Who's got 3 mio? No Reserve!

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
This is...erm...something...http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Worlds-Greatest-...1QQcmdZViewItem"Q: Hello, Does the collection come with the guy in the pictures? ThanksA: The guy in the pictures is the owner of the collection, and he can make himself available to the buyer for up to six months to assist with re-organization,...more"

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    $1 a record isn't a good deal at all when buying a huge lot like that.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I wonder how many records in that lot I'd actually be excited to own.

• I wonder how many records in that lot I'd actually be excited to sell.[/b]

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Ha, imagine it's just 3 million nonraer records...headaches for years...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    $1 a record isn't a good deal at all when buying a huge lot like that.

I was thinking the same. unless the shit's heat, which we all doubt. should those shits be like $.03 a piece?

Did it say if there were doubles in there? I picture eight copies of Boston Third Stage or something. at a dollar each, that's

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    His Nat King Cole game is crazy tight.

• Q: I think I speak for thousands of artsy, and cute silly people who have had religious experiences with this(or I could be speaking for myself, who knows), but this just might make the value of the collection for all these people go from something to nothing (or vice versa): Do you have Tool - AEnima LP? And while on the topic, any other LP's by Tool? Any particular signed ones?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/living/music/s_547964.html

While Mawhinney's albums are a record collector's fantasy, they are beyond the financial reach of most vinyl enthusiasts. That's unfortunate, because there are a lot of desirable items, including:

??? An unreleased, untitled Rolling Stones album of early singles. Originally recorded in mono, the songs were remastered in stereo for FM radio stations in the early 1970s. Mawhinney estimates the album is worth between $5,000 and $10,000.

??? A rare original copy of Phil Spector's album "A Christmas Gift for You" that features Darlene Love, The Crystals and The Ronettes.

??? 15 copies of the first edition of "Elvis' Christmas Album." Mawhinney says the original album, released in 1957, has a red gatefold cover and features Presley singing "Santa Claus Is Back in Town," "Blue Christmas" and 10 other seasonal songs. Estimated worth is $700.

Scott Neuman, president of Recordweb Communications LLC in Lakehurst, N.J., and owner of the online site www.forevervinyl.com, says Mawhinney is spot on with his evaluation of the collection. He agrees the Stones album -- especially if it is unopened -- could be valued at $10,000. "A Christmas Gift for You," in mint condition, could fetch between $700 and $800, and the Presley release might be worth as much as $1,000, Neuman says.

Without having inspected the collection, Neuman believes Mawhinney's estimate of its worth at $50 million "is pretty darn close," he says. "That sounds right."

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    Well, the 160,000 included CDs are an immediate write off because (quote from his website):

Digital preservation would be fine were it not for the fact that CDs have a life-span of just 15 to 20 years. In a few short years, the information on your CDs will just begin to disappear. Forever.

• Ha, imagine it's just 3 million nonraer records...headaches for years...

This would be a curse for collectors like us. Feet of Perry Como. Yards of glen miller. Probably deep in engelbert humperdincks. We are talking a doud who flexes the elvis christmas album. His tale is interesting but not a collection I'd wish on anybody here.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    This guys sick, what's tha point of having that many records. I mean after you get to the 100,000 record mark you've got a serious issue. Chances are he probably didn't listen to everything he had or even like it.
    But there must be some reaalll hot schitt somewhere in there.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    What about Val Shively? This guy's collection isn't shit compared to Val's.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This guys sick, what's tha point of having that many records. I mean after you get to the 100,000 record mark you've got a serious issue. Chances are he probably didn't listen to everything he had or even like it.

I'd say 10,000 is already crossing the line. Have 10,000 good records been recorded to vinyl?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I'd say 10,000 is already crossing the line. Have 10,000 good records been recorded to vinyl?

I guess I'm a habitual line stepper.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I guess I'm a habitual line stepper.

I may get there in my lifetime, although I would like to keep my collection no bigger than one Expedit. I don't buy classical, and I only buy a handful of new records, so I just wonder what those other records would be...

Of course, if I had the luxury of starting all this in the mid-80s, when there was all kids of OG heat laying around, I might be at 10,000.

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    What about Val Shively? This guy's collection isn't shit compared to Val's.

Good point.

Val's 4 million 45 are R&B / Soul only, right ?

By the way. Is this Val Shively the same as this Val Shively ? Praise the Lord !

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts

Oops, corrected link typo:

By the way. Is this Val Shively the same as this Val Shively ? Praise the Lord !

• Oops, corrected link typo:

That would certainly appear to be the case. Shively's wife is named Patty and he does live in Upper Darby...

I'll have to remember not to shout JEEEBUS F*CKING CHRIST!!! when I find something rare there.