Pick one band to go back in time and see live...

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Kool & The Gang, circa "Live at the Sex Machine".

Comments

• Otis Redding with the Bar-Kays

• Tricky Tee backed by the Peter Brown house band.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damn, nice choice.

sidenote: who produced/played on the Harlem World Crew records?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Velvet Underground.

• Crink's band.

• John Coltrane quintet. Village Vanguard 1961.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Crink's band.

GET BACK IN THE TIME MACHINE, SON.

• Kool & The Gang, circa "Live at the Sex Machine".

This was my first thought.

• sabbath or zeppelin
    duh

• Damn, nice choice.

My twelves say "Jack Taylor & Dave"

Sayin' man if I could go back in time and be around to see Spoonie do some shit live - man oh man. Oh wait, what about being there for Flash to the beat. MAN!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damn, nice choice.

My twelves say "Jack Taylor & Dave"

Sayin' man if I could go back in time and be around to see Spoonie do some shit live - man oh man. Oh wait, what about being there for Flash to the beat. MAN!

Word, that's what the internet was telling me but I didn't trust it.

Just being around NYC from about '78 to '89 would have been amazing.

I just watched that Lord Finesse vs. Percee P battle and had my head cracked open.

• some brothas play some rock! Purple Image

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Can

too many to choose from.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    EARTH WIND & FIRE - 1977 ALL 'N ALL tour

Maurice White
    Verdine White
    Philip Bailey
    Larry Dunn
    Al McKay
    Fred White
    Ralph Johnson
    Johnny Graham
    Andrew Woolfolk
    Donald Myrick
    Louis Satterfield
    Michael Harris
    Ramsey Lewis
    Deniece Williams

Now THAT would have been a show to see!!!!!!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    joy division or the early nyc new order gigs.

• Quincy Conserve with Bruno on the drums

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    jimi hendrix experience.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Can

I'd love to see them CREATING Ege Bamyasi and the Future Days album. Getting blunted with some germans at Innerspace studios. Where do I sign up?

- spidey

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That's a no-brainer for me:

Fela Kuti & The Africa 70 @ The Shrine, Kalakuta Republic.

And James Brown with any incarnation of the JBs between 1965-1975.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    James Brown Live at The Olympia, 1971. The LOVE POWER PEACE concert...with the original JB's backing him.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    This gig:

"My Funny Valentine is a 1964 live album by Miles Davis. It was recorded at a concert at the Lincoln Center, New York, on February 12, 1964.

The concert was part of a series of benefits staged at the recently-built Philharmonic Hall (now known as the Avery Fisher Hall), co-sponsored by the NAACP, the Congress of Racial Equality and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. Davis's set that night was ostensibly in support of voter registration in Mississippi and Louisiana, but he also mentioned in a Melody Maker interview that one of the concerts was in memory of John F. Kennedy, who had been assassinated the previous year. Kennedy's death had struck at the hopes of many in the Civil Rights movement, a cause dear to Miles, who had expressed his admiration for the President in 1962: "I like the Kennedy brothers; they're swinging people."[1]

Two albums were assembled from the concert recording. The up-tempo pieces were issued as Four & More, while My Funny Valentine consists of the slow and medium-tempo numbers. Davis biographer Ian Carr notes that the former were "taken too fast and played scrappily," [in SS terms = / ] [/b] they are whilst the Funny Valentine pieces "were played with more depth and brilliance than Miles had achieved before."[2] He goes on to laud the album as "one of the very greatest recordings of a live concert ??? The playing throughout the album is inspired, and Miles in particular reaches tremendous heights. Anyone who wanted to get a vivid idea of the trumpeter's development over the previous eight years or so should compare [earlier recordings of "My Funny Valentine" and Stella by Starlight] with the versions on this 1964 live recording."[3]

The hurried nature of the faster pieces that night has been partially attributed to the sheer importance of the event weighing on Davis's young rhythm section, who were playing their biggest date yet. Tensions were only worsened by their anger on finding out they would not be paid for the performance. Pianist Herbie Hancock, twenty-three years old at the time, later described the psychological pressure on the quintet:

"That was my first time playing at the Philharmonic Hall and that was, like, a big deal, because the new Carnegie Hall was the Philharmonic Hall. Just from the prestige standpoint i really wanted to play good ??? the whole band really wanted to play good because that was the whole band's first time playing there ??? although Miles had played at Carnegie Hall before ??? but it was really a special concert. Only the New York Philharmonic plays there ??? and I tell you something ??? it was really funny ??? when we walked away from that concert, we were all dejected and disappointed. We thought we had really bombed ??? but then we listened to the record - it sounded fantastic!"

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    THIS:

or something similar

• 20 September 1976.

or one similar from that 76/77 era

and a close second:
    joy division or the early nyc new order gigs.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    early funkadelic...

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    hop onboard son.

• Placebo!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Talking heads at cbgb's,
    Parliaments and the gbh studio,
    James Brown & Friends in Vietnam,
    Isaac Hayes at the Sahara Tahoe show,
    Wattstax, etc., etc.

• That's a no-brainer for me:

Fela Kuti & The Africa 70 @ The Shrine, Kalakuta Republic.

ooops. im with you. no question

• The Stooges in '69 or '70.

But I'd also give a toe or something to see Can or Fela.