XIAN vs. GOSPEL

williedynamitewilliedynamite 263 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Both categories of music imply religious overtones, but it seems that there's very little crossover between the two genres. Was wondering what makes the distinction?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "Xian" = white people

"Gospel" = black people

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Both categories of music imply religious overtones, but it seems that there's very little crossover between the two genres.

Andrae Crouch?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Both categories of music imply religious overtones, but it seems that there's very little crossover between the two genres.

Andrae Crouch?

Conspiracy theory: I've never seen Andrae Crouch and Pat Boone in the same room together.

• i thought it was based on style really...which can be related to skin color.

southern gospel = white (I don't know if anyone digs for this stuff)
    black gospel = well, black
    Xian - an other Christian based music done in a popular, contemporary style regardless of the color of the musicians (rock, folk, prog, psych, funk, soul)

I would argue that there is crossover...I can't see how there isn't, though I can't produce any examples off hand. I guess I'm thinkin of Xian rockers who do the soul/funk on occasion and gospel dudes who funk it up too.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Xian is quite (most?) often long haired hippie who took too much acid and found Jesus. So they are still burn outs who love trippy shit, but they do it for the lord. Plus, I doubt Dr Hooker had a lot of church gigs, unless it was one of those hippie churches. The new style of "praise bands" is in this same style. Kids who want to be cool AND saved.

Gospel is more like regular people singing for the lord. This is music you would hear in church. Black groups are usually better because they have a full band and SOUL! White groups are usually more rigid and choir like plus they often forgo the "devil drums". Plus, this style has continued to this day and is still good.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    southern gospel = white (I don't know if anyone digs for this stuff)

even the country & western-oriented white gospel can sound tedious

did anybody mention fern jones over there in the "best Numero Group release" thread? not essential, but better than most in the southern white gospel genre

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    white gospel records are good if you are into jackets with pictures of slack-jawed, cross-eyed folks in leisure suits

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    XIAN = Hillary

GOSPEL = Bill

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    XIAN = Hillary

GOSPEL = Bill

White people have names like Lenny, and black people have names like Karl.

XIAN = Hillary

GOSPEL = Bill

White people have names like Lenny, and black people have names like Karl.

LEN-NAAY!!!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "Xian" is short for Christian, like "Xmas"

It can apply to anything Christian

It'd be silly to try to define it as a certain genre b/c there are still going to be a lot of people who aren't using the term the way you are

It can apply to anything Christian

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It'd be silly to try to define it as a certain genre b/c there are still going to be a lot of people who aren't using the term the way you are

As words outside of record collecting, yeah, they are basically interchangeable, but as niche genres of music it's fairly clear cut.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

As words outside of record collecting, yeah, they are basically interchangeable, but as niche genres of music it's fairly clear cut.

Ah, I see....