Erykah Badu - New Amerykah part one

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I don't think I've heard anyone even mention or inquire about "that blidge and bono cut".

I've only heard two joints off this Erykah record: "Honey" (which sounds like three songs from her "Worldwide Underground" EP or whatever it was called) and the one where she's whispering or chanting some shit. Not yet impressed.
    uncharacteristically rong

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm generally scared of SA-RA beats. Are they any good on Erykah's album?
    this record is more than the sum of its parts. e.b. gets the credit for this. im not a fan of madlib/sa-ra/9th as a MOVEMENT outside of decent # of individual tracks but this album is much much more

• I'm guess I'm disconnected from the "new mary" demographic

^^^ PROTESTS TOO MUCH ^^^

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I dunno about platinum but in case you dudes missed it the best selling rap albums right now are by dudes like COMMON.

your older grown n sexy crowd are the only ones who still buy CDs so I think this will sell pretty well - not at mary/beyonce level but platinum might not actually be out of reach

also 'honey' is the shit and a great single

remember that 'serious R&B' also sells really well, ramp samples or no ... anthony hamilton sells like crazy despite not being r kelly

The older crowd is who will be most vocally dissapointed, because they will expect 'Honey' for their money.

It is not the 'serious R n B' you speak of. It is on some other shit, which as interesting as it may be, if it moves units I will be the first one to say, "Whoa, Deej was right...I must be disconnected." I think her core fanbase will love it, but they may not tell their best friends to get their own!

• I don't think I've heard anyone even mention or inquire about "that blidge and bono cut".

I've only heard two joints off this Erykah record: "Honey" (which sounds like three songs from her "Worldwide Underground" EP or whatever it was called) and the one where she's whispering or chanting some shit. Not yet impressed.
    uncharacteristically rong

You don't think that "Honey" sounds like "Back In The Day" and "Bump It"? I can't remember if there is a third, as I said before.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Deej is riding hard for this album.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    an expected million-seller

D'ANGELOL

It's possbile, G&S people are still part of that demographic that cop music/ still buy C.D.'s plus her ability to connect with women almost on some Mary schitt equal more sales and she's pretty much been able to stay relevant and gain some new (younger) fans. Could happen.

Did this drop already?

Exactly. "Baduizm" went triple platinum, and her new album is expected to be her best work since.

But that was when people were still buying albums.

In this new climate do anyone expect her to even go platinum? That's not realistic to me.

I agree, the climate has changed. Universal seems to be pretty confident, though. They've definetely used the right marketing outlets (album sponsored by MySpace, etc). It would surprise me if it went triple platinum again, but to scratch the million mark is possible. But who knows, maybe it will be a giant flop and the whole hype was for nothing.

LOL @ Erykah selling a million albums in '08.

200K if she's lucky.

• The SA RA dudes produced like half of the album.
    I'm guessing they're the ones responsible for the Dilla rip-off sounding tracks?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this will easily go gold. ill gamble on that one. too difficult for much of anything to go plat now but shes got a starbucks tie in (fuck a myspace thats where the dough is) and its been getting adverts on tv ... 'honey's been doing decent on r&b radio ...

• I'm guess I'm disconnected from the "new mary" demographic

^^^ PROTESTS TOO MUCH ^^^

what does that mean?

and I was being sarcastic with the "new mary demo"

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    http://www.myspace.com/thecannabinoids

that's a link to a side project with Erykah and some other Dallas folks...

out there improv type stuff.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anyone catch that VH1 SoulStage performace by Badu?

At the end of Didnt Ya Know she morphs into Believe In Yourself..DeeDee Bridgewater/Lena Horne song from The Wiz......

• an expected million-seller

D'ANGELOL

It's possbile, G&S people are still part of that demographic that cop music/ still buy C.D.'s plus her ability to connect with women almost on some Mary schitt equal more sales and she's pretty much been able to stay relevant and gain some new (younger) fans. Could happen.

Did this drop already?

Exactly. "Baduizm" went triple platinum, and her new album is expected to be her best work since.

But that was when people were still buying albums.

In this new climate do anyone expect her to even go platinum? That's not realistic to me.

I agree, the climate has changed. Universal seems to be pretty confident, though. They've definetely used the right marketing outlets (album sponsored by MySpace, etc). It would surprise me if it went triple platinum again, but to scratch the million mark is possible. But who knows, maybe it will be a giant flop and the whole hype was for nothing.

LOL @ Erykah selling a million albums in '08.

200K if she's lucky.

cosign. The album is a 4 tracker at best and way too repetitive. Honey was really the only good track on it.

(album sponsored by MySpace, etc)

BILOL

bbwwahaha...Thats the other soul dude, Bilal Salaam, I think.

Dog, getting your album or a feature by myspace is a huge look, especially in terms of exposure. I mean, c'mon, pretty much any rapper who takes there shit seriously wouldn't turn down something like this.

OR DO YOU STILL ROCK A FRIENDSTER ACCOUNT!!?!?!?!

The boy's still all up on BlackPlanet.

• The boy's still all up on BlackPlanet.

Man I KNOW Faux was on BP, but what other white 'Strutters had a profile? I didn't even know what that was until last year. Shit, I was late to Myspace. Isn't that pretty much what it is/was?

Man I KNOW Faux was on BP, but what other white 'Strutters had a profile? I didn't even know what that was until last year.

Plaese to don't act like you weren't all up on Mi Gente.

• The boy's still all up on BlackPlanet.

Man I KNOW Faux was on BP, but what other white 'Strutters had a profile? I didn't even know what that was until last year.

I don't know what that is either but it would make sense considering I'm Chicano.

I don't know what that is either but it would make sense considering I'm Chicano.

It was BP's attempt to replicate their success with a different demographic--I don't think it really took off, though.

Ms. Badu also plans to start a lifestyle magazine, The Freaq, this summer.

Poaster most likely to purchase an advance subscription: do I even have to say it?

• im liking the album. healer and soldier is my shit.

... but honey...

NOT feeling it. i feel like ive heard this from erykah. bag lady is a good song... but you can't put honey on the level of bag lady. 9th wonder basically took a decent sample and sucked all the soul out of it. someone needs to break his pc. why is all his shit LOCKED at 92 bpm? what the fuck... yeah honey was the most uninspired sounding piece of work ive heard from erykah.

soldier is that heat though.

• I just got the album, but I'm feeling a nauseous, so 7 Steps To Heaven is on while I check out the linear notes. Honestly, I'm a little afraid to listen to this right now. The cover and liner note artwork all remind me of 7th grade. And how much does her room look like a 7th grader's fantasy:

Get your bed off the damn floor! You have a successful music career. This is not grown and sexy.

• This is album is pretty damn good. It's not as left-field as people say especially since any and all "weird" moments are pretty much kept to certain tracks, there's plenty of really well-done songs that a typical Badu fan would bump.

I've only played it 3 times but so far "Soldier" is the joint, I'm not familiar with the other song titles yet. The artwork is wild, but what did you expect?

I don't get how a fan of "mama's gun" woudn't get down with this album.

• I just got the album, but I'm feeling a nauseous, so 7 Steps To Heaven is on while I check out the linear notes. Honestly, I'm a little afraid to listen to this right now. The cover and liner note artwork all remind me of 7th grade. And how much does her room look like a 7th grader's fantasy:

Get your bed off the damn floor! You have a successful music career. This is not grown and sexy.

:EYEROLL:

:EYEROLL:

Have you checked out the drawing of the barcode where the alpha-numeric code says "50C1AL 5YST3M"? It really sums up how I feel about consumerism.

• My favorite work from miss badu since baduism.

and the bed on the floor is almost as sexy as she is...

• The bed on the floor is almost as sexy as she is

Understand how ridiculous this sounds.

She is 37. Time to get up off the floor.

I got over the shitty agitprop artwork, and listened to the album. I like the consistency in the production and lyrical content. My main gripe is that alot of these songs are kinda formless. I like me some more dynamics, but I guess wandering compositions are part of the neo-soul thing. Solider is definitely the stand out. I'll give it a few more listens, but I don't know how much more I'll be Frickin' with it outside of Solider and Honey.

• Frick. It looks like I caught that virus.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Bed on floor = strictly for make benefit glorious photo.

You know on the real she will be sleeping on an Ankh-shapped bed in a pyramid, the dimensions of which make your home resemble a mouse-hole.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    You know on the real she will be sleeping on an Ankh-shapped bed in a pyramid, the dimensions of which make your home resemble a mouse-hole.
    on a level.
    BTW whos cares if she sleeps on the floor. She spends most of her time in dallas anyway.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

She isnt Grown N Sexy yet.