Ohio Players school me on their lps

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Helena Ferguson's "Where Is The Party?"

Some badass fuzz guitar on that track. And then there's Helena herself, who kinda sounds like Spanky Wilson: "somebody tell meeee...whe-eh-eh-eh-ehhhh...where is the party?" Great record.

Yes, that's the one. Nice guitar indeed.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So...what's the word on Junie's solo elpees?

I just heard Bread Alone for the first time...it was a lot more mainstream than what I was expecting. I guess I was thinking it would be on some kind of whacked-out, Mutiny/Space Cadets/Eddie Hazel/Clinton kinda steez, but going by a few needle swipes it sounded like typical 1980 funk (not bad for what it was, though).

• So...what's the word on Junie's solo elpees?

can we get a

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I caught Ohio Players live with Lakeside opening a few months ago. Pretty damn good show, they played all the hits (including Funky Worm).

can we get a

yeah, i'm hip he once posted on the Strut, answering a technical question about the synth on "funky worm"!

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    I made a quad>stereo MP3 somewhere, if I can find it I can up it if interested).

Yes pleez

I second Batmon's request. Please please,and thank you thank you.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    Nice one Johmbolaya, hadnt seen that you posted it already, thanks. Ill try not to let the excitement get the best of me before going through the thread, i get excited bout them ohio players cause i'm originally from cinci.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

can we get a

yeah, i'm hip he once posted on the Strut, answering a technical question about the synth on "funky worm"!

I was looking for that thread, but it's impossible to find older threads unless you somehow stumble across them by accident searching through the posts of members with low post counts (like you've mentioned previously, Pickwick). I've really begun using the toggle topic function a lot more the last year because of the limitations of the search function.

Re: Junie's solo albums, he's got some good ideas here and there, but as a whole they miss the mark IMO. I ride for "Super J", though. It seems like working with others like the Ohio Players or P-Funk brought out the best in him. His solo albums are basically one-man efforts with him producing, arranging, multitracking all the instruments, singing all the vocal parts (the first LP at least). It sounds to me like he could have needed someone else's input along the way to make those albums a bit more focused.

I was looking for that thread, but it's impossible to find older threads unless you somehow stumble across them by accident searching through the posts of members with low post counts (like you've mentioned previously, Pickwick).

And I'm quite sure that Junie's post count is still "1." If it was before January 2005, it might be lost forever.

Re: Junie's solo albums, he's got some good ideas here and there, but as a whole they miss the mark IMO. I ride for "Super J", though.

Yeah, forgot to mention, I have that on a 45. On the other side, he's STILL milking the "Funky Worm" novelty (with "Granny's Funky Rolls Royce"), but "Super J" is pretty much on the money.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I was looking for that thread, but it's impossible to find older threads unless you somehow stumble across them by accident searching through the posts of members with low post counts (like you've mentioned previously, Pickwick).

And I'm quite sure that Junie's post count is still "1." If it was before January 2005, it might be lost forever.

Re: Junie's solo albums, he's got some good ideas here and there, but as a whole they miss the mark IMO. I ride for "Super J", though.

Yeah, forgot to mention, I have that on a 45. On the other side, he's STILL milking the "Funky Worm" novelty (with "Granny's Funky Rolls Royce"), but "Super J" is pretty much on the money.

I've got to say, man - your Funky Granny imitation is pretty good. Had me laughing last time you did it.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    They ever do a box set of the Westbound albums?

No, and a no on the Funkadelic stuff too. There was an interview I read with Armen Boladian who said that as far as outtakes and alternate takes (as the question was asked about their existence), he said there wasn't any because he didn't think they would one day be of value, so anything that was not meant for a final mix was erased over, destroyed, or thrown out years ago. It has been about 16 years since Ace Records did all of those reissues, and one would think that there would be a little more. Live recordings? Maybe surviving members have demos?

Maybe Junie has stuff and he may not want to give any of it up unless a good deal can come out if it, but if that's the case, release it now on vinyl or CD before it's limited to just MP3's.

The band didn't even get a 5CD box set treatment for the Mercury stuff, although I would guess that their entire Mercury catalog could fit on 5CD's.

If Polygram/Universal didn't touch their catalog for the most part, I'm curious if they plan on releasing any existing Mercury outtakes in MP3 form. If not (and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't), it is a true loss. I know, it's nothing more than one fan (out of many) being greedy for the sake of wanting to hear more. It would be great to hear a full take of "Love Rollercoaster" without the fade. I'm used to hearing Aerosmith's "Love Child" with the fade (like the 45 and album), but on the radio they play the one that ends cold (I think it's from the Columbia Greatest Hits[/b] album). It's great to hear that but... it's another issue of labels not caring about soul or funk in the same way they cater to rock, pop, and jazz. I wish I could be a part of the reissue department of any major label and organize some stuff. Universal has the Hip-O Select division for reissuing long out of print albums or coming up with new comps (like the series of James Brown singles they're doing), utilize that. Create something similar to what Rhino has with Rhino Handmade, and press up 2500 to 5000 copies of a decent title. I've asked for a Rare Earth Records box set for years, big orange box and everything.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For the record, the Ohio Untouchables fucking SHRED.

Robert Ward =

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    The mr.mean by the OHIO PLAYERs is actually a SDTk to what movie I have no idea. Thats why you don't it see much. heads know theres samples on it to grab.
    The one lp i like is rattlensnake on westbound

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I just heard Bread Alone for the first time...it was a lot more mainstream than what I was expecting. I guess I was thinking it would be on some kind of whacked-out, Mutiny/Space Cadets/Eddie Hazel/Clinton kinda steez, but going by a few needle swipes it sounded like typical 1980 funk (not bad for what it was, though).

Not very good. Songs don't go anywhere, nothing special.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I made a quad>stereo MP3 somewhere, if I can find it I can up it if interested).

Yes pleez

No problem. Here it is:

DivShare File - Ohio Players - Love Rollercoaster _quad m.mp3

(I tried to do the regular DivShare thing where you listen, but it's not working for me)

It's at 320kbps, so if you or anyone else wants to use it for whatever reason, there it is.

My younger brother is a big RHCP fan...he almost died when i dropped the OG Ohio Players version on him.... I was like bro 'you got funk rock, then you got FUNK that ROCKS!'.... I hope he understands the difference.

• The one lp i like is rattlensnake on westbound

Just spun this yesterday for the first time in about 10 years .. Rattlesnake is not nearly as bad as i remember and not nearly as common as the other titles.. though it doesn't nearly match the OP's other solid Westbound lps ... Its a comp. of mostly unreleased tracks put out by Westbound to capitalize on their Mercury success ... Varee is Love , and Laid it are from the Pleasure Lp and Spinning is from the Ecstasy LP. leaving a only a few good unreleased tracks

Other than Faze-o and Helena Ferguson what are the other OP related or raer 45 material should I be looking out for ?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Other than Faze-o and Helena Ferguson what are the other OP related material should I be looking out for ?

I've always enjoyed the 3 albums by OP-offshoot group Shadow, released during the late 70's-early 80's on Elektra.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    wait a minute...people on here ride for SHADOW??

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Listening to "Pain" right now. Definitely my favorite.

No, and a no on the Funkadelic stuff too. There was an interview I read with Armen Boladian who said that as far as outtakes and alternate takes (as the question was asked about their existence), he said there wasn't any because he didn't think they would one day be of value, so anything that was not meant for a final mix was erased over, destroyed, or thrown out years ago.

So what about those two "odds & sods" albums that Westbound released back in the seventies, after the band already split for Mercury? (I'm talkin' 'bout Climax and Rattlesnake - or were those comps of stuff already released?)

[color:red]
    Other than Faze-o and Helena Ferguson what are the other OP related or raer 45 material should I be looking out for ? [/color]

Well, Sugarfoot had a solo album on Warner Bros. (featuring "Fire '85"). And the Ohio Players themselves had a bland Christmas single on Mercury ("Happy Holidays"). I don't think either one is that special, but they're out there.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

No, and a no on the Funkadelic stuff too. There was an interview I read with Armen Boladian who said that as far as outtakes and alternate takes (as the question was asked about their existence), he said there wasn't any because he didn't think they would one day be of value, so anything that was not meant for a final mix was erased over, destroyed, or thrown out years ago.

So what about those two "odds & sods" albums that Westbound released back in the seventies, after the band already split for Mercury? (I'm talkin' 'bout Climax and Rattlesnake - or were those comps of stuff already released?)

See above:

Just spun this yesterday for the first time in about 10 years .. Rattlesnake is not nearly as bad as i remember and not nearly as common as the other titles.. though it doesn't nearly match the OP's other solid Westbound lps ... Its a comp. of mostly unreleased tracks put out by Westbound to capitalize on their Mercury success ... Varee is Love , and Laid it are from the Pleasure Lp and Spinning is from the Ecstasy LP. leaving a only a few good unreleased tracks

There was also a OP Best-of-Westbound entitled "Orgasm."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The mr.mean by the OHIO PLAYERs is actually a SDTk to what movie I have no idea. Thats why you don't it see much. heads know theres samples on it to grab.

Well Ive been waiting a mad long -ass time to hear somebody freak the samples from MR.Mean and I havent heard shit.

as far a Mr. Mean the movie.....Its a Fred Williamson movie from 1977. I never heard of it.
    It sounds independent, so i guess it probably showed on 42nd street back in the days.
    last days of blaxploitaion.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Was listening to Climax last night...Pack It Up, Sleep Talk, Players Ballin', and Climax =

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    I think any Ohio Players LP is a safe bet, if you consider yourself a DJ you should own at least half their catalog. cats are some of the hardest eva!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think any Ohio Players LP is a safe bet

Ever notice how much the opening guitar lick from "Trespassin'" sounds exactly like the riff on the theme from American Idol?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    even though this was before they hooked up with that infamous bald headed woman, u gotta love this cover too!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I've got "When We Do" by Junie and I remember liking it but I'mma have to go back and give it a listen, it's been a while.

even though this was before they hooked up with that infamous bald headed woman, u gotta love this cover too!

I think they already HAD hooked up with the bald woman by then. This is an archival compilation that wasn't released with the bands' consent. Up Front wasn't savvy enough to release a cover that looked like their normal albums, so they used some painting of the band instead.

(Another Up Front release from around the same time by the O'Jays had a similar cover.)