Tibet

2»

Comments

• Quote:

Quote:

. Summer 2007 was the first in the past 5 years that I did not spend in Tibet.

hows the diggin overthere? any spots?

ZERO. On my first trip I actually brought an LP with me for reference. No luck whatsoever.

Cassettes, on the other hand, are HUGE.

I've spent quite a bit of time there too and haven't seen a single record either. Had sort of assumed records never made it to Tibet -- but recently discovered I was wrong... a Tibetan studies professor who I work with apparently found some Tibetan records at an antiques market in Chengdu. They're old (pre-1959) and very brittle, so he's reluctant to play them and has no clue what they contain. Eventually he plans to encode them with a laser turntable.

• you do realize modern day Tibetans are genetically descended from settlers coming from the crumbling Mongol Horde?

There is actually relatively little consensus as to the origins of the Tibetan people. It seems likely that they are partial descendants of Mongols, but the lineage is by no means pure.

as I understand it, Tibetans are the descendants of a rock oggress mother and compassionate monkey father -- at least according to their creation myth...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Not when it involves cultural genocide.

Just admit that u dont really care and are just posturing.

Go back to your communal farm and shut up, you freedom hater.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

as I understand it, Tibetans are the descendants of a rock oggress mother and compassionate monkey father -- at least according to their creation myth...

That's the gist of it. The monkey father was actually an emanation of Avalokitesvara, the Buddhist god of compassion.