I'll ride for some emo

dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Ok, so not like EMO emo (holler at me in ten years for that), but I've been giving some heavy burn to some melancholy shit lately. Probably listened to this shit like twelve times this weekend.Like, boo-hoo and all that, but this bangs. Catch me spinning Bauhaus' 1st and the Skip Spence record in my room, yo.

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    who are you and what have you done with s**ve?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Catch me spinning Bauhaus

Isn't that more like Goth, though? I mean, if it doesn't make you want to cry and compose maudlin poetry about sorrow, it's not emo, right?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    the all-time best emo bands, the official list:

1. Cap'n Jazz

-- end of list

• Wasn't EMO what bands like 7 Seconds were doing back in the day when they were mellowing out of their hardcore fase?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Wasn't EMO what bands like 7 Seconds were doing back in the day when they were mellowing out of their hardcore fase?
    Yeah, like their "New Wind" LP. Essentially when hardcore bands started listening to U2

• Ill ride for selling some Emo...gettin like 50 bucks for Built to Spill and Modest Mouse LPs...word!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Ill ride for selling some Emo...gettin like 50 bucks for Built to Spill and Modest Mouse LPs...word!

I'll ride for Scout Niblett and Cat Power

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

YMD.

• Ill ride for selling some Emo...gettin like 50 bucks for Built to Spill and Modest Mouse LPs...word!

It's funny you mention these two, because a 50 spot (75 in the case of MM) for "Keep It Like a Secret" and "The Moon and Antarctica" are two small factors that contributed to the savings involved in a cross country move.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ill ride for selling some Emo...gettin like 50 bucks for Built to Spill and Modest Mouse LPs...word!

It's funny you mention these two, because a 50 spot (75 in the case of MM) for "Keep It Like a Secret" and "The Moon and Antarctica" are two small factors that contributed to the savings involved in a cross country move.

Is Modest Mouse considered emo?

• makes me want to cry and compose maudlin poetry about sorrow

• Wasn't EMO what bands like 7 Seconds were doing back in the day when they were mellowing out of their hardcore fase?

Is Modest Mouse considered emo?

yeahyeahyeah. It's all true. All I'm saying is we gets emotional.

-edit- I couldn't figure out why the above image didn't work, and then realized that it's because I was trying to post one from labcab and got auto-replaced. LOLzers.

Yeah, like their "New Wind" LP. Essentially when hardcore bands started listening to U2

Some of those hardcore bands made me laugh. I didn't think 7 Seconds' New Wind LP was too bad, I liked it, but when that straight edge band Uniform Choice made their second album, it cracked me up. Wearing cowboy boots and long hair and shit.
    The music sucked too.

Are bands like Ignition from washington considered EMO?

• i still think this album is good.

• i still think this album is good.

i'll ride for this one. used to listen to this shit back in the day, but was really the only thing considered emo that i ever got into.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    used to be emo was bands like promise circle. Now i think it means bands like afi.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Isn't that more like Goth, though? I mean, if it doesn't make you want to cry and compose maudlin poetry about sorrow, it's not emo, right?

yes, bauhaus is goth. not emo.

• Catch me spinning Bauhaus

Yeah, "emo" has changed definitions since I listened to it in the late-90s.

Most people consider the Rites of Spring album on Dischord to be the first emo record/band.

I was big on the Get Up Kids, the Promise Ring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Braid, -- I could go on and on and on and on with all of the emo music I listened to back in the day. Kind of embarrassing looking back...

Most of the kids consider scream-o music emo nowadays. And that bullshit Panic! At the Disco. To consider a band like that emo back in the hey would begin at least a heated, hour-long argument. I say no way.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Yeah, "emo" has changed definitions since I listened to it in the late-90s.

Most people consider the Rites of Spring album on Dischord to be the first emo record/band.

I was big on the Get Up Kids, the Promise Ring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Braid, -- I could go on and on and on and on with all of the emo music I listened to back in the day. Kind of embarrassing looking back...

Most of the kids consider scream-o music emo nowadays. And that bullshit Panic! At the Disco. To consider a band like that emo back in the hey would begin at least a heated, hour-long argument. I say no way.

i grew up around all the emo stuff coming out in the late 90s early 2000s. things have definitely changed.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I think emo in lots of ways is more of a fashion ideal than a musical one. I see a lot of kids with "the look" (tight black jeans, hair in the face etc) but it doens't fully dictate the music they are listening too. Green Day isn't emo, but emo kids listen to Green Day and so on.

We used to call these types "shoe gazers" in the 90's. These bands just staired at the floor while playing and so did their fans.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    i like the dismemeberment plan. not really emo, but as close as i will ever come

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    the all-time best emo bands, the official list:

1. Cap'n Jazz

-- end of list

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

We used to call these types "shoe gazers" in the 90's. These bands just staired at the floor while playing and so did their fans.

funny, I have never thought of the term " shoe gazers" applying to Emo kids...I have always thought of "shoe gazers" as 90s folk who were into drugs and bands like My Bloody Valentine, Spiritualized, etc....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Is Bill Fay Emo enough? How about Jackson C. Frank?

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Is Madlib emo?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Jawbreaker's 24 Hour Revenge Therapy got me through all my high school break-ups.

• Jawbreaker's 24 Hour Revenge Therapy got me through all my high school break-ups.

One of the few I can still listen to from my emo days.

• Call it what you will, but I will ride for Modest Mouse and Built to Spill for life.

• Built to Spill

I'm gonna start a Built to Spill thread tomorrow once the workweek starts rolling.

• Most people consider the Rites of Spring album on Dischord to be the first emo record/band.

yes..... i was wondering if this would get a mention. i need to listen to it again, been a long time.