The Soulstrut Glossary

Guantanamo_JonesGuantanamo_Jones 177 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I know there has been a thread about SS slang, but I would find it amusing to compile a glossary of the terms that are used here,my personal favorite right now isI ride for (insert here)

Comments

• it took me awhile to understand everything at the beginning. I was so lost on some of them like Selma Hayek. I think that is the beauty of the Strut. You have to go through a discovery period before you really know what's going on. That's what makes it so funny when someone jumps right in and makes their first post and uses all of the graemlins improperly.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    That's what makes it so funny when someone jumps right in and makes their first post and uses all of the graemlins improperly.

Speaking of which, does anyone have that "Driveby Lurker" graemlin around? That one doesn't get the play it deserves these days.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Need a glossary = yes
    e.g.

Could care less = couldn't care less

either an ironic language subculture perversion (for which approval due) or sheer linguistic stoopidity (for which Logic Fascism is due)

Highly illogical. Sort it out!

Need a glossary = yes
    e.g.

either an ironic language subculture perversion (for which approval due) or sheer linguistic stoopidity (for which Logic Fascism is due)

I don't get it bro.

• "I ride for..." like so many others is not a saying that either originated with or is exclusive to soulstrut.

Do you guys live under rocks? Or, like, Wyoming or something?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "I ride for..." like so many others is not a saying that either originated with or is exclusive to soulstrut.

Oregon, it's kinda like Wyoming.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Need a glossary = yes
    e.g.

I don't get it bro.

I keep reading lines like 'he seemed like he could care less' meaning 'he could not care at all'.
    In which case 'he couldn't care less' is the logical phrase to use.
    Not being able to care less means plumbing the depths of the ability to care. The nadir of caring-ness.
    Sheesh I'm worn out now.
    Logic is tiring.

Logic is tiring.

I feel you bro. I leave it alone.

Bro.

• "I ride for..." like so many others is not a saying that either originated with or is exclusive to soulstrut.

"So Necessary"???? i don't get it? why does this "Jayson Z" person say that? ohhh soulstrut

• , anyone?

JEEEEEEAH.......AYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

• it took me awhile to understand everything at the beginning. I was so lost on some of them like Selma Hayek.

me too, i think that is the only one that still eludes me.

• you'll figure it out eventually.

But it's used so much around here, it may as well be[/b]. If there's gonna be a Soul Strut glossary, go ahead and add it, I say.

• Need a glossary = yes
    e.g.

I don't get it bro.

I keep reading lines like 'he seemed like he could care less' meaning 'he could not care at all'.
    In which case 'he couldn't care less' is the logical phrase to use.
    Not being able to care less means plumbing the depths of the ability to care. The nadir of caring-ness.

But this is a "Soul Strut glossary" thread, not a "misuse of the English language" thread. Is there a graemlin for "not-quite-clear-on-the-concept"?

• That's what makes it so funny when someone jumps right in and makes their first post and uses all of the graemlins improperly.

I think I'm still using most graemlins improperly.

But I am also suspicious that when the last batch of new graemlins came along, a lot of them were undefined...like, Raj was waiting for us to put the to use and *give* them their meanings.

, anyone?

Still waiting for the meaning of

Is there a graemlin for "not-quite-clear-on-the-concept"?

Don't think so bro.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Don't think so bro.

that one should do the trick tho

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    That's what makes it so funny when someone jumps right in and makes their first post and uses all of the graemlins improperly.

But I am also suspicious that when the last batch of new graemlins came along, a lot of them were undefined...like, Raj was waiting for us to put the to use and *give* them their meanings.

, anyone?

I'm guessing it's a refernce to Chocolate City by Parliament.
    Chocolate City = DC
    DC = Government.
    To be used when government passes some questionable shit.

IE: The man is gainin' on ya.

Let me know if I'm wrong, just my deduction.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

, anyone?

Chocolate City = DC
    DC = Government.

Or capit(al/ol) gains

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

, anyone?

Chocolate City = DC
    DC = Government.

Or capit(al/ol) gains

I always thought it looked like one of those robots from Battlestar Galactica. But capital gains sounds and looks right upon further review.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Speaking of which, does anyone have that "Driveby Lurker" graemlin around? That one doesn't get the play it deserves these days.

I second this request. I checked my graemlin holding tanks and I don't have a link to it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I second this request. I checked my graemlin holding tanks and I don't have a link to it.

Ahhh, yes...my proudest graemlin creation to date:

Ahhh, yes...my proudest graemlin creation to date:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

This would be a good one. Any ideas for the image?

This thread topic is a regular though. And someone always complians that these aren't soulstrut specific phrases anyway.
    Wayback, didn't someone also write their thesis on the subject? 300 words on the origin of 'Jawn'

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "I ride for..." like so many others is not a saying that either originated with or is exclusive to soulstrut.

They definitely don't listen to rap. But I guess that's not news.

• yeah that drive by lurker is hilarious. I think it originated when some dude came out swinging his purse at faux rillz hella hard.

I also enjoyed the birth of The Non's/Demon Fuzz graemling "this is not sex nor robbery related".

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    What we should do is develop a soulstrut timeline of the de rigeur albums to grip at a particular time based on what was ridden for the hardest.. From Headless Heroes to Demon Fuzz to Billy Wooten to Boscoe... I've noticed over the years in my sectarian lurking that certain albums became the hottest pokemon in the grippeur's headlights at certain times. Only to denounce said album later on as being for little dudes. The grippeur's chronology. Having drifted in and out of this place as a lurker for years and years I missed random chunks of strut culture. I'd be real interested to see what the popular consensus is...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The grippeur's chronology.

This would rule. Here's some that I recall being super heavily gripped here...

Stark Reality
    Invaders
    Mulatu on Worthy
    Placebo Ball of Eyes
    Demon Fuzz
    People Hold On
    Sylvers 2
    Boscoe
    Lovelites

• still working it out. just re-introduced myself today with the meaning of "microwave", thankfully i didnt have to ask

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sylvers 2 3