Bruno Drops N-Bomb on Affleck

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/03/28/sacha-baron-cohen-is-fking-with-ben-affleck/ or ?To me, the biggest surprise here is that Ben Affleck has apparently never watched the Ali G show.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

To me, the biggest surprise here is that Ben Affleck has apparently never watched the Ali G show.

Why is that surprising? I've never seen it either besides the many Borat clips on Youtube and the movie of course.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    after Borat, there was a lot of discussion of whether or not there was anyone left this guy could fuck with who wasn't already aware of him and what he does. Looks like the answer is: the state of Kansas and Ben Affleck.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    the ali g show use to come on OnDemand back in '02 so i was well aware of dude even before i moved out to the UK.

but i mean, people in Kansas/Midwest are slow on the times anyways so i can totally see a good majority of people getting caught up without knowing.

most people in any major metropolitan city generally would know about him/his characters due to the way information flows, like street promo's, ect...

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

people in Kansas/Midwest are slow on the times anyways so i can totally see a good majority of people getting caught up without knowing.

most people in any major metropolitan city generally would know about him/his characters due to the way information flows, like street promo's, ect...

I lived most of my life in Wichita, KS (the city mentioned in the article). No one there is any more ignorant than anywhere else I've seen..

Unless you're living in the backwoods of the South these days you've got an Internet connection and are generally just as connected to pop culture as the rest of the world.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I lived most of my life in Wichita, KS (the city mentioned in the article). No one there is any more ignorant than anywhere else I've seen..

Unless you're living in the backwoods of the South these days you've got an Internet connection and are generally just as connected to pop culture as the rest of the world.

LOL - up next, a Strutter from the deep South posts to call bullshit
    on you and claim that only people in northernmost Alaska are disconnected
    from pop culture anymore.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

but i mean, people in Kansas/Midwest are slow on the times anyways so i can totally see a good majority of people getting caught up without knowing.

Put that limey attitude on some beans and toast and shove it! People behind on the times because they don't know about Ali G? Give me a Frickin' break. Some people just don't care about that crap. Not to mention the fact that is was a UK show, only on cable in the US. Everyone doesn't have HBO and On Demand you know. Some people read books instead of watch cable and U Tube all the time.

Did you watch the video? You could cause a scene like that in pretty much any airport and people are goign to look at you. Plus, the article says they showed up at an EASTER PLAY in chains. Yea, I'm sure a chuch in your neighborhood would have been real receptive to that.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

The South was just an example. My point is unless you're in a really rural area the Internet keeps everyone pretty connected.

Wichita is a metropolitan city anyway which makes the midwest comment even more ignorant.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

The South was just an example. My point is unless you're in a really rural area the Internet keeps everyone pretty connected.

Wichita is a metropolitan city anyway which makes the midwest comment even more ignorant.

That's fine to the extent of being connected to music and video (which is what we're talking about in the Ali G context), but as for lifestyle and non-digital culture, the internet isn't exactly an accurate reflection of what's popular in the cosmopolitan world centers. And don't take this the wrong way, but Wichita isn't exactly Paris or New York.

Kansas was the first free state. John Brown used to attack other states in an effort to fight slavery. I would call that AHEAD of the times.

Kansas was the first free state. John Brown used to attack other states in an effort to fight slavery. I would call that AHEAD of the times.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're from Kansas.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're from Kansas.

hey, i'm just going off what i've seen. i think it more so has to do with the diversity of the metropolitan area too. kansas, does not have diversity. or any other old wooden ships by the same name.

maybe i've said it to the wrong people, but [in KC] when quoting something from the Borat movie, people need an explanation and it's usually followed up by "ohh i heard that was a funny movie, i haven't seen it yet" but then at home i'll be in giant [grocery store] and nonchalantly quote something and usually there will be chiming in from other parties as if to show you their connected.

hey, i'm just going off what i've seen. i think it more so has to do with the diversity of the metropolitan area too. kansas, does not have diversity. or any other old wooden ships by the same name.

maybe i've said it to the wrong people, but [in KC] when quoting something from the Borat movie, people need an explanation and it's usually followed up by "ohh i heard that was a funny movie, i haven't seen it yet" but then at home i'll be in giant [grocery store] and nonchalantly quote something and usually there will be chiming in from other parties as if to show you their connected.

Dude, you are judging people on whether or not they have seen the Borat movie. How stupid is that?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

English Ignorant or American Ig'nant?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

English Ignorant or American Ig'nant?

I'll have to confer with Busta.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i live in kansas, and yes, people here are retarded.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Please stop now. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Seriously. Wichita is the Paris of the greater Sedgwick County area.

I kid. I read it was voted the ninth most livable city or some such thing recently.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Being "connected" to the net doenst make one or ones community more "aware" IMO.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Seriously. Wichita is the Paris of the greater Sedgwick County area.

I kid. I read it was voted the ninth most livable city or some such thing recently.

The parallels really are eerie.

Eiffel Tower:

Giant metal Native American:

dude, when your only choices in food are Country Kitchen or Applebees...there's something wrong.

or when multiple white people tell you "Ohh, you don't wanna go over there"...there's something wrong

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

dude, when your only choices in food are Country Kitchen or Applebees...there's something wrong.

or when multiple white people tell you "Ohh, you don't wanna go over there"...there's something wrong

Where was this?

KC

KC

Isn't that in Missouri?

there's 2 sides...one's kansas, the other is missouri

it's all the same in the mid-west though

• i live in insert ANY location here[/b], and yes, people here are retarded.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    there's 2 sides...one's kansas, the other is missouri

it's all the same in the mid-west though

So you rolled into some podunk area of Kansas City, had a bad experience and assumed the entire midwest was exactly the same?

GTFOOHWTBS.

KC itself is a large, diverse city with, I assure you, plenty of places to eat. Not sure what crap hole you landed in but obviously you jumped to conclusions.

BTW.. KC got records.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

You mean, kind of how a lot of them do in DC?