Web design and hosting....

tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
yeah I know.....I could learn to do it myself (design that is), but i can't be bothered. Who out there might have a recommendation of a good designer who is not crazy expensive. I am needing only a fairly simple site, but a good looking one. Feel free to represent yourself if you are a designer. Also, any recommendations for hosting it would also be welcome. many thanks........

Comments

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    I used to use www.brinkster.com/ a few years ago. Not sure how it is now but back then the free service had no advertising and was pretty much straightforward to use. As for designs, dreamweaver is a good program to use. It takes a few days to learn but after that it's a breeze. If you're too lazy for that, www.oswd.org has designs that you can play with.

• 3ix.org -- Super, super cheap

$1 per month + $8.95 for yearly domain reg = cheap

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    3ix.org -- Super, super cheap

usually you get what you pay for...

• deeseldeesel 61 Posts
    I use Bluehost: massive bandwidth, great support, easy to use for about 8 bucks a month.

• 3ix.org -- Super, super cheap

usually you get what you pay for...

I've been doing design / web design and small scale development -- since 2000 and have been doing freelance work for the past 6 years. I've used Dreamhost for the past 8 years, for personal as well as business and it's great (at about $8 a month), but decided to try something different this time around.

I stumbled upon 3ix by accident and read into it -- seemed pretty unbelievable at first. I've had an account with them for about a month and have yet to run into any problems. They give you 5 gigs storage, which is completely ample for anybody, unless you need to host mp3 / wav / movies / etc. They give you 10 gigs transer, something like 20 email accounts. It's very 'no frills', but it's definitely worth it -- especially when most hosting companies sell you / provide you things that you couldn't possibly ever use (ie unlimited email accounts, 200 gbs storage, etc).