SUMMER ANTHEMS (2008 edition)

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

Did jungle ever reach Texas?

Meat Beat's Paradise Now did in its day...but beyond that, not really.

Houston had one of the biggest scenes stateside for the South, next to Florida. There were a few crews in the mid-90s, Purrin' Lion being the most recognized. Mostly DJs and a couple producers, they promoted the local scenes and brought in overseas / out-of-state talent. For the most part, dudes came from a hip-hop background, so that was usually a part of their program, among other influences. There were a couple of crews in Austin & Dallas, but Houston had it on lock. There was a magazine dedicated to d&b they produced as well called Tha Pride I think it was the first, and one of the only publications for the US. but anyway...

back to the summer jams.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Has My Dougie reached any of y'all outside of Texas yet?

It's a winter->spring anthem here, but I could see it as a summer anthem elsewhere...

I could go on forever with these...

Harv, that song has been getting played out here like crazy and up until yesterday, both my girl and I thought it was saying my duckets
    what the heck does my dougie mean?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

The music on this (maybe due to poor recording quality?) sounds like jungle from '93-'94...

That's quite a stretch.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Houston had one of the biggest scenes stateside for the South, next to Florida. There were a few crews in the mid-90s, Purrin' Lion being the most recognized. Mostly DJs and a couple producers, they promoted the local scenes and brought in overseas / out-of-state talent. For the most part, dudes came from a hip-hop background, so that was usually a part of their program, among other influences. There were a couple of crews in Austin & Dallas, but Houston had it on lock. There was a magazine dedicated to d&b they produced as well called Tha Pride I think it was the first, and one of the only publications for the US. but anyway...

back to the summer jams.

Shit is relative. Yes, Vishnu is an old friend of mine...and I know he did much to promote jungle and d-n-b in Houston. But, how are you going to mention stateside jungle/d-n-b and act like San Francisco didn't make Houston look like a small family get-together when it came to that shit. Los Angeles too...

Plus, I highly doubt that any jungle/d-n-b scene in Houston could ever hold a candle to the albeit more generalized club scene in Houston from back in the day when they used to serve up free jars of ecstacy at the bar.

Maybe you don't know it, but compared to other cities and even compared to itself at other times, that Houston jungle-d-n-b scene was marginal at best.

what the heck does my dougie mean?

swag-style-steez.

Shit is relative. Yes, Vishnu is an old friend of mine...and I know he did much to promote jungle and d-n-b in Houston. But, how are you going to mention stateside jungle/d-n-b and act like San Francisco didn't make Houston look like a small family get-together when it came to that shit. Los Angeles too...

Plus, I highly doubt that any jungle/d-n-b scene in Houston could ever hold a candle to the albeit more generalized club scene in Houston from back in the day when they used to serve up free jars of ecstacy at the bar.

Maybe you don't know it, but compared to other cities and even compared to itself at other times, that Houston jungle-d-n-b scene was marginal at best.

Read:
    Houston had one of the biggest scenes stateside for the South[/b], next to Florida.
    dude asked about texas so i answered that question in regards to texas. get off your stack of URB magazines with your clown pants, dude. nobody really cares about this here.

Read:
    Houston had one of the biggest scenes stateside for the South[/b], next to Florida.

Oops, I missed that.

get off your stack of URB magazines with your clown pants, dude.

Umm, need I introduce you to a mirror?

Read:

Oops, I missed that.

get off your stack of URB magazines with your clown pants, dude.

Umm, need I introduce you to a mirror?

my pants got tighter since you last saw me

carry on with the summer jams!

LLoyd "Girls All Around The World" Feat. Lil' Wayne

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i dont think the summer jAM of 08 has been releaSED TO THE WORLD YET.

+ I thought the idea of the nationally approved summer jam died w. the Ipod.

Fabo (from D4L) "Pork N' Beans"

Dude, stop.

Dude, stop.

You got a counter-point, go ahead and make it.

Otherwise, I've never bought (as others have) the idea that you know a damned thing beyond what you are able to explain in detail.

Lollipop will last about another month until the next 12" gets dropped from The Carter III to match with it's pushed back release date and THAT will be the next summer jam.

Don't touch me will only get as far as the soulstrut crowd and it's extended family of ex-backpackers.

Love in the club is on the way out as we speak. I have yet to even play it. I just won't.

Dude, stop.

You got a counter-point, go ahead and make it.

Otherwise, I've never bought (as others have) the idea that you know a damned thing beyond what you are able to explain in detail.

Br*nt pretty much covered it. In other words, again, you are just projecting your own ideas on to a giant region that aren't all that familiar with.

How heavy is that carpet again?

what else do you predict IN THE YEAR TWOOOO-THOUSAAAAaaaAAAND?
    go listen to that pork n' beans, dun.

• "I Luv Your Girl" is going big here right R&B-wise right now...

This might be the hyphy heater for the summer:

e-40 feat. b-legit laroo - showin out.mp3 - 4.84MB

I love B-LEGIT

what else do you predict IN THE YEAR TWOOOO-THOUSAAAAaaaAAAND?
    go listen to that pork n' beans, dun.

I tried, it loads all the way, but no audio. I'll dl (no 4) the whole cut later.

Have you heard 9th Ward's "add me up"?

no, the carpet baggeur express hasn't arrived to my parts of bushwick, yet.

something for the ladies:

Janet Jackson "Rock With U" (I think this may / should be the next sangle?)

http://www.divshare.com/download/4286494-2ba

robot voice is a little unsettling, but enchanting at the same time. still, very much has a summer time feeling.

no, the carpet baggeur express hasn't arrived to my parts in bushwick, yet.

HA! Don't wait for the express, that's so last millenium son. The real measure of whats hot on the streets is how many videos you can find of it on Youtube.

no, the carpet baggeur express hasn't arrived to my parts in bushwick, yet.

HA! Don't wait for the express, that's so last millenium son. The real measure of whats hot on the streets is how many videos you can find of it on Youtube.

Flam!

no, the carpet baggeur express hasn't arrived to my parts of bushwick, yet.

something for the ladies:

Janet Jackson "Rock With U" (I think this may / should be the next sangle?)

http://www.divshare.com/download/4286494-2ba

robot voice is a little unsettling, but enchanting at the same time. still, very much has a summer time feeling.

Yeah, I rocked it at the G&S last wednesday, but it was happy hour so folks are just listening, not really trying to get down so much.

he go an old man face with a little kid body

IT'S A NITTI BEAT!

he looks like an old man with a little kid body

or a tiny DMC.

IT'S A NITTI BEAT!

Repetition is the key to mainstream success. Looking for a 2008 "Hood N*gga"?

Repetition is the key to mainstream success. Looking for a 2008 "Hood N*gga"?

it's gotta be club compliant, but soft enough that a HS principal can wiggle to it at the pep rally next friday. see: "it's goin down" with handle grip reving motions as dance moves that ANYONE can enjoy.

I love it when certified dorks who act like they hate me quote me at every turn.

I also love B-Legit.

certified dorks

Dude, stop.

certified dorks

Dude, stop.

Yes, that is a picture of someone you have e-stalked for what...12 years now?

I'm just amazed that you were able to remove the photo from your desk frame, scan it, and get it posted so fast.

For real, you keep a photo of me in your photobucket account?

Rock, you've got nothing in the stalker department next to this pot-bellied kook from "the islands".

For real, you keep a photo of me in your photobucket account?

Rock, you've got nothing in the stalker department next to this pot-bellied kook from "the islands".

Simple soulstrut boolean search, homecut. But you're right, that is a picture of a dude deeply connected to the streets.