Pennsylvania Primary...

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
campaigning starts today. i know there are ton of Pa people on here. can we get a running tally as to who people are voting for?KVH - Obama!

Comments

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I'm voting for nobody since it is a closed primary. I thought about changing my party affiliation so I could vote for Obama and still may before the 24th, but I haven't decided yet.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    OBAMA[/b]

Somebody was distributing "Vote for Obama and make sure to register" flyers on my block last night. The one taped to my building's front door was snatched down in less than an hour.

I think Chelsea's visit to Penn must have really tickled somebody...

• I thought about changing changed my party affiliation so I could vote for Obama.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    what do people think of Nutter supporting HIllary? its undeniable that the hillary connection to PA is very strong. Rendell could potentially be her VP, and if not, she still owes him big time for the campaigning he has done here and on national tv (meet the press this past sunday). so, you can't fault Nutter for trying to hook up the state and you gotta give him credit for putting himself out there among the philly black voters who got him elected.

on the other hand - is he just being stubborn because he started supporting her when obama was a longshot and perhaps he just wants to seem consistent?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Seems to me that Nutter could be in a tough position. I think he probably feels a bit torn between his local party's affiliation with the Clintons and the choice of his constituents, black voters in this city who probably will be supporting Obama in large numbers.

We've seen this same situation with Gov. John Lewis in Georgia who claimed that switching his vote from Clinton to Obama (at the pressure of those who elected him) was a more difficult experience than what he went through during the Civil Rights movement.

Here's a piece from USA Today that may suggest otherwise...

Philly mayor, Obama share no brotherly love[/b]

Why Clinton?

"I met with both Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama last year, and I made my judgment based on their experience and policy ideas. I'm going to work very hard (to help her win the Pennsylvania primary). I'm not conceding any section of the city or any constituency" to Obama, Nutter told me.

Nutter said Clinton's urban agenda and her position on public safety and repairing the infrastructure of aging cities led him to endorse her. But I suspect he could also have been moved by something else. In endorsing Clinton, he said: "It's time for cities and metropolitan areas to take their prominent place in America again." Philadelphia, he said, needs "a friend in the White House."

But there seems to be little friendship between Philadelphia's mayor and Obama, who took time in the midst of his busy presidential campaign to try to block Nutter's path to City Hall.

(read more)

Convolution...

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    yea, i forgot to mention that Obama supported Fattah. i give the mayor more credit than to let that be an issue for him though. seems like a stand-up guy!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i ride for nutter

and i ride for obama

i'll be doing my usual high school registration and get-to-the-polls campaign in april and november

short story:
    in 2004, i identified all the school's 18 yer olds (about 30+) and made sure they were registered. election day, we got permission to car pool them during th day to the polling stations. so i mapped it out by polling location and each volunteer driver grabbed 3-4 kids. i had 3 guys who had to go to two nearby spots. we went to the first spot, which was at an old folks apartment building (40th market). the lines were crazy long, so we told the young man that we would drop him off, go to the other station and come back. well, i wanted to make sure that he was all set, so the 4 of us walked him to the back of the line. we walked past wheelchairs, old folks with canes and drip bags, elders intheir nightgowns...you can imagine the scene. and here come these 3 young men, walking from the front of the line to the back. there were so many nods of affirmation , proud looks and "good to see you here"s. a simple thing, but one of the most beautiful, poignant things ive ever witnessed. the boys were visibly moved and i tear up every time i think about it.