I'm all about the harpsichord today.

JRootJRoot 861 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Wanda Landowska, specifically. It is hardly possible to mention the harpsichord today without evoking the haughty, noble figure of Wanda Landowska, who was able to "draw from out of nowhere a complete technique, without the aid of any pre-existing model." It is due to her, and her alone, that the harpsichord has become once more the chosen instrument for performing old keyboard music, and to the inspiration of her playing tha tmodern composers never grew tired of dedicating new works to her.You beat makers out there need to sample the shit out of those two bars in the middle of her performance of the Sonata in D Major L. 14 by Scarlatti. If you know, you know.The below video depicts Wanda in 1927 at her home. The soundtrack was added later, and is played on the (blech) piano.

HARPSICHORD PEOPLE STAND UP. JRoot

Comments

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I got turned off from that harpsichord sound from the sound on that erroll garner record where he plays electric harpsichord. I think I like it much better acoustic. And I'm always liking Vivaldi's d major concerto. I like the version on this record with tea and wake and bake

legoz

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

HARPSICHORD PEOPLE STAND UP

• I got turned off from that harpsichord sound from that episode of Sanford & Son where Fred rents a room of the Sanford Arms to a girl that looks like his deceased wife - everytime the girl enters the scene, that sentimental/romantic harpsichord music starts up[/b]

...although it sounds just fine on the Left Banke's "Walk Away Renee"!

• ...okay, so this is a harp and not a harpsichord but it's never a bad time to post this clip.