opus to water damage

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
my dear friend abby just got hit hard...her records, tapestry of her existence, just got spilt on by a broken basement pipe. she wrote up some moving oratory that she wanted to share with the record people.
A SAD LOSS FOR ME BUT ALSO FOR THE RECORDS THAT RAISED US ALL...Friends and family I ask you to read this because I know all of you understand the collective sense of loss when vinyl is lost or damaged and this is my brief eulogy herein because this week, after years of collecting, years of DJ-ing, years of obsession and love and endless digging in spots that don't even exist any longer, and years of living in New York but still keeping a huge portion of my vinyl collection in Mom dukes' basement in Philly rather than in New York where there's not enough room and because it's free and safe and dry and more spacious and accessible the unspeakable occurred when a low-lying pipe developed a crack and leaked 2 inches of water, damaging everything that was touching the floor level.I got down there, I screamed and cried and felt my heart break in my chest all while simultaneously hauling ass to move the shit upstairs and outside so that at least the vinyl, if not some sleeves as well could be saved from death... there was no time to waste. And with the help of others we did save all the vinyl miraculously, wiping away the moisture gently in the direction of the grooves with soft old tee shirts, and with the help of my insurance company many sleeves, though forever changed by exposure to water went that night to get dried at a special facility of the sort I never knew existed where a wall of industrial dehumidifiers and drying machines safely pull the moisture out as they sit in an enclosed chamber. And the records on the upper shelves were spared and so amidst this craziness I feel oddly fortunate but the sight of the damaged sleeves still hurts to look at and I see it as a collective loss for us all. It may sound corny but I have spent so many years sharing these records with so many people whether as a DJ before the mp3 era or in my living room with friends and with people I love, cooking or smoking weed with a boyfriend on a Sunday listening to the same album over and over with fresh awe each time or even as a little girl when I made mix tapes for anyone who asked me for one, so to see these wet sleeves was a huge reminder of the passage of time, of the fading and changing nature of finding records, of making music, stores long since gone in neighborhoods changed, Philly crackheads I used to buy whole collections from after school who knows what became of them, of hours upon hours of time spent messing with records in that same basement as a kid, and of how at least for me the fun in records is about sharing which is ultimately the oldest way to keep something alive. After all you can't just walk into a store and buy this shit, it takes years and a lot of love and being the weirdo who gives a shit so you have to make it matter beyond itself otherwise you are just a baseball card collector. So I feel lucky to still be able to share and I hope I can keep doing that for a long time.And a word on that value tip, I truly hate to give credit to the Babylon system but this insurance situation is absolutely necessary and they are handling everything and have been so helpful with every step of this debacle and so to all of you who have vinyl get it insured because I never thought this could happen and I was always careful but it clearly can happen indeed. I want to thank everyone who is helping with this especially my dear friend Brendan Bringem who has gone through this himself in his own basement and gave me so much valuable info and comfort and to Liz Solms and my mom who had never cleaned vinyl before and were so solid through the entire night.I have enclosed some images that are meant not only to be a slightly somber yet hopeful reminder for us all of the beauty and special-ness of vinyl but also to be shared so especially those of you with sites and means to blog etc. So much history disappears every day so share what you can however you can, daily but live in the present and contribute your own new ideas and artwork and music as you do so.And please share this and the pics because again this is about the collective experience that magically occurs by proxy of the realness that is vinyl.LOVEAbby Klein

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Wow, that is heartbreaking.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Man that is painful....I can feel for her. I suffered a record loss a couple of months ago. 500 mint condition records completely gone and to top it off they were sold off by a family member of mine for practically nothing. So double the amount of hair loss on that one...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i was storing records at my fathers house. i thought i removed all of it before he sold the house, but i forgot about a crate of hip hop i brought back there after i spun at a party.

the junk removal people came and must of tossed it. sad thing is i can't even list what was in the box. i know there was a grip of hard to find 12"s in there.

i only remember what was in there when i go to locate a 12" and can't. that is when i add it to my lost list...

i feel your friends' pain.

hurt

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the terry callier pic makes me think of the perils of cigarette smoke. the cancer seems to be enveloping her whole body

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    A similar thing happened to my dad in the mid 70's after years of collecting. When he told me some of the pieces he lost I can't help but feel his pain. I feel Abby's pain too. A worst nightmare type situation

• beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts

wow.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    my dear friend abby just got hit hard...her records, tapestry of her existence, just got spilt on by a broken basement pipe. she wrote up some moving oratory that she wanted to share with the record people.

ask her if she needs SS to do a sleeve drive. We're always hooking each other up with empty sleeves in the Real Headz forum. Who's down? I dunno what I can contribute but I'm down to look.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Sad...

Do not keep records on the basement floor. Always put things at least a foot or two off the floor. Most basements will flood at some point.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I feel for her, that's got to be heartbreaking. Related to this, anyone have details of how insurance companies deal with paying out on something like vinyl which doesn't have a set market value?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

ask her if she needs SS to do a sleeve drive. We're always hooking each other up with empty sleeves in the Real Headz forum. Who's down? I dunno what I can contribute but I'm down to look.

yeah, I'm down too... maybe get a list of what covers she needs man, post 'em up with an address...

peace.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Related to this, anyone have details of how insurance companies deal with paying out on something like vinyl which doesn't have a set market value?

they hire nerds and run the collection through...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Related to this, anyone have details of how insurance companies deal with paying out on something like vinyl which doesn't have a set market value?

they hire nerds and run the collection through...

Strutter real world moves revealed?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i met abby once. really cool individual. sucks to hear that happened to her.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Good chance to rebuild tacky funk-free...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Abby contacted me to help with an appraisal. I'll let you guys know what comes of it. Sad shit.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Damn, my condolences.

She might want to also dry out the sleeves that didn't actually get hit by water. Just being down there when this happened they could have absorbed enough moisture to have problems with mold in the future if left alone.

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts

yeah, I'm down too... maybe get a list of what covers she needs man, post 'em up with an address...

peace.

ditto. i have several sleeves ready to reunite with their vinyl mates...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bummerific!

Don't store your records. Keep them handy and listen to them. Storage is bad news.

Do not store on concrete floors or against concrete walls. Concrete is porous and absorbs water. Slowly of the years your records will get water damaged sitting in a dry basement, garage, or any where else with a concrete floor.

I just bought what would have been a more valuable Beatles collection except the bottom 2" of all the sleeves had foxing (that yellow stain paper gets) from sitting, in a box, on the garage floor.

I was collecting Folkways records when I opened my first shop. The rest of my lifes collection was for sale, but the Folkways were in the back on the floor when it flooded. I was there when it happened and waded in real quick and pulled them out and threw away the sleeves and dried out the covers. As soon as everything was back together I sold them. No sense keeping them if they just sat on the floor in the back.

I hope I can help with covers.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    OK the one AK is now a member, so I'm reviving this fucker.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21OK the one AK is now a member, so I'm reviving this fucker.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Thanks Daze! That is Tripdubs post work.....oh man I was so heartbroken when I saw those records, I felt it was a loss for everyone in the world, you are so sweet to offer to check out my sleeve list. It is not a short read, will try to post later on.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    So in rained like a mofo here in New Jersey last night. Put my daughter on the bus, watched a little sports center (yea Flyers...nice come back), showered and headed out to get some milk. I get back and plan on listening to some records that I was considering playing tonight at the asbury lanes (45 sessions...get there!) and I notice that my floor is wet. My effing sump pump shit the bed. In my downstairs bathroom and laundry room there was about two inches of water. Luckily my records survived but my heart sank when I realized that they could be victims. So I feel your pain. Unforunately my carpet didn't fair better. Wet vacking like mofo right now. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/530.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So in rained like a mofo here in New Jersey last night. Put my daughter on the bus, watched a little sports center (yea Flyers...nice come back), showered and headed out to get some milk. I get back and plan on listening to some records that I was considering playing tonight at the asbury lanes (45 sessions...get there!) and I notice that my floor is wet. My effing sump pump shit the bed. In my downstairs bathroom and laundry room there was about two inches of water. Luckily my records survived but my heart sank when I realized that they could be victims. So I feel your pain. Unforunately my carpet didn't fair better. Wet vacking like mofo right now.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/530.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21You need to post a swatch here on the board, soliciting free carpet replacement.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So in rained like a mofo here in New Jersey last night. Put my daughter on the bus, watched a little sports center (yea Flyers...nice come back), showered and headed out to get some milk. I get back and plan on listening to some records that I was considering playing tonight at the asbury lanes (45 sessions...get there!) and I notice that my floor is wet. My effing sump pump shit the bed. In my downstairs bathroom and laundry room there was about two inches of water. Luckily my records survived but my heart sank when I realized that they could be victims. So I feel your pain. Unforunately my carpet didn't fair better. Wet vacking like mofo right now.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/530.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21You need to post a swatch here on the board, soliciting free carpet replacement.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 good one !