Erykah Badu - New Amerykah part one

Comments

• an expected million-seller

D'ANGELOL

It's quite possible that the album will hit the million mark. The marketing campaign by Universal is massive. I think that this album could be her most successful, from a commercial view.

Of course I could be wrong.

D'ANGELOL

It's possbile, G&S people are still part of that demographic that cop music/ still buy C.D.'s plus her ability to connect with women almost on some Mary schitt equal more sales and she's pretty much been able to stay relevant and gain some new (younger) fans. Could happen.

Did this drop already?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    an expected million-seller

D'ANGELOL

It's possbile, G&S people are still part of that demographic that cop music/ still buy C.D.'s plus her ability to connect with women almost on some Mary schitt equal more sales and she's pretty much been able to stay relevant and gain some new (younger) fans. Could happen.

Did this drop already?

I didn't hear a single on this, aside from 'Honey', and I seriously doubt that will be more than a single that gets burn in a few select markets. While I liked what I heard, it seemed like her least commercial effort ever, and that includes the last ep. I hope I am wrong, and that she sells a ton of product, but I can't see how this would be that vehicle. Good news is, I don't really think that moving units is Badu's definition of success, bad news is that it is certainly her record label's definition.

D'ANGELOL

Did this drop already?

Exactly. "Baduizm" went triple platinum, and her new album is expected to be her best work since.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

D'ANGELOL

Did this drop already?

Exactly. "Baduizm" went triple platinum, and her new album is expected to be her best work since.

But that was when people were still buying albums.

In this new climate do anyone expect her to even go platinum? That's not realistic to me.

• I've heard it on two different stations. The G&S station and KMEL ,the Bay's Hip-Hop & R&B Station.

D'ANGELOL

Did this drop already?

In this new climate do anyone expect her to even go platinum? That's not realistic to me.

I agree, the climate has changed. Universal seems to be pretty confident, though. They've definetely used the right marketing outlets (album sponsored by MySpace, etc). It would surprise me if it went triple platinum again, but to scratch the million mark is possible. But who knows, maybe it will be a giant flop and the whole hype was for nothing.

D'ANGELOL

Did this drop already?

I agree, the climate has changed. Universal seems to be pretty confident, though. They've definetely used the right marketing outlets (album sponsored by MySpace, etc). It would surprise me if it went triple platinum again, but to scratch the million mark is possible. But who knows, maybe it will be a giant flop and the whole hype was for nothing.

Flop , no. But to think Badu is on the Beyonce level of popularity is hilarity.

D'ANGELOL

Did this drop already?

She could probably change that with a spread in FHM.

D'ANGELOL

Did this drop already?

She could probably change that with a spread in FHM.

• (album sponsored by MySpace, etc)

BILOL

• Flop , no. But to think Badu is on the Beyonce level of popularity is hilarity.

Who compared Erykah to Beyonce? Not me. That chick sold 12 million units of "Dangerously in Love" (four million in the States) and won ten Grammies. That's hardly the same category, and I think nobody here was suggesting that.

• (album sponsored by MySpace, etc)

BILOL

bbwwahaha...Thats the other soul dude, Bilal Salaam, I think.

Dog, getting your album or a feature by myspace is a huge look, especially in terms of exposure. I mean, c'mon, pretty much any rapper who takes there shit seriously wouldn't turn down something like this.

OR DO YOU STILL ROCK A FRIENDSTER ACCOUNT!!?!?!?!

Who compared Erykah to Beyonce? Not me. That chick sold 12 million units of "Dangerously in Love" (four million in the States) and won ten Grammies. That's hardly the same category, and I think nobody here was suggesting that.

I dont think she can even get Mary numbers.

Mary is singin w/ U2, while yall talmbout RAMP n shit.

• Flop , no. But to think Badu is on the Beyonce level of popularity is hilarity.

Thinking Mary is huge because she sang with U2= . She's been holding it down since the 90's with hit after hit

I guess we'll find out.
    U2 got paid, btw.

Thinking Mary is huge because she sang with U2= . She's been holding it down since the 90's with hit after hit

Hold up bro.

Im talmbout the new Mary dude. She has crossed over/got even more pop recently w/ that U2 stuff.
    Bono and them wouldnt be askin her What's The 411 back in 1990.

Beyonce > Mary > Badu. DEAL. Im not talkin artistically.

• That chick sold 12 million units of "Dangerously in Love" (four million in the States) and won ten Grammies.

the mind boggles.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I'm generally scared of SA-RA beats. Are they any good on Erykah's album?

Hold up bro.

Im talmbout the new Mary dude. She has crossed over/got even more pop recently w/ that U2 stuff.
    Bono and them wouldnt be askin her What's The 411 back in 1990.

Beyonce > Mary > Badu. DEAL. Im not talkin artistically.

I'm guess I'm disconnected from the "new mary" demographic. I don't think I've heard anyone even mention or inquire about "that blidge and bono cut". Actually I'm not even clear is she's really big on a crossover audience, I thought she was the shit because she's made hit after hit since the 90's, make a couple of bangers in the clurb, and connect with women.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just went to buy it and I saw it's not available yet. Damn same, I was psyched to hear it / play it tonight at the Brand Nubian show. I mean, I'll buy this shit too, even though I know I got a copy coming to me soon for free.

But yeah, "Healer" and "Honey" are both dope, and I could see this album getting some shine, but on some Mary and Beyonce shit? Nah, money... shit just ain't like that these days.

I'm guess I'm disconnected from the "new mary" demographic. I don't think I've heard anyone even mention or inquire about "that blidge and bono cut". Actually I'm not even clear is she's really big on a crossover audience, I thought she was the shit because she's made hit after hit since the 90's, make a couple of bangers in the clurb, and connect with women.

No one cares about the U2 song. Regardless.....

Since its release, The Breakthrough has sold over three million copies in the U.S and over seven million copies worldwide, becoming one of the five best-selling albums of 2006. The success of The Breakthrough won Blige nine Billboard Music Awards, two American Music Awards, two BET Awards, two NAACP Image Awards, and a Soul Train Award. She also received eight Grammy Award nominations at the 2007 Grammy Awards, the most of any artist that year. "Be Without You" was nominated for both "Record of the Year" and "Song of the Year." Blige won three: "Best Female R&B Vocal Performance", "Best R&B Song" (both for "Be Without You"), and "Best R&B Album" for The Breakthrough. "ONE", and "Be Without You" in addition to the other singles released helped Mary sell a combined 11 million singles worldwide in addition to the seven million albums sold worldwide. Bringing her total for The Breakthrough at the current time from singles and album sales to a combined eighteen million records.

• I just went to buy it and I saw it's not available yet. Damn same, I was psyched to hear it / play it tonight at the Brand Nubian show. I mean, I'll buy this shit too, even though I know I got a copy coming to me soon for free.

But yeah, "Healer" and "Honey" are both dope, and I could see this album getting some shine, but on some Mary and Beyonce shit? Nah, money... shit just ain't like that these days.

No one ever did, her going platinum is possible.

I just went to buy it and I saw it's not available yet. Damn same, I was psyched to hear it / play it tonight at the Brand Nubian show. I mean, I'll buy this shit too, even though I know I got a copy coming to me soon for free.

t's possbile, G&S people are still part of that demographic that cop music/ still buy C.D.'s plus her ability to connect with women almost on some MARY schitt equal more sales and she's pretty much been able to stay relevant and gain some new (younger) fans. Could happen[/b]

• No one ever did, her going platinum is possible.

No, it's expected.

No, it's expected.

I don't know how anyone at a major label could listen to this and think it will sell much at all.

No, it's expected.

I don't know how anyone at a major label could listen to this and think it will sell much at all.

Exactly.

Im gonna cop. My G&S freinds who arent IPOD savvy might, but after that....that craziness to think Badu even has the same drawing power as before.

No, it's expected.

Exactly.

Im gonna cop. My G&S freinds who arent IPOD savvy might, but after that....that craziness to think Badu even has the same drawing power as before.

It's not just her drawing power, it's what's behind the name at this point. If she dropped a CD chock full of 'Honey'-esque songs and videos, her commercial potential would be pretty strong, hell, she might even come up with a top 5 R/nB chart topper, but if the leak I heard is the real deal, I think many folks who expect 'Bag Lady' or 'Honey' are going to be saying

• I don't think I've heard anyone even mention or inquire about "that blidge and bono cut".

There is no "d" anywhere in Mary's name; the blidge is over, KRS-Phon.

I've only heard two joints off this Erykah record: "Honey" (which sounds like three songs from her "Worldwide Underground" EP or whatever it was called) and the one where she's whispering or chanting some shit. Not yet impressed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I dunno about platinum but in case you dudes missed it the best selling rap albums right now are by dudes like COMMON.

your older grown n sexy crowd are the only ones who still buy CDs so I think this will sell pretty well - not at mary/beyonce level but platinum might not actually be out of reach

also 'honey' is the shit and a great single

remember that 'serious R&B' also sells really well, ramp samples or no ... anthony hamilton sells like crazy despite not being r kelly