German old school rap

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    You cannot compare Entroducing to early German Rap Records. Different Pair of Shoes.

I disagree. I bet if you play Josh, Hank Shocklee, Mr.Lawnge, Prince Paul or the Dust Brothers this instrumentals. They will tell you how impressive the work on these productions are.

sidenote: LSD even have a sample nicely flipped on their album which DJ Shadow used a few years later for "40 oz for breakfast" by Blackalicious. Hence, I agree with Hawkeye that you can (from a bboy perspective) compare them and that in many terms they were doing something that was - apart from the bomb squad - rather unmatched at that time. And LSD did a good job. But I can also understand that a record like "Endtroducing" is something different. The raps are another story of course.

• actually there is no scene just a hand full of collectors.
    the ammount of rare old school rap records is quite straightforward. there are a few really nice ones which i would drop some crazy loot for...

... so if you have got a spare copy of: Feinkost Paranoia "Dorn Im Dritten Auge" - Instrumentals 2LP let me know...

I might have a spare copy.

please PM me!!!

• ...the LSD video "competent" is from 89 or 90 not 91.

...that wack "rappers deutsch" -song came out in 1981 not in 1980...and it wasn't the first german rap song.
    first was frank zander in 1975! some of you will say that it isn't rap but to me it sounds straight like disco-rap-'79-style. it's on his lp "Wahnsinn".

in 1980 (one year before rappers deutsch) there was a weird 7inch with a german version of joe bataan's "rap-o-clap-o" called "wie w??r's mit schulfreiem montag".

and after 83 there were a lot of strange german records, most of them wack but there are exceptions. I like 2 of the 3 bionic force 12inches, the 12inches & the LP from "the alliance" (berlin) and that crazy track "hui buh" by dj chrizz.
    also check out cheeky's "electric boogie boots" (wack german lyrics but a dope '83-style drummachine)

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    OK, yeah for shure you cant compare "Endtroducing" with "Third Rail" stylewise.

Both have a total diffrent style, yes, but I was refering to the mass of samples used.

Stylewise you can compare it to a Bomb Squad sound.
    Even Pauls Boutique or De La are stylewise not as close as the Bomb Squad sound, the reference was only meant about the amount of samples used.

LSD is german Fast Rap.

...the LSD video "competent" is from 89 or 90 not 91.

Its from 89

first was frank zander in 1975! some of you will say that it isn't rap but to me it sounds straight like disco-rap-'79-style. it's on his lp "Wahnsinn".

I heard that some years ago, yes it sounds like a german rap, but I would say it depends on his un-ability of good singing. I bet he is a leftwinger and maybe he had some slam poetry inspirations, or he heard the Last Poets, or he heard some of the stuff Muhamad Ali did.

"in 1980 (one year before rappers deutsch) there was a weird 7inch with a german version of joe bataan's "rap-o-clap-o" called "wie w??r's mit schulfreiem montag".

Holla die Waldfee. Never heard of that. I was a great fan of Rap O Clap O back than, but I never heard of that version. Now I have to dig for,

the 12inches & the LP from "the alliance" (berlin)

Dont know where you from, but if you live in Berlin there is a Old School Jam on the 23rd where all those old Berlin Crews are playing. INB Jam.

also check out cheeky's "electric boogie boots" (wack german lyrics but a dope '83-style drummachine)

The scratches on this 45 are done by rubbing the whole tonearm over the whole record.

Funny trivia, LSD sampled some fx breaks from "electric boogie boots" for "Third Rail"

Ach scheisse, der Grandwizard, jetzt weiss ich es LOL !!!!

Frohe Ostern
    Hawkeye

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    actually there is no scene just a hand full of collectors.
    the ammount of rare old school rap records is quite straightforward. there are a few really nice ones which i would drop some crazy loot for...

... so if you have got a spare copy of: Feinkost Paranoia "Dorn Im Dritten Auge" - Instrumentals 2LP let me know...

Hey what is this, I'm curious... drop the knowledge.

• lol, frohe ostern.

I forgot to mention that there's an LP from the US (1989) which has a totally freaked out rap song with parts in german language on it.
    the rapper is ramones member dee dee ramone (dee dee king).
    the name of the song is "german kid"

what a joke! the refrain is: "...half german...half american..."

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Slightly off topic: The German-only Family Of Percussion LP with Archie Shepp has that one track where he raps in a way that's clearly influenced by contemporary rap music, not Last Poets...I think that the LP is from 1980.

• actually there is no scene just a hand full of collectors.

Hey what is this, I'm curious... drop the knowledge.

Feinkost Paranoia is a local (munich) german hip hop group. actually the lyrics on the album Dorn Im Dritten Auge are not that good but i like the instrumentals and the instrumental LP was promo only and it doesn't appear often...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I don't care about samples. Most of the German hip hop groups sucked.

Die Fantastischen Vier was the first group to produce good instrumentals. Good samples, good sound, proper fills and breaks. Forget about the lyrics though. Although... I still like one of them guys!

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    another early german rap (and pretty sure the 1st austrian rap song) is from Falco, "der kommissar" released in 82 but he wasnt affiliated with Hip Hop at all, he was an austrian pop star.
    i dont really like it but hes a hero to many older guys (also hiphop heads) here in Austria

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Falco was a legend for sure. He lived a more decadent life than most superstar rappers do nowadays. When I visited Vienna the last time natives told me crazy stories for days about him.
    Allegedly there must have been a time in which he consumed so much coke that medics warned him that every blow more could cause his death.
    His reaction to it was hiring a personal physician, who was always around him to reanimate him if needed. This happend several times.

"Der Kommissar" was even a top ten hit in the U.S.
    Here is the english version:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    this is getting silly. plaese stop! falco sucks/sucked ASS!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Yes Falco sucked at times but is a legend. I remember when he was interviewed by ed lover and doctor dre for Yo! Mtv raps and they asked him which rappers he liked. He answered: "The Good ones"

btw, Hawkeye, imperial nation jam is on the 29th, not 23rd.

• this is getting silly. plaese stop! falco sucks/sucked ASS!!!

and "fantastische vier was the only half way decent hip hop group"?

falco never claimed to be a rapper, rather some sort of pop poet. and his best moments are way out of the fanta 4's league. check out "ganz wien" (english version: vienna scene) for starters...

btw: someone at the broadcasting corp i work at mistook him for being a hiphop guy and had him read/perform the translated lyrics to "the message" over the original vocal version back in the early 80s:

he's not a rapper, he just talks a lot

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Yes Falco sucked at times but is a legend. I remember when he was interviewed by ed lover and doctor dre for Yo! Mtv raps and they asked him which rappers he liked. He answered: "The Good ones"

btw, Hawkeye, imperial nation jam is on the 29th, not 23rd.

I don't Frickin' care!!! He sucked big time... I'd rather sit on the shitter and enjoy a diarrhea joint than listening to a Falco interview.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    this is getting silly. plaese stop! falco sucks/sucked ASS!!!

and "fantastische vier was the only half way decent hip hop group"?

falco never claimed to be a rapper, rather some sort of pop poet. and his best moments are way out of the fanta 4's league. check out "ganz wien" (english version: vienna scene) for starters...

btw: someone at the broadcasting corp i work at mistook him for being a hiphop guy and had him read/perform the translated lyrics to "the message" over the original vocal version back in the early 80s:

he's not a rapper, he just talks a lot

you guys have twisted minds. seriously, some of you guys would be better off collecting monchichis!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

one more thing. i will NEVER listen to that clip. i'm not interested in anything falcoesque.

• another interesting fact is that in 1991 there was a "fake LSD LP":
    a rare album produced by a group named GDP = german dope production (outta augsburg )

haha, remember? LSD=legally spread dope

ok, they don't imitate LSD but it seem like they "copied" the name...
    and it would be even more interesting if their album was released before the third rail.

I found that GDP LP "piece of existence" recently (after searching for some years) but there's no info about it on the internet. the only thing I found out, that the group later went on to rap in german as "bassreflex".

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Ok, I agree with Grope, please let??s leave Falco, Frank Zander etc out of the Game... that??s not what we call Rap.
    "Schulfreier Montag" was by Cora und die Popspatzen, funny track, by the way, my daughter loves it.
    If we talk about German Rap, we mean Advanced Chemistry, Rude poets, Rock Da most and, of course, Die Fantastischen Vier. Please stay on this Level.
    now continue discussion, please.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Ok, I agree with Grope, please let??s leave Falco, Frank Zander etc out of the Game... that??s not what we call Rap.
    "Schulfreier Montag" was by Cora und die Popspatzen, funny track, by the way, my daughter loves it.
    If we talk about German Rap, we mean Advanced Chemistry, Rude poets, Rock Da most and, of course, Die Fantastischen Vier. Please stay on this Level.
    now continue discussion, please.

let's not continue...

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    dudes..
    german rap? seriously? i can barly hang with some stieber twins & adv chemistry beats, but the rest?
    common.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    dudes..
    german rap? seriously? i can barly hang with some stieber twins & adv chemistry beats, but the rest?
    common.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    dudes..
    common.

add

and you are probably right....

anyways, some real in here. nice

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

add

no. no, thanks!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    dudes..
    common.

add

anyways, some real in here. nice

huge

I completly lost hope an interest in german rap until I heard these guys.

awesome!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    joseph goebbels? behindert? WTF???

can we stop this thread ALREADY?

a quality punchline, no more no less.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

a quality punchline, no more no less.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i say poptards. fuck punchlines!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Huss & Hodn are great, if you like him I bet you'll like Morlockk Dilemma too.

He is one of the dopes MCs right now in Germany. Flow is killer, his lyrics are dripping of cynical and ironic storys and metaphors.

He is doing most of his beats on his own.

I call it misanthrope music because this stuff is like a knife in the back of society !!!

Morlockk Dilemma - Messias

I found that GDP LP "piece of existence"

Yo Arok, I need some MP3s of this. Is it as dope as LSD ???

Peace
    Hawkeye