I'll ride for some emo

2»

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Most people consider the Rites of Spring album on Dischord to be the first emo record/band.

yes..... i was wondering if this would get a mention. i need to listen to it again, been a long time.

Guy from Rites of Spring/Fugazi supposedly coined the term when describing Rites of Spring. My how what is referred to as "emo" has changed since those days.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Most people consider the Rites of Spring album on Dischord to be the first emo record/band.

yes..... i was wondering if this would get a mention. i need to listen to it again, been a long time.

Guy from Rites of Spring/Fugazi supposedly coined the term when describing Rites of Spring. My how what is referred to as "emo" has changed since those days.

Even more drastic than 1962 "funk" vs. 1972 "funk"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Yeah, "emo" has changed definitions since I listened to it in the late-90s.

I was big on the Get Up Kids, the Promise Ring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Braid, -- I could go on and on and on and on with all of the emo music I listened to back in the day. Kind of embarrassing looking back...

Rites Of Spring is classic. There is nothing embarassing about those bands, they are/were all great bands for their day. I still have heaps of emo/hardcore/punk 7"s & LPs. Classic stuff.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    yes, bauhaus is goth. not emo.

I ride for 'Kick in the Eye':