban Decay isnt quite the same as some of the smaller cities. I really talmbout architecture & Landscape.

Not that this changes the level of gulliness.

I remember visting Baltimore back in the early 80's. And shit waas crazy grimey, along w/ the very beuatiful Brownstone areas.
    To me places like Philly,B-More,Buffalo,smaller cities....when shit is fucked up, its a country style fucked up. Correct mt if im wrong. But the Burnt Down Bronx days was on some bricks in the street shit and alot of what ive seen is simialer but still has a more counrty feel to it. That Fat Albert shit.
    Poverty is poverty regardless.But extreme Urban Decay isnt quite the same as some of the smaller cities. I really talmbout architecture & Landscape.

Not that this changes the level of gulliness.

when i lived in North Philly in the 80s my area was a lot like that picture... a lot of burnt out or abandoned buildings looking like a bomb had hit and schitt. the inner-city part of philly is mostly rowhouses, no lawns and not many trees and all that. straight up concrete and brick. that is changing now, though, with some of these new developments that are taking the place of some of the recently imploded projects. coming from NYC i guess i can understand why you might think it has more of a country feel... EVERYWHERE is more country than New York. it depends on where you're at in Philly, though... there are definitely some areas that are very new york-esque as far as having that hardcore straight-up city feel IMO. Ain't but one New York, though

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I hear what you're saying though Batmon. But truth be told, Philly is just country as fuck in general.