What Would You Do With $20,000?

13»

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Talk to my brother (he's a stock broker) and figure out if it would make more sense to pay down my student loans to about $3000 or invest and continue to pay outrageous sums of interest on the loans.

Or rock a down payment on a rental property? Man, I really don't know enough about finance.

If your interest rates on the student loan are more than 10% than pay those off. A good return on investments is 10%/year. Plus, there's nothing like being free of debt. There's nothing worse than working a shitty job just to pay off debt.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    dont you live in the dallas area rock?
    or am i confused?
    if so, that must be a cotdam mansion.

I live out in the sticks.

Didn't you say White Settlement?

I live in the equally awful-named town of Trophy Club

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...m%3D1%26hl%3Den

I really thought it was White Settlement or Flower Mound.. one of those.

The crib of the one Rockadelic?

Nah....my grass is green......three levels, 4,000 square feet up on a hill.

8 mile view from my balcony but only a 2 car garage.

Our first house was a POS.....$50K in what some might call "tha hood".... spent 10 years there.

Then we flipped and moved up to $150K and spent 10 years there.

In '05 we moved to where we are now.....

Point being, you have to work your way up.....too many folks want their "Dream House" at 25 years of age and that's why there are so many homeowners in over their heads and being foreclosed on.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Talk to my brother (he's a stock broker) and figure out if it would make more sense to pay down my student loans to about $3000 or invest and continue to pay outrageous sums of interest on the loans.

Or rock a down payment on a rental property? Man, I really don't know enough about finance.

If your interest rates on the student loan are more than 10% than pay those off. A good return on investments is 10%/year. Plus, there's nothing like being free of debt. There's nothing worse than working a shitty job just to pay off debt.

One of my student loans is like that. With 20K I get a PS3, a new computer and some shit for the lab, including s.erato, and then pay off that wack loan quickfast. The rest goes in the bank to save up to pay the other loans when they're due.