Does anyone have Carpal Tunnel / Radial Nerve ISH?

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
My left forearm and wrist is screaming at me the past two days. Its kinda swollen and lumpy on the bone about 2" from the wrist. I've never had these issues before. I imagine it is from shipping, bartending and computer use. I know that rest is probably the only way to fix the issue, but the pain is pretty unbearable and annoying and I still have to go to work. It radiates into my elbow and up into my shoulder ( this is why I think its the radial nerve ) What can I do to alleviate some of the pain ?My mom had carpal tunnel and used to do hot wax treatments, that is actually where I go the idea for the Waxtherapy moniker, but that isn't an option quite yet. She also used one of those electric current thing-ama-bobs ( which are awesome I wish I had one) I'm going to wrap it in a soft sprain wrap, can't really do the splint while at the bar.Should I be icing or heating it? Elevating? Are there any herbal remedies that promote circulation and ease the pain? I'm not convinced that it is CT but I'm sure its some kind of Repetitive Stress Dysfuntion.Would be Interested in hearing about anything that might help. Its a very deep dull pain similar to a greenstick fracture. I can't describe the lumpyness other than its kind of a knot and doesn't feel squishy.Anyone ever experience this before?

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hey alice!

First off heat is BAD! it feels good, but makes it worse in the long run.

Sounds to me like you need some exercises for your wrists. But iys hard for me to describe over the nets. Ill look it up for you.

I suffer from it too from almost the exact same reasons as you.

it suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    also does it start from your thumb to your wrists then down your arm??

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    My mom had bad carpal tunnel. She had all sorts of braces, special keyboards, etc. When those didn't work she was getting some sort of shots, I want to say cortizone, but I'm not exactly sure. Finally it got so bad that she had surgery, and its cleared up since. Still she keeps her arms elevated over the keyboard, and sleeps with special braces on her wrists.
    My wrists hurt a lot too, especially when I turn them towards my torso. I don't think its CTS because it comes and goes, but I've put some binders under my arms when I type and its been helping. Good luck Alice and Elise, hope it clears up for you soon.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I can't say it is in my thumb really that I've noticed. There is some tingling and numbness in my finger tips. Mostly just intense pain in the wrist and forearm.

How is heat bad? I always thought Ice/Cold was bad...freezing up...not good, even though it helps with pain. Very East vs. West though. I thought you were supposed to alternate, But With muscle issues, not joint issues. I dunno. Ive been trying to stretch it out but I don't want to make the swelling worsen.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hm, i dunno why its(heat) exactly bad . just what my doctor told me.

Have you talked to yours yet? Maybe thats best cause every situation is different sometimes. And not to sound pessimistic, but maybe its worse and its best to get it taken care of now.

I am one of those people who can deal with the pain for a while until i need surgery. I don't suggest it.

good luck!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    a friend of mine who suffers from this immensly approached the matter with a sport perspective

exercise (breakdance pushups : on your palms with pressureon the line under your finger, or pushups standing on your fingers)

stretching

rest

it strengthens the area (for your work) while preserving it from injury

and brings down the pain on the long term

good luck

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'm sure you have already, but Googling "carpal tunnel natural" brings up quite a bit. Seems like B6 is pretty central. Here's an article, but there's quite a few to look through.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    If spending a lot of time on the computer is a big part of it, I'd definitely suggest working on your computer "posture." I used to have really serious carpal tunnel pain until I started to consciously adjust my sitting posture at the computer. I don't know that there is a universal posture, but I've found one that works for me and I haven't had carpal tunnel issues in a few years.

• soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts

These exercises are not so bad. I'll take it! I've always used my hands for a lot of detail work. I fear carpal tunnel but I try not to think about it. I really should stretch more.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Unable to pitch in with a cure... just going to say that I can 'click' my wrist, presumably from too much mouse usage, in the same way that you can 'click' your knuckles. Don't know if it helps in anyway, but provides a little short-term relief.

I think posture is def the way to avoid long-term probs, just need to work out what the best hand/wrist/arm position is. I'll also try those carpel exercises.