Bell Records

2»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I'm a fan, as well. I have all four of their Bell LP's (I'm not counting their best-of) plus quite a few of the singles, including some non-album things.

The first LP - The Letter/Neon Rainbow - is by far the best, although Dimensions is interesting because (a) it contains my fave Box Tops' song, "Soul Deep" and (b) this is their "progressive" LP, where they decided to Go Psychedelic, experimenting with white blues and abstract lyrics. It doesn't always work, either, but it's still worth hearing.
    I don't have the first one, since I mainly grab their 45s & haven't found a cheap, clean copy yet. I have Dimensions which I love, I also have the Best Of, Cry Like A Baby & Non-Stop. I agree that Soul Deep is prob my favorite song by them. I must have over a dozen of their 45s, one of my fave blue-eyed soul type bands.

• That Al Wilson LP is pretty cool from memory, I also like his "Willoughby Brook" 45.

As I've said on the Strut before, I always thought Al wahit or miss, but he's pretty good when he hits. Other cool Al Wilson moments on Carousel/Rocky Road (both Bell labels): "Born On The Bayou" and the single of "I Hear You Knocking" b/w "Sugar Cane Girl."

I picked up J&B Purify's 2nd LP last weekend & can say it is a real solid listen.

The one that DOESN'T have "I'm Your Puppet?" That's the one I have, too.

Also a good southern soul LP on Bell is Solomon Burke's "Proud Mary"

Oscar Toney, Jr. was another good soul act on Bell. He was best known for his version of "For Your Precious Love," but a single to seek out is "You Can Lead Your Woman To The Altar" b/w "Ordinary Guy."

A great, wailing Oscar Toney Jr record...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I like this one on the label;

• Just listening to this this morning:

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

I've never considered myself a ballad fan but "I'll be sweeter" is

Joe Bataan's cover ain't too shabby either.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

So how is this one? A lot of diehard Wailers fans don't like this LP (their last before breaking up), but I've always wanted to hear it...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I'm a fan, as well. I have all four of their Bell LP's (I'm not counting their best-of) plus quite a few of the singles, including some non-album things.

The first LP - The Letter/Neon Rainbow - is by far the best, although Dimensions is interesting because (a) it contains my fave Box Tops' song, "Soul Deep" and (b) this is their "progressive" LP, where they decided to Go Psychedelic, experimenting with white blues and abstract lyrics. It doesn't always work, either, but it's still worth hearing.
    I don't have the first one, since I mainly grab their 45s & haven't found a cheap, clean copy yet. I have Dimensions which I love, I also have the Best Of, Cry Like A Baby & Non-Stop. I agree that Soul Deep is prob my favorite song by them. I must have over a dozen of their 45s, one of my fave blue-eyed soul type bands.

I even have a later single they did for Hi - Alex Chilton was gone by then, and the songs themselves are .

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

So how is this one? A lot of diehard Wailers fans don't like this LP (their last before breaking up), but I've always wanted to hear it...

I can see why they don't like it, its different from their other output. I would say its a solid three tracker, I like the title cut a lot, and in other parts they sound a little like Quicksilver Messenger Service.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I knew I was going to come up with a record on Bell while I was digging this weekend.

I knew I was going to come up with a record on Bell while I was digging this weekend.
    Probably my fave 45 by those guys.

I like The Wailers a lot usually. I have their "You Can't Fly"/"Thinking Out Loud" 45 on Bell & it is great. Are those songs off this album?