High Fidelity revisited (deleted scene)

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Beverly D'Angelo was on the new Law & Order this week,
    and was not looking blaptastical.

In fact, she was looking kinda Tammy Faye Bakeresque.

(yes, closet Law & Order fans REVEALED!)

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    I totally agree!! Although admittedly, i have never used the word "blaptastic" but she wasn't really looking as such in her Entourage appearances!!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    in the book i think its 'you left the water running' maybe? one of my favorite redding songs

In the book, yes it was. But that's a $20 single at best.

What Otis Redding single is worth $200?

Maybe one of his pre-Volt sides like "Shout Bamalama"?

Otis Redding and the Pinetoppers' Shout Bamalama / Fat Gal was released on 5 labels (Confederate/Orbit, then Conco/Bethlehem/King), but aside from a few Popsike rarities, I'm not sure that it regularly hits 2.

And none of these go for big $$$:
    (as The Shooters featuring Otis Redding) Trans World 6908 - Tuff Enough / She's Alright (1960)
    (as Otis Redding and the Shooters) Finer Arts 2016 - She's Alright / Tough Enough (1960)
    Alshire 5082 - Gettin' Hip / Gamma Lama (1960)
    Gerland 1001 - Gettin' Hip / Gamma Lama (1960)

in the book i think its 'you left the water running' maybe? one of my favorite redding songs

Well, it does take place in the UK. There are definitely records
    which are scarce in England that are still plentiful enough in the
    US to be much less valuable here. $200 is a stretch, though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

The record knowledge in the movie is uniformly wrong - hell, he's saying that Roy Orbison "Only the Lonely" is like a $200 record in that scene which is a joke... can't remember how accurate the book was (and you'd have to keep in mind there are plenty of US commons whose UK counterparts are valuable)

(and you'd have to keep in mind there are plenty of US commons whose UK counterparts are valuable)

Yeah, that's what I was getting at above, although I don't see as much
    Stax/Volt stuff in UK presses going for the Tamla money.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I like how the LPs on the shelf obviously contain a ton of filler pieces.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I like how the LPs on the shelf obviously contain a ton of filler pieces.

In the movie, there were certain album covers that just kept turning up in different scenes, regardless. Rudy Ray Moore's Eat Out More Often and the Persuaders' The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me got a lot of exposure in that flick...were they trying to imply that these records were dollarbin commons in Chicago? Well, they're not exactly rare, but whether the scene took place at the store, a club, a flea market, somebody's house - those two albums were around. And I'm sure Bev D'Angelo had some copies stashed at her crib, too.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Not quite the same, but a friend of mine who works at a local shop did turn down $100+
    to appraise a collection for a lady who was going through a divorce. Apparently her husband
    had a minty fresh Blue Note collection....
    If she was offering up the whole lot for $50 he would have been all over that shit I'm sure.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Not to be uber-dorky but what version of "God Save the Queen" was that? The artwork is the same as this: http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=3840725434

...but it doesn't look like either the Virgin or A&M versions of the single.

It had the boxed EMI logo on it. Looks like a reissue, because the OG EMI was tan & red.

Weird - you'd think the production designers would have gone with something more authentic.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Does anyone else think John Cusack was completely wrong for this role?

Yeah, they should have got Vin Diesel in.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Does anyone else think John Cusack was completely wrong for this role?

Yeah, they [c]ould have got Vin Diesel in.

For me setting it in the US was completely wrong... but once that's done, I don't think the casting could have been much better. Worth it just for Jack Black really.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    There's also a stray, lonely copy of Liquid Liquid sitting in the rack throughout the film.

I get really frustrated when I see it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I really want that Index reissue framed above the LPs.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I liked High fidelity - it's always hard to make movies based on books that have sort of a cult following, but I think they did a good job. You have to narrow the story down, sure, but it worked. It being set in the US didn't upset me.

The scene when he's dj:ing is pretty corny though. He's an old, jaded, bitter record dude - why is he playing the Frickin' Chemical Brothers?

I liked High fidelity - it's always hard to make movies based on books that have sort of a cult following, but I think they did a good job. You have to narrow the story down, sure, but it worked. It being set in the US didn't upset me.

It didn't bother me, either. Granted, I saw the flick before I read the book, but there is nothing the UK book has that can't be translated into a US movie.

The scene when he's dj:ing is pretty corny though. He's an old, jaded, bitter record dude - why is he playing the Frickin' Chemical Brothers?

...on the Westbound label!

That's right up there with the scene in The Warriors where they're listening to hard-rock 78's on the jukebox!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I was excited when I saw the movie as there is a shot with an issue of Magnet in the background that my band was in, although it is impossible to read our band name on the cover in the movie...but just the sight of the cover made me go "hey!"

isnt the opening scene of the record spinning with 13th floor Elevators playing an impulse label?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That's right up there with the scene in The Warriors where they're listening to hard-rock 78's on the jukebox!

In the Lizzies Hangout?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    does anyone else have a horrible poker face when it comes to records? i mean, granted i havent seen every record 10 times over or anything, nor do i hide it. i really cant keep anything in. its a curse and a blessing.

does anyone else have a horrible poker face when it comes to records? i mean, granted i havent seen every record 10 times over or anything, nor do i hide it. i really cant keep anything in. its a curse and a blessing.

We had a thread about this recently, didn't we? About our reactions when we run across That Record in the field, and do we keep our cool or not?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    oh really? i havent been paying much attention around here. but id fall in the latter category. usually on all accounts.

In the Lizzies Hangout?

I don't know, I haven't seen the flick in a scary long time so I don't remember the details. But I do remember them listening to hard rock on a format where hard rock doesn't exist...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

In the Lizzies Hangout?

I don't know, I haven't seen the flick in a scary long time so I don't remember the details. But I do remember them listening to hard rock on a format where hard rock doesn't exist...

@...:58secs

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

That was the most realistic scene in the film! Think of the jaded record dudes who post here that ride for Ed Banger.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The book and movie worked well in their own rights. Considering how the movie could've been fucked up, it wasn't. Casting was perfect. Todd Louisos in EVERY hipster LP joint.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You know the scene is straight lifted from a famous urban legend?

The story goes there is an ad in the paper for a 62 Corvette 20,000 mi (or a 56 Thunderbird 18,000 mi) $100.00. Guy who is first there buys it, asks why so cheap. Lady tells story about her husband running off with another woman and asking her to sell it and send him the money. Stories been around for decades, maybe centuries.

Am I the only one who is not looking to rip people off when buying records?

no.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Delicate situation. You are checking a collection from a 80 years old widow and you find Stark Reality. How much would you pay for it? How much is honest?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

Delicate situation. You are checking a collection from a 80 years old widow and you find Stark Reality. How much would you pay for it? How much is honest?

I try and pay fairly (and am proud of it) but I have to make a living as well.
    There's a bunch of factors that go into coming up with a price for a collection including - how much does the person selling the records need the money? how badly do they need to get rid of the collection? do they know the value of the records? how much are you going to be able to recoup and how quickly? how much money do you have on hand and how's your month going? how much effort have you put into finding the collection? etc etc.
    All these calculations are done on the fly and in a matter of minutes some times. All that said if there's heat in there and they need the cash I will pay handsomely.

It's really short term reimbursement plus long term profitability.

If you're buying bulk you should consider how quickly you can make your money back. For instance, are there a handful of records in that collection that will make you the money back quickly? Then you have to consider how quickly you will make your profit. Some people think paying a buck a record is criminal, but you have to consider how long it will take to turn that collection over. If it's 5000 pieces, you need to be able to make your money back - plus some - on just a handful of valuable items while the rest will take a half a year or more to work off.