Somebody explain this American habit to me

YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
When I was living in LA, I never got over the super-stupid habit of people jogging in the street, rather than on the pavement. I was living in Westwood and saw it in my neighborhood, in neighboring Beverly Hills, down in Santa Monica and around the office in Orange County - actually, basically everywhere.It's one thing to do this when you have streets as wide as in the US......but now I am back in London it really irritates me when I see people doing it on the much narrower street. And it seems that all those who are doing it are Americans.The icing on the cake is when they do it on the right in the US, on the left in the UK (they ALWAYS do!) and when they use an iPod (they usually do!) to make sure that they are completely oblivious to a car approaching from behind.Is this some wack protest against car culture or is it, as somebody once tried to make me believe, because the "soft" asphalt of the street is easier on the joints then the "hard" concrete of the pavement? For a moment I believed that but as (at least in LA) power-walking (instead of jogging) was in, I can't accept that this is the reason...

Comments

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    As you stated, the asphalt of the street is softer than the sidewalk, making it much easier on the joints. As you get older it's very important to take care of your joints, and running everyday on a hard surface will definitely do damage.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    because the "soft" asphalt of the street is easier on the joints then the "hard" concrete of the pavement?

and running on the sidewalk is

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    because the "soft" asphalt of the street is easier on the joints then the "hard" concrete of the pavement?

and running on the sidewalk is

yeah, as is fools who ride their bikes on the sidewalk.

it's one thing to pop over the curb once you reach your destination,
    but getting from point A to point B is meant to be done on the STREET.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    sidewalk = people walking, slowly walking, and getting in your way when you're in the f*ckin zone chief

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    It might have a lot to do with sidewalk gum, raised broken concrete from tree roots, barking dogs behind fences and the canine crap that the owners are too lazy to pick up, mothers pushing along strollers and various litter that has accumulated on the curb. I live in L.A. and while I'm no health nut, I try to avoid the sides as much as possible.

• "American habit"? lol

• I hate these assholes more than the wannabe Lance Armstrongs.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I hate these assholes more than the wannabe Lance Armstrongs.

huh?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    What drives me nuts are the Frickin' bike riders who think they're cars. Riding in the middle of real streets and shit. I'm sorry. No. Streets are for cars and not your 12mph going neon spandex-clad ass. Frickin' weekend warrior REI shopping pieces of shit.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    And whats with all these people who call it a "garage"? Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.

And whats with all these people who call it a "garage"? Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.

and what do you call it?

a car hole.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    a car hole

LOL

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I hate Frickin' cars in the street when i'm trying to skateboard there. Who the fuck and where the fuck do they think they are?

you'll never find the animal chin with that attitude taza.

skitch that schitt brrrrrrrrrro!

• americans (i'm guilty of this myself) also tend to say "that is SO funny" and then not laugh. why do we do that? i do think it's funny. and i laugh a lot. how come i can't combine my verbal appreciation of something amusing with laughter???

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I always thought it was botox related

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    It's secret code.