Company Flow

HamHam 872 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
discuss.

Comments

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i only liked 8 steps to perfection/infokill from company flow ever..the rest was too "abstract" for my taste

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've had it since it came out and still haven't listened to it.

• Important LP in the history of independent underground hip hop that hasn't dated particularly well but still stands as one of the best LPs of that particular scene and era.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

• HamHam 872 Posts
    I can still listen to it all the way through, except for 3-4 songs. the track where big jus namedrops every writer ever for instance. that was good for one listen

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    I can still listen to it all the way through, except for 3-4 songs.

same, i like that writer track though. i wish they had done at least one more actual album (not instrumental) before calling it quits.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    Good album. I remember having to order it since nobody carried it out here (I took a 30 mile trip to find Dr. Octagon too...). Still give it a spin every once in a while.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Good album.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    one of my all time favorites

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Pretty solid lp one of the better ones of that era. Must dig it out as i ain't spun it a while...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How dare they have a white dude[/b] in their ranks. Next thing y'all are going to tell me is that Dru Ha from the Boot Camp Click is white.

Company Flow is actually cool by me. At this point, I only still have the Fire in Which You Burn Slow 12"...which is probably all I'd ever need. But I certainly never get mad when I hear other Co Flow songs.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Isn't this thread supposed to be "HOW MUCH DO YOU HATE COMPANY FLOW?"

Nah, I was down with Funcrusher Plus for a while, although I never
    could really get into the rapping. Too pseudo-smarty for me. I did
    like the abstract beats, like on "8 Steps to Perfection" and all.

I tried to listen to this again a year or so ago, had to turn it off
    after a few cuts. It just didn't sound good to me anymore.

"I was the first monkey to touch the monolith" is one of my favorite rap one-liners ever.

• I still got my Funcrusher (not the 'plus' version, the original indie double clear vinyl LP), and just remember being totally blown away when I heard it in the store. There was nothing that sounded like them at the time that dropped. I think I was probably one of 10 people who had that in LA at the time.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Important LP in the history of independent underground hip hop that hasn't dated particularly well but still stands as one of the best LPs of that particular scene and era.

... and if you give me beer i will call it a classic.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Isn't this thread supposed to be "HOW MUCH DO YOU HATE COMPANY FLOW?"

Nah, I was down with Funcrusher Plus for a while, although I never
    could really get into the rapping. Too pseudo-smarty for me. I did
    like the abstract beats, like on "8 Steps to Perfection" and all.

I tried to listen to this again a year or so ago, had to turn it off
    after a few cuts. It just didn't sound good to me anymore.

Pretty much how I feel.

I can appreciate it more when I'm not actually listening to it. I got rid of my copy about four years ago after playing it and being unable to think of a situation in which I would ever want to hear it again. It does not suit my lifestyle.

It does not suit my lifestyle.

Probably the exact reason why I've never really liked Jay-Z.

I pretty much always prefer gritty to glossy when it comes to rap.

Seems as if I would have liked Co Flow even more than I did...but there was something in there that was just too ____________ to me.

Abstract, busy, contrived...all seem like they could fit in that sentence.

But damn, I'm about ready to try out the lp again. I might be more into it now.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    "I was the first monkey to touch the monolith" is one of my favorite rap one-liners ever.

I've always liked "I'm a knock you out your tax bracket."

I just recently checked the Madvillain album in its entirety, and I had Co Flow flashbacks when listening to the MV track that uses a largely unflipped version of the break also used on "Blind."

I don't know if I want to use the I-word to describe Funcrusher Plus, but I feel like that joint really gave rise to the whole abstract scientifical underground rap genre.

I also kinda feel like Faux, too. You have be in a certain mood to listen to it. Plus I only have it on vinyl, so I don't really fuck with it nowadays.

I don't know if I want to use the I-word to describe Funcrusher Plus, but I feel like that joint really gave rise to the whole abstract scientifical underground rap genre.

It helped it along for sure, but when we consider the pre-existing lineage of artists including Rammelzee, Ultramagnetic MC's, Organized Konfusion, etc. it becomes difficult to give too much credit to Company Flow as if they sprung up out of a vacuum.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i dont understand why people say this is an abstract album
    the shit made a lot of sense

please explain abstract to me

• J-Treds had one of the illest rap lines ever: "On the mic I got more presence ("Present."s) than attendance in a class of schizophrenics; Here, Here."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It does not suit my lifestyle.

Probably the exact reason why I've never really liked Jay-Z.

This really weighs more as a critique of your lifestyle than of Jay-Z.

SWITCH UP YOUR LIFESTYLE IMMEDIATELY

It's funny how one poast can f*** up the game
    You bought a 4.0, you better get your change
    Ain't no platinum in those Cartiers, switch your frames
    Ain't no manicures on board, then switch your plane

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

It helped it along for sure, but when we consider the pre-existing lineage of artists including Rammelzee, Ultramagnetic MC's, Organized Konfusion, etc. it becomes difficult to give too much credit to Company Flow as if they sprung up out of a vacuum.

I agree. However, I would argue that Funcrusher Plus had really angular, sonically adventurous production to go with the "futuristic" flows pioneered by the guys you mentioned. On the whole, FP has a sound that was pretty unique that, subsequently, gave birth to legions of imitators, thus changing, or at least heavily impacting the sound of underground hip-hop.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    i definitely understand their influence on the underground scene, but i can't really fuck with anything except for "8 Steps to Perfection" anymore. but i still bump that track once in a while.

• They give me a headach.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I can appreciate it more when I'm not actually listening to it.

I dug it at the time, but it hasn't held up too well for me either. I don't think it's about lifestyle for me as much as it is about mindstate. It puts me in a rather dark mood, and I'm not really looking for that in my music right now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    J-Treds had one of the illest rap lines ever: "On the mic I got more presence ("Present."s) than attendance in a class of schizophrenics; Here, Here."

Gets zero stars for conflating schizophrenia with multiple personalty disorder.

• J-Treds had one of the illest rap lines ever: "On the mic I got more presence ("Present."s) than attendance in a class of schizophrenics; Here, Here."

Gets zero stars for conflating schizophrenia with multiple personalty disorder.

^^^ gets zero stars for conflating rapp listeners with people who care about this distinction! ^^^

• HamHam 872 Posts

8 steps (lost mix) from the blind 12"