Best Time Travel Movies

soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
From the perspective of least flawed concept on going between past and future I have to ride for 12 Monkeys. Plus you get Bruce Willis' typical crazy tough beaten the hell up character and Brad Pitt playing a loony tune. I know most of y'all will hate though...so what is your nominee?

Comments

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    TIME BANDITS.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I don't know about best, but Time Bandits is awesome.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    TIME BANDITS.

Ha! Beat me to the punch.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Back to the future.

Biff rules.

• I love the first two Back to the Future movies....

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Primer

• Gotta go with Bill & Ted on this one.

• I don't know about best, but Time Bandits is awesome.

i had forgotten about this movie until i saw the title of this thread! gotta add this to the collection....

• realize & recognize...

• Last night's ep of LOST.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Primer

That movie was horrible. I couldn't finish it.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    "what happens if it really works" is a really bad tagline.

Both 12 Monkeys and Time Bandits are by the same director, Terry Gilliam.

I thought Frequency was an alright time travel movie. And Butterfly Effect was surprisingly good all things considered.

• this one was also pretty good as i recall....

• donnie darko
    slaughterhouse 5

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts

Amazing stuff. Highly recommended.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Primer

It improved as it went on. I'll be the first to admit that the attempt at realistic overlapping dialogue during the set up was pretty horrible and slowed things down considerably but thought it was an interesting exploration of the theme, particularly the way it dealt with small instances of time travel rather than on an epic scale. I know lots of people who hated it though so each to their own.

Apart from that and the ones above, Groundhog Day would be the obvious addition.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    All of the above and also which 12 Monkeys is loosley based on.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Primer

It improved as it went on. I'll be the first to admit that the attempt at realistic overlapping dialogue during the set up was pretty horrible and slowed things down considerably but thought it was an interesting exploration of the theme, particularly the way it dealt with small instances of time travel rather than on an epic scale. I know lots of people who hated it though so each to their own.

It's a time travel movie made for only $7,000. You gota give it some respect.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

I'll ride for this French psych-tinged time-travel comedy/drama/romance/tragedy... showed it in Baltimore for free a few months ago without having seen it before and was very pleasantly surprised.

But 12 Monkeys is definitely one of my favorite Hwood films of the 90s...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I actually liked "The Time Machine"

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Primer

It's a time travel movie made for only $7,000. You gota give it some respect.

I loved this movie, watched it three times. I think a little too much was going on in the last 20 minutes though.

Primer

I thought it got worse as it went on. I know the bad acting and lack of sets had to do with the low budget, but the story went from mildly interesting to completely ridiculous as it turned from a semi-scientific exploration of time travel into a clumsy, pseudo-action movie with a psychotic killer and only minutes to save a bunch of lives. It was obnoxiously contrived and amateurish.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Primer

I thought it got worse as it went on. I know the bad acting and lack of sets had to do with the low budget, but the story went from mildly interesting to completely ridiculous as it turned from a semi-scientific exploration of time travel into a clumsy, pseudo-action movie with a psychotic killer and only minutes to save a bunch of lives. It was obnoxiously contrived and amateurish.

It may not be the best movie ever made in the genre, personally I'm not a huge fan, but getting an completely independent movie made is a pretty big deal. Doing it for as little money as they did is just amazing. The fact that it's in a genre that usually = big budget and special effects, makes it pretty fuckin special.

Primer

It may not be the best movie ever made in the genre, personally I'm not a huge fan, but getting an completely independent movie made is a pretty big deal. Doing it for as little money as they did is just amazing. The fact that it's in a genre that usually = big budget and special effects, makes it pretty fuckin special.

I get it. It was low-budget. So was My Dinner With Andre, which didn't suck.

• Primer

flaws aside, i found it very compelling in terms of the narrative technique - the way stuff just changes without explanation - thats the way it would appear to the characters. granted, it requires a lot of catching up by the audience, and it does move too fast in the last third so that its truly hard to follow, AND the ending is rather goofy - but i still think concept-wise this is the best time travel film. If it was remade for like, $15,000, well, THAT would be the jam.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ill add....

"Terminator of Data - And your rhymes are Sarah Conner.."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Primer

I thought Primer was great, a movie made by nerds, for nerds. Sure there are issues with acting and pacing and it's relatively inpenatrable for its lack of exposition, but it's one of the few time travel movies that made an effort to seem realistic. If you look online you can find maps that lay out all of the interacting timelines in the movie, but I choose to avoid those. It just makes me feel better knowing that the filmmakers sat down and really carefully considered how events would unfold. Compare Primer to Donnie Darko, a movie which I liked for its creepy stylishness, but it was clear that Richard Kelly couldn't be bothered to really think out the parameters of his time displacements and was really going on his intuitive sense.

My vote goes to the Roswell That Ends Well episode of Futurama.

"Ohh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. "I'm My Own Grandfather"! Let's just steal the damn dish and get out of here! Screw history! "

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Last night's ep of LOST.

Crazy stuff man... LOST is

• I remember this being a good one when I was a kid.