Etta James

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Rep some Etta James songs you dig. I see her stuff while digging and usually pick it up. Stuff like tell mama is pure Is she underated, underappreciated or is it me?

Comments

• down in the basement on cadet

• 'Tell Mama'

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Rep some Etta James songs you dig. I see her stuff while digging and usually pick it up. Stuff like tell mama is pure Is she underated, underappreciated or is it me?

I wouldn't say so.... they are even doing a movie with Beyonce

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    She's known but deosnt have that Household Name status. Kids know who Tina Turner is. Kids know Aretha. The Beyonce project should get her to that level, where she gets invited to VH1/MTV concerts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• b/w I love those Hoss Allen intros. He always sounds like he's half in the bag..

• djrdjr 511 Posts

"Mellow Fellows" 45 on Argo

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

5 minutes well spent!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The only thing most people know about Etta James is "At Last" and even then, they probably know the song and not the artist. Not sure if "Cadillac Records" is going to radically change her status amongst those who didn't already know her, Beyonce or not.

BTW, I heard Mary J. Blige wants to make a Nina Simone movie? Great concept, but if she's casting herself...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What's the deal on Beyonce movie. I thought it was going to be the Chess Records story, which would mean that Etta would be a minor role.

Recent show

I think she still got it. No?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I wouldn't say so.... they are even doing a movie with Beyonce
    But the movie is about Chess Records in general, not Etta in particular.

• is this what she looks like lately?

Yes, Etta has lost an amazing amount of weight in recent years.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Rocks the House is firmly seated in my pantheon of all time favorite live albums.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    "Tell Mama" was the first Etta James song I heard and it's still my favorite. She also has this 45 cut on Cadet called "Fire" which is freakin awesome as well.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Does she have a definitive box set of her stuff?

And if they do make one to compliment the movie it will most likely be for a broad audience vs. some headz shit w/ outttakes.

This is the only James I own.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Yes, Etta has lost an amazing amount of weight in recent years.

From 2003 - After struggling with a lifelong weight problem, James made what she terms a "lifesaving decision" and underwent gastric bypass surgery, called the Fobi Pouch, dropped 200 pounds, and feels better than she has in years.

She's definitely thinner but I think its hurt her voice a bit as far as depth goes (that could be age as well). My wife and I LOVE Etta and have many favorite tracks including "You Give Me What I Want" "Tell Mama" and "Seven Day Fool."

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    man etta is prolly like my #1 most favorite singer ever. id rather go blind definately ranks hi up there. i also like her funk cuts like all the way down and that whole lp that that song is on. but my alltime favorite of favorites is the duets she does with harvey fuqua. that one 45 alone, a double sider, is like pure gold to me.

• Tell Mama, Fire...I recently reheard "I'd Rather Go Blind" on Chess and I like what it does for me. I feel like there's another song about drinking and sadness and funny-ness but I could be mistaken. It was a long time ago at a bar and I could've sworn it was some Etta James song on a 45. I forgot by now but whatever it did was right on.

And if they do make one to compliment the movie it will most likely be for a broad audience vs. some headz shit w/ outttakes.

If that's all you own, then you need the broad audience box, or at least to start picking those records up when you see them.

There are 2 records with Eddie Vinson and Shuggie Otis.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    i also like her funk cuts like all the way down and that whole lp that that song is on.

The LP is called Etta James and I agree it is killer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

If that's all you own, then you need the broad audience box, or at least to start picking those records up when you see them.

There are 2 records with Eddie Vinson and Shuggie Otis.

I was wondering if there was a box done already as opposed to waitin for the Beyonce Box. I've heard a couple of albums but never got around to coppin the classic on wax.

• i also like her funk cuts like all the way down and that whole lp that that song is on.

Co-sign. Absolute quality.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    i also like her funk cuts like all the way down and that whole lp that that song is on.

Co-sign. Absolute quality.

and "come a little closer" is as well

And don't forget her 1950's sides on Modern (later reissued on Kent/Crown/Custom/United) like "Dance With Me Henry," "Hey Henry," "I Hope You're Satisfied," "Tough Lover" (killer Little Richard imitation!) and "Strange Things" (give it up for the gospel choir).

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    isnt it roll with me henry? i have a modern 45 called that i think. and yes i love the modern stuff. i mean modern the label. also i once again want to say how awesome the chess harvey fuqua duos are.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "Tough Lover" (killer Little Richard imitation!)

I was pleased as punch to dig up a clean copy of this at the flea a month or tow ago...top shelf!

isnt it roll with me henry? i have a modern 45 called that i think.

Modern Records actually retitled that a couple of times as "Dance With Me Henry" and "Wallflower," since "Roll..." was considered too raunchy back then. She actually sings "roll with me Henry" on the record.

• i use to have a 78 of hers on modern titled hold me, squeeze me that i liked alot