Stuck in the Elevator

zlatorogzlatorog 66 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Not sure if this has been posted. While reading this New Yorker article about elevators, I was linked to this condensed video of dude stuck in a NYC elevator for 43 hours:

Interesting article that includes some facts about the psychology of elevator design. I never realized that "door close" buttons don't actually do anything.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Amazing. I don't think I ever want to be in an elevator without a cell phone now.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    what a bummer...i thought this was gonna be about a new R Kelly video release...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Interesting article that includes some facts about the psychology of elevator design. I never realized that "door close" buttons don't actually do anything.

They work in a fire situation, with a key. Used one today. Or when the elevator is in service mode.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The weirdest elevator situation I found myself in was when a bunch of kids piled into an elevator. Must have exceeded the weight requirements by 1000 pounds, or something crazy. They all started to jump & the elevator got stuck. Anyhow, something happened that when the repair guy was trying to get the kids out that he lost control of the elevator cab, sending it speeding down the shaft. Made a rough landing 5 floors down. Everyone in the elevator was freaked out. One girl shit her pants. They were all crying. No one was hurt, thank god.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    anyone ever try this?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    This reminds me of that movie " The Elevator" or sometin' like that where the elevator kills everybody one after the other...

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    "Loading up an empty elevator car with discarded Christmas trees, pressing the button for the top floor, then throwing in a match, so that by the time the car reaches the top it is ablaze with heat so intense that the alloy (called ???babbitt???) connecting the cables to the car melts, and the car, a fireball now, plunges into the pit: this practice, apparently popular in New York City housing projects, is inadvisable."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    amazing video.

thanks for posting.