Kelis 'The Hits'

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Really? Not super surprising but she's put out, what, three records and already a Greatest Hits? Including, of course, her "collaboration" with ODB? I guess she does sing "Baby I got your money." I am sure you guys can figure out the first two songs of the record. The rest of it is a mystery to me.This seems like a stretch even in the thin world of singles compilations.6.0

Comments

• do they come with videos?

(mmmm Bossy...)

i'm sayin tho...

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    "trick me" is the shit... but yeah, how can you only have 3 albums and then a greatest hits?

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    how can you only have 2[/b] albums and then a greatest hits?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    how can you only have 2[/b] albums and then a greatest hits?

Nice(!)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    "trick me" is the shit... but yeah, how can you only have 3 albums and then a greatest hits?

IMG src=http://i6.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b7/3c/62da_1_b.JPG>

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    how can you only have 4[/b] albums and then a greatest hits?

Kaleidoscope
    wanderland
    tasty
    kelis was here

well, maybe 4 is enough...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    "Now That's What I Call Kelis"

Well, she's had a hit on each album and some other album cuts that are probably similar, so it kind of makes sense to make a "here's the good shit, not the filler" release, but that's probably what people use itunes for.

speaking of greatest hits... how can anyone leave this out?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    speaking of greatest hits... how can anyone leave this out?

WOW. i did not know this existed. wow.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    shaq's got maaad joints, sun.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Don't forget the Macy Gray Greatest Hits either, some of these releases would probably be more apt as CD singles!

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Fu-Schnickens.

TWISM

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    1. Caught out There - Kelis
    2. Milkshake - Kelis
    3. Got Your Money [Explicit] - Kelis, Ol' Dirty Bastard
    4. Trick Me [Explicit] - Kelis
    5. Lil Star - Cee-Lo, , Kelis
    6. Get Along with You - Kelis
    7. Young, Fresh 'N' New - Kelis
    8. Truth or Dare - Kelis, , N.E.R.D., Pusha T
    9. Bossy - Kelis, , Too Short
    10. In Public - Kelis, Nas
    11. Millionaire - Andr?? 3000, Kelis
    12. Finest Dreams - Kelis, Richard X
    13. Suspended - Kelis
    14. Good Stuff - Kelis, Terrar

I can't really argue with this although "Flashback" from Tasty would have been included on my private mind garden Kelis greatest hits. I haven't listened to the albums before that in a minute though.

millionaire is my jam. I love that song.

• I can't really argue with this although "Flashback" from Tasty would have been included on my private mind garden Kelis greatest hits.

My private mind garden version of her greatest hits starts off with U-Tern's "Trilogy" Remix.

• Trilogy and "80's Joint" should of been on there.

That's funny just today @ Rasputin's they had the "Wu-Tang's Greatest Hits" it was pretty much 36 Chambers and shit like "Pinky Ring".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    millionaire is my jam. I love that song.
    Yeah, that shit is perfect.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    oh yeah, 80's joint! i just looked for that kat williams "thats my schitt!" graemlin and realized someone just posted it on their own

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    Really? Not super surprising but she's put out, what, three records and already a Greatest Hits? Including, of course, her "collaboration" with ODB? I guess she does sing "Baby I got your money." I am sure you guys can figure out the first two songs of the record. The rest of it is a mystery to me.

This seems like a stretch even in the thin world of singles compilations.

It ain't that unusual in the pop market for an act only a few albums deep to put out a hits collection. And in Europe at least, Kelis is very much on the pop side of things, plus she's had a bunch of hit singles out here.

If anything, it seems more like a label who, after years of marketing her ineptly but still getting a few hits more by accident than design, are looking to try and recoup as much of what they've pissed away as they can.

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    i thought greatest hits albums were made to fulfill record contract obligations...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I still love Suspended as much today as when that album came out.

i thought greatest hits albums were made to fulfill record contract obligations...

Not all the time. "Greatest Hits" or "Best of" comps are, by definition, comprised of previously-released material, and the delivery clauses in most recording agreements specify that those kind of albums aren't considered to be "new" - if you have a five-album deal and the fifth album is a "best of", then you could effectively owe the label another album.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It'd be interesting to see if a premature Greatest Hits comp had any correlation with said career being over. Is it a final cash-in or just a stop gap?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I celebrate her entire**cough**catalog.

It'd be interesting to see if a premature Greatest Hits comp had any correlation with said career being over. Is it a final cash-in or just a stop gap?

I think she just needs a label that knows what to do with her. She's good looking, has a decent profile/recognition factor, has a pretty broad appeal, and she's made some good records. Thus far, though, her career seems to have been more a tale of unfulfilled potential than anything else.

I was listening to Kaleidescope yesterday and wondered if she was simply a product of the Neptunes? I think she had a hard time findin her nitch after they stopped producing for her.

I was listening to Kaleidescope yesterday and wondered if she was simply a product of the Neptunes? I think she had a hard time findin her nitch after they stopped producing for her.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Either way, Europe seemed to take to her much more readily than the US.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Either way, Europe seemed to take to her much more readily than the US.

Yeah, Wanderland came out in the US under an IMPORT label and w/ no promotions besides some paste-posters sprinkled around the city.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah, Wanderland came out in the US under an IMPORT label and w/ no promotions besides some paste-posters sprinkled around the city.

From memories of hearing the album at the time it was probably a wise choice by the record company as, maybe one or two tracks apart, it really was a damp squib of an album.

• yeah cosign on Trick Me as being the shit. the DnB remix by AI was dope as hell too.