a stupid computer question....

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Hello all,Just got an external hard drive that I'm pretty stoked about. However, having a bit of a problem figuring out how to get my itunes and music all on there. I have an 80 gig ipod and would like ot be able to have all my music on this external drive. The problem I'm having is that itunes willonly open and work on my C drive. Thus, making it impossible for me to store and listen to my tunes. What am I doing wrong here? Plaese help!!!A

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Edit -> preferences -> advanced tab -> general tab -> click on the "change" button located next to the box labeled "iTunes music folder location" -> click on the folder you want to keep your music in (this can be a folder on your external drive) -> click "ok"

Copy all your music into the folder you pointed to and you should be ready to go.

• If you've music on your ipod that you don't have on your hardrive and you want it on there you'll need a seperate program to act as an interface / transfer facility, peep one called X Play, they have a free trial that you could easily use

• Been wanting to ask thi but didnt want to start a whole 'nother thread so I'm gonna piggybak it here. Hope someone can help.

I've been downloading tons of killer mixes from the boards and am eager to check them out, but rarely listen to music on my comp. Is there a way to burn these to an audio cd i can bump in the whip without importing these into my itunes? I have created "burn folders" on my desktop, but they seem to only burn mp3/data cds. I'm on a mac.

thanks to anyone who can help.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Been wanting to ask thi but didnt want to start a whole 'nother thread so I'm gonna piggybak it here. Hope someone can help.

I've been downloading tons of killer mixes from the boards and am eager to check them out, but rarely listen to music on my comp. Is there a way to burn these to an audio cd i can bump in the whip without importing these into my itunes? I have created "burn folders" on my desktop, but they seem to only burn mp3/data cds. I'm on a mac.

If your car is capable of playing mp3s you can burn a bunch of the mixes to a data cd, and listen to them in your car.

If you got a regular CD player, then you have to burn individual audio cds. Which you'll usually only get to fit 1 or 2 mixes at a time.

- spidey

• Been wanting to ask thi but didnt want to start a whole 'nother thread so I'm gonna piggybak it here. Hope someone can help.

If your car is capable of playing mp3s you can burn a bunch of the mixes to a data cd, and listen to them in your car.

If you got a regular CD player, then you have to burn individual audio cds. Which you'll usually only get to fit 1 or 2 mixes at a time.

- spidey

Thanks, I got that. My car doesn't play mp3 cds, so I'm trying to figure out how to burn audio cds without importing into Itunes.

On a side note, is there any way to track these out when burning, even if its not on time with the tracks? I cant stand those mixes that are one long track.

I WANT PLAYCRATER TOO IN MY LIFE!!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Personally I use Nero for burning and tracking. Don't use a mac though to give ya a better reccomendation.

sorry man,

- spidey

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    toast?

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    if you still have a tape deck in your car, you can get an adaptor that you put into your deck (looks like a tape) and connect your mp3 player to it so you don't have to burn all the files onto cds. My pops has one, not sure the name of the product but you can get them at some of those no name computer shops (and if you really need one you can pm me and I can try to find an extra one). peace

• if you still have a tape deck in your car, you can get an adaptor that you put into your deck (looks like a tape) and connect your mp3 player to it so you don't have to burn all the files onto cds. My pops has one, not sure the name of the product but you can get them at some of those no name computer shops (and if you really need one you can pm me and I can try to find an extra one). peace

Thanks, I actually have one of those stuck in my tape deck from a friends satelite radio set up. Problem is, it sounds like shit. tape hiss and all.

Let me reiterate, does anyone know how to burn audio cds on a mac without importing the tracks into itunes?

• PS, though the tape deck adapter is great for listening to wax on the way home from stores.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Let me reiterate, does anyone know how to burn audio cds on a mac without importing the tracks into itunes?

Sorry I don't have a real answer... but why not burn them in iTunes, then delete them?

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts

I don't have a Mac so I don't know any programs, so I can't offer advice in specifics. However, to burn the CDs you need CD burning software of some sort. I'm on PC and I use Nero; I'm sure there has to be some equivalent for a Mac. iTunes has absolutely no bearing on the ability to burn a CD, that's purely a matter of having the proper software.

And as far as your question about cutting mixes up into different tracks so you don't have just one long track... The easiest thing is use some audio editing software to create individual tracks. You open the mp3 file of the mix in the editing program and then you go along and find the spots where you want the track breaks to be. Cut the audio up into the individual tracks, saving each one separately, and then when you burn the CD you burn the tracks sequentially and make sure there's no pause between the tracks. It's not exactly the easiest stuff in the world if you've never used audio editing software before but once you work with it a bit it's not exactly rocket science to break files into smaller chunks either.

I'm sure there's also CD burning software which would allow you to mark track breaks within one big long file. I know Nero has some kind of editing software built in but I prefer using a dedicated editing software because it offers more options and is just kind of easier to use for me.