London craziness

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Hold your heads.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This is really depressing news.I have a couple of friends that live in London,i hope they weren't caught up in this,i haven't gotten any word from any of them yet.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Shit, I ride the BART everyday here in the Bay Area. Today I had to go to West Oakland to do an inventory check at my jobs yard and then had to ride back to Berkeley. There were cops everywhere. I was wondering what was going on.

News: http://bart.gov/news/press/news20050707.asp

Yup. DC Metro Police with automatic weapons, and the 2 I saw had a team of wire photographers snapping pics and generally making folks uneasy.

Good luck Londoners, and everyone riding mass transit, keep your eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary. We gotta get to work and back home in one piece.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    come to think of it, there were more sheriffs on the LA metro than ive seen in a while. good thing i paid my fare today. of course, i cant imagine a bombing on the train around here since no one really takes it.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Everyone in London stay safe, our thoughts are with you.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    Hold your heads.

When I lived in London the Edgware Road station was a stop I had frequently. once again... prayers out to you all

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Everyone in London stay safe, our thoughts are with you.

Anyone know if John Stapleton is/was in London and if he's okay?

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    just to echo what everyone is saying, our thoughts/prayers etc are with everyone affected by this.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Thoughs of sadness and peace go to those who've lost someone today. Something tells me this is only the begining. Everyone be safe. Good luck.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Something tells me this is only the begining.

I know, right? Shit just fucking sucks. Damn dude...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Something tells me this is only the begining.

I know, right? Shit just fucking sucks. Damn dude...

from the guardian:

The danger of further explosions during the day could not be ruled out, he added. "The way to really bring a city to a halt is to explode some more bombs when the rescue services are running around."

this is no good. my thoughts are with all uk folks...

i hope the summit can continue, progress was actually being made in weeks past.

• Peace to the folks in the UK.

I doubt this was meant as a hit on the G8 summit (if so, why not bomb Edinburgh). I think this is a reaction to London getting the 2012 Olympics, a sort of "Here's what you have to look forward to...".
    Fucking sick.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    Peace to the folks in the UK.

I doubt this was meant as a hit on the G8 summit (if so, why not bomb Edinburgh). I think this is a reaction to London getting the 2012 Olympics, a sort of "Here's what you have to look forward to...".
    Fucking sick.

the question is whos more evil. the G8 who really run shit and kill/impovrish millions on the low-or the folks who blow people up busses and trains and fly planes into buildings. Whats worse?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Fucking sick.

the question is whos more evil. the G8 who really run shit and kill/impovrish millions on the low-or the folks who blow people up busses and trains and fly planes into buildings. Whats worse?

Right now I don't think people are concerned with what's worse. More to the point: two wrongs don't make a right.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Fucking sick.

at least the G8, depsite their downfalls, do some good.. whereas al-Q just drop bombs. then again they may run canned food drives, i dunno.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Its weird. Towards the end of LIVE 8, I was thinking 'Damn, this would be the perfect opportunity in the eyes of a terrorist.... all the celebs and people gathered together... a world celebration and mass unity'

I'm glad those feck-ups didn't try to hit London then, and I am sorry and sypathetic about the situation today.

No matter what government says, terrorism is never going away though. We can't put a cop on every bus, tube train and street corner in the world can we....

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Fucking sick.

exactly... President Monkey in a Mansuit just said it was great to be fightin them "over there" instead of over here. I guess London is a good compromise in his book.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Fucking sick.

Why not go to a place that's run by hardcore islamists and find out yourself if it suits you better than living in the US?

There are many things that are wrong with our western civilisation but there is absolutely no way in hell that such gruesome acts that directly target innocent civilians can be justified in any way at all.

All this anti-globalisation-activist bullshit completely rubs me the wrong way.
    Bunch of pseudo intellectual jobless lowlifes and clueless students profiting from exactly
    those corrupt and moralless structures that they pretend to despise so much.

I feel horrible for everyone who suffered from the shit that went down today.
    Everyone who got hurt or even killed and also for every innocent and decent
    immigrant who will have to suffer from even more distrust, hatred and
    possibly from hatefuled acts of retaliation.
    But no, I mean absolutely zero tollerance for the kind of deranged scum who did this.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts

Fucking sick.

Plausible, but I think it was a case of lax of security. Most of security being devoted to Edinburgh with all the high profile visitors/protest etc. A window of oppurtunity in London presented itself.

I love conpiricy theories..for the entertainment value alone! As I consider possiblities, I'm sure some good theories are already floating around. Lay em out!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    UK Strutters (or anyone else): What`s the likely outcome here?

The Spanish voted in an anti-Iraq war government as a result of a similar incident coupled with a similar demand on the part of the bombers.

Will the Brits meet al-Qaida's demands like the Spanish did?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    You can't compare both situations.

the spanish election was mostly influenced by the spanish government

lying about the attacks coming from ETA even until a point when they really

knew that it was El Kaida. they deliberately lied to their people in hope of

gainig votes for being hardliners against ETA and speculated on

the truth to not come out until after the election.

They were wrong.

I guess reelecting liars is more of an american thing...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    This is becoming a fact of life, but don't let it dictate your way of thinking. Being in constant fear is what both the terrorists and the government want. So please, I urge people not to overreact as usual and jump to conclusions.

Think about it, you're more likely to be struck by lightning or hit by a car.......

Glad to hear all ss/vv londoners are safe. My heart goes out to all families affected.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

The Spanish voted in an anti-Iraq war government as a result of a similar incident coupled with a similar demand on the part of the bombers.

At the end of the day, the US needs to stop backing Isreal. Until that happens, this isn't going away. Who wouldn't be mad if someone was in your yard trying to dictate shit. Do I agree with violence? Hell no. Do I agree with terroism? HELL NO...but was anyone paying attention before 9/11??? Nope

It might not be related to today...but it's all an effect in my opinion

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

At the end of the day, the US needs to stop backing Isreal.

Shit are we gonna go here again? Israel's a convenient pretext but if it didn't exist the Islamists would have to invent it...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Dunno that that's the issue. Whatever you think of Eta (or the IRA, for that matter), they were working towards achievable objectives, namely Basque independence and a united Ireland respectively. If it turns out to be someone affiliated with al-Qaida, do we even know what their demands would be? A restoration of the Caliphate? An end to the corrupting influence of Western modernity? The problem with Islamist objectives is they tend to be so fucking abstract. Withdrawal from Iraq? To be replaced with what? Saddam's old crew (oh, wait - they're running the civil service anyway)? A Taliban-style theocracy? Those cats certainly ain't down with one man/one vote. Like Asprin said, this may be only the beginning. At least we were reasonably ready for it, because it could have been way worse.

Thanks for your words and thoughts as well. I know you like to needle us Brits from time to time, but a lot of you seem like good people to me.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    I ride my bike to work EVERYDAY[/b].

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    First and foremost my thoughts go out to everyone in London and everyone with family and friends in London. I'll say a prayer for you and I hope all of you are ok.

now for the politics:

At the end of the day, the US needs to stop backing Isreal. Until that happens, this isn't going away. Who wouldn't be mad if someone was in your yard trying to dictate shit. Do I agree with violence? Hell no. Do I agree with terroism? HELL NO...but was anyone paying attention before 9/11??? Nope

Honestly Israel/ US involvement is only one aspect of what drives Muslim fundementalist terrorism. We would have to do much more than stop supporting Israel (which isn't going to ever happen BTW)in order to curb terrorism, that is if it can be curbed.

It's not like your dealing with sane people when it comes to acts such violence. As caluclated a move as this was it was not a smart one. I imagine this will band England and maybe the G8 parts of the world together much like America rallied around itself the first few days, weeks, and months after 9/11.

And Frank I agree with your statement (except for the parts I crossed out)

All this anti-globalisation-activist bullshit completely rubs me the wrong way.

Bunch of pseudo intellectual jobless lowlifes and clueless students profiting from exactly

those corrupt and moralless structures that they pretend to despise so much.

to attack those who were just attacked from another aspect makes you look pretty damn sad. Let us not fault the western world for this tragedy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The Spanish people were already 80-90% opposed to war in Iraq. The goverment was very unpopular. It would have been no surprise that the oppisition had won. The idea that the Spanish people were meeting AQ demands is right wing propaganda.

Perhaps the US and Briton will decide to go after AQ in Afganistan where they have been rebuilding since forcing George W Bush to retreat after the battle in Tora Bora.

Dan

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Anyone who kills a noncombatant (civilian/innocent) is a coward and deserves to rot in hell for all of eternity. And anyone who preaches this sort of shit should rot as well. There is no justification. End of story.

• The idea that the Spanish people were meeting AQ demands is right wing propaganda.[/b]

TRUTH. Keep in mind that the US press (especially electronic media) is largely populated by the laziest bunch of fucktards and "follow-the-leader"-ists in the world. They get fed BS by administration "insiders" (always unnamed) and the regurgitate through your TV screens. The simpler, the better.