When the hell...

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
is T-mobile gonna roll out 3G in the US???I'm fuckin sick of waiting, it was supposed to be January of LAST YEAR!for fucks sake I was using mobile video phones in the UK 3 years ago seeing people in London while talking to them from Glasgow. You'd think the US would be on top of some shit like that...but noooooooo.rant over.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What's 3G? Will it allow me to talk overseas?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Dude. Canada barely has the iPhone.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cosmo: 3G is a faster network for data. It shouldn't, far as I know, make a difference in making calls overseas. It will make download content faster however.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    What's 3G? Will it allow me to talk overseas?

you can talk overseas now for a fee, BIG fee.

3G is faster data transfer, lets you use phones with 2 cameras, one in front for talking, one in back for picture taking, and you can video call. you can see the person you're talking to if they have a similar phone and it's all live video.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Okay word, I'm down for whatever. I got a busted ass blackberry that can't download for shit. Plus I can't talk overseas. Shit is weak. I'm on T-Mobile. They should be called T-Shitstorm.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    The EDGE network is the closest thing the US has to 3G right now, it's even included in the 3G specs. A lot of the issues arise over expensive carrier upgrades and license fees. The carriers are generally already in huge amounts of debt for the last set of upgrades they made, so sometimes milking those technologies for as long as they can just makes financial sense. The EDGE upgrades were relatively inexpensive and easy.

In a lot of countries the communications infrastructures are socialized, this is obviously not the case here and our communications infrastructure is hurting because of it. Some parts of Morocco, Tanzania, and Nigeria have 3G, the US does not.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    for fucks sake I was using mobile video phones in the UK 3 years ago seeing people in London while talking to them from Glasgow.

people here in the US think our phones and servies are hi-tech...ha!

i had a pay-as-you-go 3G/phone in the UK [3 years ago too]...you really think that would fly in the US? NOPE! i just thought it was funny how much the rest of the world utilizes that whole pay-as-you-go system, and here at home the only thing people relate it to is drug dealers. not to mention the only phones available on those types of services are $30 pieces of junk.

i remember i had a great conversation with a verizon employee when i came back home from england for a couple of weeks and i was trying to explain to him that i needed a SIM card capable, dual band phone that i could switch cards when traveling from one side of the atlantic to the other but keep the same phone. all i got is "i don't get what you're talking about. whut's a SIM card?"...then the classic "we have this world-wide phone for $900 [which was a giant brick]. you could probably use that" a la "you could just buy a whole bunch of Mums" Meet the Parrents Style.