Tibet

williedynamitewilliedynamite 263 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
There's some serious shit going down over there... Given the upcoming Olympics maybe all this negative coverage will spur China to reconsider its actions in Tibet, at least in the short-term -- but i'm not holding my breath.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/15/world/asia/15cnd-tibet.html?hp

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Yeah, things have been really hectic in Lhasa since the 10th. It's heartening in a way to see the Tibetans continue to fight in the face of such impossible odds, but it's also a reminder of just how bleak their situation is. I'm dying to go back right now, more so than ever.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    let's all invest in china and support the next big power in the world! the chinese government will give back! for sure!!!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    let's all invest in china and support the next big power in the world! the chinese government will give back! for sure!!!

Yea, basically the US supports China because they do "America" better.

Abused prisoners cranking out exports. Invading weaker countries to exploit their resources. Pretending the people matter while stomping thier rights into bug dust. Manufactuing goods at a very low cost with a high profit margin no matter haw harmfull it is to the workers and consumers. Total control of the TV, Radio, Newspaper and Internet. Locking people up for 10 years because they don't agree with your polotics.

We wish we were this good!

Tibetians with little to no hope still fighting and dying for their rights.

Americans only turning out 30-40% for elections and then bitching the country isn't where they want it to be.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Manufactuing goods at a very low cost with a high profit margin no matter haw harmfull it is to the workers and consumers and environment[/b].

the yang tze river,is in effects, a dead river. thats ill

loota changes need to happen out there, real soon

It's also nuts that China doesn't really consider that Tibet is the water source for China and India as well as SE Asia. Not only are they destroying the rivers of "inner" China, they are destroying the source water for multiple countries including their own.

greedy fools

all for "progress" and being a super power
    super assholes
    policy makers and everyone who thinks they have a better standard of living now that they have a car and disposal income to spend on bullshit. along with unbreathable air, fouled waters, and a paved over countryside where countless generations practiced fairly sustainable agriculture.

dont kill the goose that lays the golden egg

• A friend of mine who lives in Beijing was discussing the situation with at local chinese man and he said "but I think they're chinese". It must be weird that somebody else defines who you are like that.

Its all very sad.

Dress

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    if you'll remember bush is paying from the money borrowed from the chinese. the us is at 9 trillion dollars debt (GNP is 14 trillion in the US).

i guess bush is holding out til he can use the iraqi oil money to pay for it.

this article is semi unrelated but they mention china in there...

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/commentary/2008/03/12/146769/Iraq-war.htm

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i know it sounds harsh, but i really think the blind oversupport of anything chinese should have been stopped a long time ago. you wouldn't believe how many european companies support the chinese economy. i've seen employees with fake IDs, that they got from their own company (making them swiss) only to avoid a trade embargo. going to china with lots of money only to build up a franchise near shanghai.
    one of the other companies i worked for sent packages to uzbekistan or something, just because uzbekistan has no trade embargo with china. they paid the uzbekistanis for sending the stuff over to china. what the hell???
    money and the economy reign todays world. no need to care for anything else, i guess.

• U dudes never miss a chance to get your moral outrage on. Let china do china.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    let china do china? never that son!!!

Now the Chinese are reporting that no lethal wepons were used and no one was killed. But tapes of gun shots have smuggled out of Tibet already. Plus, they are claiming to be giving the protestes a chance to give up or they will be punished. In reality it's give up so we can punish you.

U dudes never miss a chance to get your moral outrage on. Let china do china.

Yea,

Let Ossama do Ossama

Let Hitler do Hitler

Let Kim Ill do Kim Ill

Let Brett Michaels do another Rock Of Love

U dudes never miss a chance to get your moral outrage on.

Not when it involves cultural genocide.

Let china do china.

You don't love America! You never loved America - you dirty pinko communist. Joseph McCarthy would hang you by your garter.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

you do realize modern day Tibetans are genetically descended from settlers coming from the crumbling Mongol Horde? i mean for centuries these dudes destroyed everything between Turkey and Eastern China. it's kind of a funny samsara irony that hasn't been lost on the Dalai Lama. what goes around comes around..

you do realize modern day Tibetans are genetically descended from settlers coming from the crumbling Mongol Horde? i mean for centuries these dudes destroyed everything between Turkey and Eastern China. it's kind of a funny samsara irony that hasn't been lost on the Dalai Lama. what goes around comes around..

What does this have to do with anything? You don't really think you understand karma do you?

You know it's kinda samsaric when all those people died in the World Trade Center because a lot of them were descended from people who owned slaves and beat them and killed them. Pu-leez.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    It's unfortunate that the Uyghurs lack a figure akin to the Dalai Lama to vocalize the struggles they face. Struggles which are eerily common to Tibetans (cultural assimilation, Han dominance).

Not drawing anything away from the situation at Tibet. If you feel there are injustices carried out by the Chinese government, you should read up on your read ups about the Xinjiang autonomous region also.

you do realize modern day Tibetans are genetically descended from settlers coming from the crumbling Mongol Horde?

There is actually relatively little consensus as to the origins of the Tibetan people. It seems likely that they are partial descendants of Mongols, but the lineage is by no means pure.

For the record, I am not just some Free Tibet (Concert) hippie schmuck. I am a normal schmuck who happens to have a bachelors in Tibetan studies from the University of Michigan. Summer 2007 was the first in the past 5 years that I did not spend in Tibet.

it's kind of a funny samsara irony that hasn't been lost on the Dalai Lama. what goes around comes around..

Karmic retribution and samsara are fundamentally antithetical to the notion of irony.

. Summer 2007 was the first in the past 5 years that I did not spend in Tibet.
    hows the diggin overthere? any spots?

. Summer 2007 was the first in the past 5 years that I did not spend in Tibet.
    hows the diggin overthere? any spots?

ZERO. On my first trip I actually brought an LP with me for reference. No luck whatsoever.

Cassettes, on the other hand, are HUGE.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

For the record, I am not just some Free Tibet (Concert) hippie schmuck. I am a normal schmuck who happens to have a bachelors in Tibetan studies from the University of Michigan. Summer 2007 was the first in the past 5 years that I did not spend in Tibet.

Out of curiosity, what does a degree in Tibetan studies lead to?

Out of curiosity, what does a degree in Tibetan studies lead to?

Well, I spent the first couple of years out of school leading teenagers on cultural expeditions through Kham and the Tibetan Autonomous Region, which was pretty cool. In the long-term, however, there isn't much you can do with the degree other than go back to school, get a doctorate, and teach. Either that or find an NGO in Dharamsala to work for. For me, the degree was a way to pursue my interest in Buddhist thought (specifically, the Madhyamika view espoused by Nagarjuna).

I also got a degree in developmental psychology, which is what I'm studying now at Stanford. I'm not crazy about the program, though, and will probably leave with my Masters rather than staying on for the doctorate (which would take a full 6 years). At this point, I don't really want to do anything with my life.

At this point, I don't really want to do anything with my life.

brother, you have obviously attained enlightenment

...along with a crippling addiction to youtube and soulstrut

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

...along with a crippling addiction to youtube and soulstrut

Ask me how I feel I'm when working the man (in the form of Canada's largest law firm) in four months....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Doing things is vastly over-rated.

• Not when it involves cultural genocide.

Just admit that u dont really care and are just posturing.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

I admit that I am just posturing.