other people buying you records

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
im sure we all get a few records from friends or relatives sometimes, but isnt it great when theyre actually good?my girlfriend picked this up for me on a whim at goodwill and, although the pictured side isnt my cup of tea at all, the flip is SO GOOD.IMG src=http://photos.puresoulie.com/hotbisuit1450.jpg>what was the best thing you ever got from somebody who usually isnt "RR"?

Comments

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    I do remember asking an ex-girlfriend of mine to find me a steve poindexter 12" when she was in New York on vacation back in the day. I knew she would never find it. Although she called me and said she had, she came back with this:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the flip is SO GOOD.

Cowboys & Indians? That song is ILL. I see that 45 around
    and it's one of the few that I'll just try to push on random
    people shopping around me - but everyone blows it off cause it
    looks like whimp pop.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Mmmmmmmm, i tried to surprise my boy with a record a few weeks back that i quite liked and thought he may also, but he didn't seem that impressed!!
    Yeah- you know who you are!!haha!!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    the flip is SO GOOD.

Cowboys & Indians? That song is ILL.

yeah im sure i've passed on it before. she was excited to hear what she had found for me, found a youtube video of some dude playing "cowboys & indians" and she was like "i did good, huh?" and i was like "yes."

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    im sure we all get a few records from friends or relatives sometimes, but isnt it great when theyre actually good?

my girlfriend picked this up for me on a whim at goodwill and, although the pictured side isnt my cup of tea at all, the flip is SO GOOD.

IMG src=http://photos.puresoulie.com/hotbisuit1450.jpg>

what was the best thing you ever got from somebody who usually isnt "RR"?

That's a cheap cop, too. I just saw a copy go for $4 on the Bay. Actually, like $4.25 or so. I bid the $4.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    nothing beats sheeps girl bringing him a copy of nico gomez

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    today is my birthday, and my girl woke me up with a copy of the first record I ever had when I was 4 years old..Ferdinand the Bull...that means more to me than any raer ever. Fuggin' Ferdinand!

• An old friend once sent me a mint copy of Jack McDuff's 'Moon Rappin'.
    I was all

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I love buying other people records and have been given some great records by others over the years, too.

One Strutter gave me an Aretha Franklin record because he knew I was looking for One Step Ahead and another gave me a minty Talk to the People knowing it was on my wants list.

What's nice is that these records remind me of my friends.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    A good friend of mine on this board always hooks up the ill raer birthday presents... thanks homie you are that dude!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Was recently given a mint copy of Bill Wither's +Justments a friend found in a market for ??2.00.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

yes yes. that was a good day. i always got mad at my mom and girl buying me records back then....

they tried to piss me off after I told them not to me anything else... they went down and bought a record with "titties" on the cover as a joke...

yes it was a minty nico gomez.

maybe it was the diggin' gods lookin' down to be nicer to people who buy presents out of good will!

b

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Didn't Egon mention in some video that his girlfriend bought him a copy of Honky Tonk Popcorn thinking it was some country music?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    today is my birthday, and my girl woke me up with a copy of the first record I ever had when I was 4 years old..Ferdinand the Bull...that means more to me than any raer ever. Fuggin' Ferdinand!

Very cool...it took me a couple of years to track down the first record I had as a kid...."Ozzie The Ostrich"!!

My wife brought this home from a Thrift Store a few years back because it "looked cool".

• happy birthday HookUp!

my girl just surprised me with a couple records for my birthday- nothing that was officially 'wanted' but some great music i didn't already have- a Sonny Boy Williamson LP and a Sarah Vaughan on Roulette

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    my girlfriend picked this up for me on a whim at goodwill and, although the pictured side isnt my cup of tea at all, the flip is SO GOOD.

DAMN! A record made with biscuit money, distributed by Capitol, a Koppleman-Rubin ordeal, I would suspect it's hotter than an All-Star remix of SWV's "Anything", yes?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    My wife brought this home from a Thrift Store a few years back because it "looked cool".

a/k/a "it looks freaky, he might dig this"

So the question is: was there anything decent on it?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    This girl I know from college's grandma passed and she found a box of 45s when she was cleaning out her place. She naturally kept them and brought them to me. Loads of Rockabilly that I'm not into, but there was one with the title "Terrible Ivan" that has the best vocals ever. I gotta use that in a mix someday.

My mom's manager who was a roadie for all sorts of rock groups in the 70s after being an OG northern soul DJ in the 60s gave me a 13th Floor Elevators LP when I was at his house. That would be a better story if I had left with his soul 45 collection... thousands of goodies. I'm still waiting for him to sell it to me.

• A friend of mine's girlfriend came back after a trip out west and told him she saw a cool looking record that she thought he would've liked, but ultimately passed on for $0.50. Said record? Plastic Cloud.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

a/k/a "it looks freaky, he might dig this"

So the question is: was there anything decent on it?

It's one of the very best Teen Garage Psych Xian LP's evar!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Various family members and friends sometime bring me typical thrift shop garbage but I don't think there's ever been anything remotely worthwhile. I suppose it's the thought that counts. My girlfriend on the other hand has brought me home loads of goods stuff over the years. Off the top of my head... 1st Funkadelic, Hey Love, both Stanly Cowells on Strata East, sealed Buari on RCA, $27 Snap on Face, Odessey & Oracle (she knew I wanted this actually), etc, etc.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    no one has ever bought me records, except my dad who once brought me dennis coffey electric coffey and swamp dogg. that was nice

Ako, is that the same girlfriend that picked you up some awesome synth/keyboard something for 50 cents at the thrift a little while ago?

indeed she did, but it was $29.99:

IMG src=http://www.proun.net/img/roland/roland_sh09.jpg>

the thing i dont get is why people who are trying to do well attempting to find something you MIGHT like do better at these places than people who know exactly what they are looking for?

my friend who doesnt really collect records at all found a copy of Silver Apples' "Contact" at the SHITTIEST (for records) salvation army in town, a few days after a friend of mine told him to "check them out". he gave it to that friend before i even knew he had it.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    My wife knows a lot about records. She picks things out for me pretty often, they end up in the same household for us all to enjoy. We dig together after breakfast on the weekends and take road trips to find records. A very lovely thing if you can find it. I feel fortunate.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    happy birthday HookUp!

thank you!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    My girl knows I like Lalo Schifrin and gave me More Mission Impossible a couple years back. And her friend once gave me a Funky Nassau 45 that turned up at her grandmas cabin amongst some classical records. My dad got me a Heiro record one year for christmas.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    the cover jus looks like any other ole comp. but within is pure heat.

my ol old lady braught this back from england as my xmas present ,. the guy who sold it to her said it was an import from america to europe only? or somethin' weird. so she gave it to me becus she said he was playin it at the shoppe, and if she had a record player that is what she would wanna hear.

heres the traklisst;

side uno~
    the hustlers - boston monkey
    ozzie torrens - ozzaboo
    sony knight - besame mucho
    braney kessel - summertime
    johnnie taylor - blues in the night
    huey smith & the clowns - hes back again
    lucky clark - let me be the fool

side dos -
    jimmy hughes - my loving time
    bobby & valerie capers - west 4th street
    jimmy dell - skippin
    jack costanzo - viva tirado
    little deans combo - drop out
    the sherwoods - nanette

side tres ;
    la lupe - fever (45 cut)
    jimmy gilford - nobody loves me like me baby
    dorothy berry - watch out
    jimmy wisner - choppin around
    the champs - sombrero
    the tomkos - spook
    curtis blandon - mr imagination

side quatro '
    clarence hill - a lot of loving going around
    brenton wood - mr schemer
    gale garnett - youve been talking about me baby
    jimmy beaumon - theres no other love
    hank levine - image
    the diablos - el bandito
    the five counts - watermelon walk

lots of good covers. annd some really dope instrumentelz
    i need some info on this! anybody?? its on Bit Records// anything at all~! or anything about the label, i have never heard about or seen this label before

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    likewise, only pops has gotten me records, but he is even worst of a record collectro than I.

my gf got me nigerian special (soundwayz) on cd recently, and tickets to see silver apples. She also lent me her Love - Forever Changes cd, I'm not complaining at all.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

"cause the cover looked cool"

"cause the cover looked cool"

i have a feeling a lot of Niagras and Skull Snaps fall into the "wrong" hands because of this.