Hall and Oates w/David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
1985: "A Night At The Apollo Live!" (UK #58) (Daryll Hall and John Oates featuring David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick)I just read of this on the wikipedia, on paper that looks like it might be kinda good, is it soul strut approved?

Comments

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    1985: "A Night At The Apollo Live!" (UK #58) (Daryll Hall and John Oates featuring David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick)

I just read of this on the wikipedia, on paper that looks like it might be kinda good, is it soul strut approved?

That sounds awesome, actually. Anybody got a copy?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    1985: "A Night At The Apollo Live!" (UK #58) (Daryll Hall and John Oates featuring David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick)

I just read of this on the wikipedia, on paper that looks like it might be kinda good, is it soul strut approved?

For some of us white kids in the midwest growing up in the 80s, this was the first prolonged exposure we had to Eddie and David as individuals outside the 'Temptations' banner. MTV used to run that live video of "My Girl" all the time, and I thought Eddie and David were amazing. For old dudes I am sure this is blasphemy, but to this day when I hear ANY version of 'My Girl', my mind flashes to seeing that video for the first time when I was in high school and Eddie and David in their tuxes. A great comeback moment, however brief.

An aside for headz in the know: Did this collaboration inspire the 'Tapeheads' plot device of two washed-up but still dynamic Soul artists(The Swanky Modes) getting on MTV through live TV sabotage?

• 1985: "A Night At The Apollo Live!" (UK #58) (Daryll Hall and John Oates featuring David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick)

For some of us white kids in the midwest growing up in the 80s, this was the first prolonged exposure we had to Eddie and David as individuals outside the 'Temptations' banner. MTV used to run that live video of "My Girl" all the time, and I thought Eddie and David were amazing. For old dudes I am sure this is blasphemy, but to this day when I hear ANY version of 'My Girl', my mind flashes to seeing that video for the first time when I was in high school and Eddie and David in their tuxes. A great comeback moment, however brief.

An aside for headz in the know: Did this collaboration inspire the 'Tapeheads' plot device of two washed-up but still dynamic Soul artists(The Swanky Modes) getting on MTV through live TV sabotage?

Weren't the Swanky Modes Sam Moore and Junior Walker?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    is it soul strut approved?

Hall and Oates earned a Soul Strut pass on their own merit, without the help of any Motown legends. I would have to deduce that the addition of two Motown legends could not hurt their cause.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Weren't the Swanky Modes Sam Moore and Junior Walker?

yes indeed. I guess all this talk made me reflect on the Hall &
    Oates/Temps thing, and how it was unique to that time; this idea that guys who were once certified superstars had been allowed to fall so far off the radar of the mainstream, but get them on a video in constant rotation on MTV and you have just breathed new life(and advertising revenue)into a career. In 'tapeheads' the idea is taken a few steps further, that the video director could commandeer live airtime to give the people what they NEED(Soul Music a la 'The Swanky Modes'), and the public would respond with the love and respect that those artists so richly deserve. It had just never occured to me before that the Hall & Oates/Temps deal was as close as real life gets to those kind of moments.