Digging in Montreal

MortiMorti 68 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Just moved here for the job. What are the spots I should know?

Comments

• Just moved here for the job. What are the spots I should know?

All the heat is right here, plus you get entertainment worth the price of admission alone.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Primitive on St. Denis is the best, IMHO.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Sorry to say this buy are you nuts?????!!!!
    Primitive might have good selection but the prices are insane and the condition isn't always that great....
    Where da f*ck to these dudes come off charging $12.99 or $14.99 for hip hop singles???? GTFOHWTBS
    Paul's Boutique prices are more reasonable but the condition of records is pretty shitty.The truth is that there practically aren't any more good stores here, and the good spots I ain't mentioning cuz they
    barely have enough for me.....
    Check out Beatnick, they have a little too many represses but they hav a couple of records here and here that are clean and at a reasonable price.Marche du disque is cheap but selection is slim. Aux 33 tours is aight for certain ish... just stay arround the Plateau area and you should find about 10 record stores...it all depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willig to pay...

I hate to have to say this cuz I rather support local canadian stores but when it comes to new releases I just buy verything oer the internet.There's o justification for charging 12,13,14 or 15 dollars for a record that can be bought over the net in the states for $6 or $7...even after shipping a couple at the same time you're still better off ...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Warren's store

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Sorry to say this buy are you nuts?????!!!!
    Primitive might have good selection but the prices are insane and the condition isn't always that great....
    Where da f*ck to these dudes come off charging $12.99 or $14.99 for hip hop singles???? GTFOHWTBS
    Paul's Boutique prices are more reasonable but the condition of records is pretty shitty.The truth is that there practically aren't any more good stores here, and the good spots I ain't mentioning cuz they
    barely have enough for me.....
    Check out Beatnick, they have a little too many represses but they hav a couple of records here and here that are clean and at a reasonable price.Marche du disque is cheap but selection is slim. Aux 33 tours is aight for certain ish... just stay arround the Plateau area and you should find about 10 record stores...it all depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willig to pay...

Well, I'm just finding that, as time goes on, and I find less and less records out "in the field" I much prefer going to a store that's going to have some good stuff. In Montreal that's Primitive. Often I can find some good stuff in their 45 bins.

• All the heat is right here, plus you get entertainment worth the price of admission alone.

surely you jest, that store blows and the guy that runs it is a complete tool (perhaps the entertainment you are referring to). there is no heat in there guaranteed.

beatnik on st denis is full of represses.

primitive also on st denis is the best spot imho. sometimes the odd good thing passes through there but their prices aren;t great.

the dude who used to run mars must have a filthy warehouse of ok, picked over records somewhere.

do yourself a favour and instead of wasting your time looking for records that aren;t there go directly to shwartz's and order the special. make sure you get the spices on the steak and that the smoked meat is "medium fat".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

All the heat is right here, plus you get entertainment worth the price of admission alone.

surely you jest, that store blows and the guy that runs it is a complete tool (perhaps the entertainment you are referring to). there is no heat in there guaranteed.

My experience was different a couple of years a go when we hit this place with delay, nate bizzo, and otis funkmeyer. We found an Apri Ski OST, Los Sonadores - Vida, and some other notable stuff. The main dudes invited us back to their house where we scored more nice stuff (at premium prices mind you.) The guy who owned the house was crazy weird. He had a Barbie collection encased in glass.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Warren's store

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Just moved here for the job. What are the spots I should know?

Hook me up with a good job and I'll take you under my wing (hideo NOMO)...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    There are no records in Montreal. I'm not even kidding.

• My experience was different a couple of years a go when we hit this place with delay, nate bizzo, and otis funkmeyer. We found an Apri Ski OST, Los Sonadores - Vida, and some other notable stuff. The main dudes invited us back to their house where we scored more nice stuff (at premium prices mind you.) The guy who owned the house was crazy weird. He had a Barbie collection encased in glass.
    Wasn't that the Belgian dude? I think you're talking about Pick-Up. Which is a great spot -- he's on De Pins now, close to De Bullion.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My experience was different a couple of years a go when we hit this place with delay, nate bizzo, and otis funkmeyer. We found an Apri Ski OST, Los Sonadores - Vida, and some other notable stuff. The main dudes invited us back to their house where we scored more nice stuff (at premium prices mind you.) The guy who owned the house was crazy weird. He had a Barbie collection encased in glass.
    Wasn't that the Belgian dude? I think you're talking about Pick-Up. Which is a great spot -- he's on De Pins now, close to De Bullion.

Oh... you're probably right. I think they are both on the same street and I was ston*d at the time.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Warren's store

yeah, very nice guy, too...

Le Pick Up was/is my fav record store in montreal... some of the off the beaton path places may have better prices, but out of the major stores near Mont Royal, he's the best... Beatnik= the worst, Primitive is so so... you can find stuff there, but i would never buy hip hop records there... Paul's Boutique... um, i didn't find that guy entertaining, he's ANNOYING... i've bought a few things there, nothing special, but putting up with that dude's chatter is not worth it... i'd be surpised if he had "Apres Ski", that's a Le Pick Up record all the way...

the dude who used to run mars must have a filthy warehouse of ok, picked over records somewhere.

do yourself a favour and instead of wasting your time looking for records that aren;t there go directly to shwartz's and order the special. make sure you get the spices on the steak and that the smoked meat is "medium fat".
    Actually you mean Roger, I was actually lucky to get a tip that led me to this abandoned crack-house in St Henri. The windows had a big piece of plywood over them and the front door just had like some towell covering it.....ghetto as f*ck! I walk in and(to this day I regret not bringing a camera) there are records against all the walls piles and piles of records all over the house....NO furniture nothing just records and ohh yeah almost forgot, vintage playboy magazines!(Primitive sells those for like $20 a pop) Man I was trippin' ,I was the first to come by according to him and I immediately got to the digging....I pick up about 150 records.... lots of hot shit....the rest was in pretty bad condition and was repeated copys of common shit... and I paid $100 for it all....That was a great dig experience...but health wise I felt like shit for a week after that ...the dust was so thick and nasty I must of breathed it in....some records had fungus and were moist....
    According to a friend of mine , what happened was that they owed alot of money and the creditors came to reposses his store and records so they got as much stuff out of Mars records asap to avoid having them reposessed and thus the abandoned house with records in it(cheaper than paying for storage).

The guy who owned the house was crazy weird. He had a Barbie collection encased in glass.
    Yeah he's a burn out punk rocker .... that place is really dirty same for the records and the condition.... I've seen him selling some seriously shitty records in terrible condition for alot....but whatever these dudes have a rent that's like $5000 0r $6000 being there in the Plateau....Insane! that's why there were alot of stores closing and disappearing in the summer.Apparently they sudenly raised the rent like 30% over night...

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Warren's store

yeah, very nice guy, too...

Le Pick Up was/is my fav record store in montreal... some of the off the beaton path places may have better prices, but out of the major stores near Mont Royal, he's the best... Beatnik= the worst, Primitive is so so... you can find stuff there, but i would never buy hip hop records there... Paul's Boutique... um, i didn't find that guy entertaining, he's ANNOYING... i've bought a few things there, nothing special, but putting up with that dude's chatter is not worth it... i'd be surpised if he had "Apres Ski", that's a Le Pick Up record all the way...

Oh I forgot about Le Pick Up... yes, very good, especially if you're into 60s beat go-go stuff.

• um, i didn't find that guy entertaining, he's ANNOYING...
    Everybody's entitled to their 15 minutes of fame, yo.

• MsBizMsBiz 15 Posts
    pick up is dead.. r.i.p.
    manu from paul's boutik..tsss.. dont get me started on this door knob
    check out reynard bleu on st denis.. jamcan is almost closing so they have half price shit goin on.
    theres also this spot on sherbrook in n.d.g.
    montreal gots alot of great records.. you just need to be constant ou your digging

and cove..when you have a lil cash.let me know..i'll bring you to that unfamous spot i go to

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

theres also this spot on sherbrook in n.d.g.
    montreal gots alot of great records.. you just need to be constant ou your digging

that spot is cool Encore records

you do have to be constant but its not like you are getting great deals or crazy stuff

the best bet is still church digging for quebec soft-psych

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

There's a dude with a record store in the second floor of his duplex that has some nice records. He bought the craziest collection a few years back. He's pretty much by invite only, tho, and he can be a pain in the ass to deal with. There's also a Lebanese prog fanatic that has a TON of records. I went to that spot with Raj, Delay, Danno & Otis. The back of his store must have some heat, but he won't let you in. Dude is a horder. He's nice, but also a bit hard to deal with. There's Hippie Mark, who I haven't seen in a while, but he has heat. His place is supposed to be bugged out. There's a french guy who sells on Gemm, but has no store. He doesn't have all that much, but all his records are super clean. Then there's Wolfgang, who only does mail order & refuses to sell to anyone locally. He also picked up part of that collection sold by that racist/weirdo record comapny executive. He lives in Trois Pistole or somewhere far.

yo Haz, do you rap?? Nomadic ?

jamcan is almost closing so they have half price shit goin on.
    Now that's the only spot I hadn't heard of....
    although I usually tend to not know the store names....

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

You mean Nomadic Massive? Nope, I don't rap. Its funny, I keep hearing about that group.

You mean Nomadic Massive? Nope, I don't rap. Its funny, I keep hearing about that group.
    The reason I asked was cuz you seem to be from montreal and that you have that "narcisist" mention with happens to be the alias of one of the rappers from that group.

• Just moved here for the job. What are the spots I should know?

I found a Grupo Los Yoyi in that store for $5. This was back when it was on the second floor. Guy that runs the place was so hilarious and ridiculously drunk, my wife and I had an awesome time hanging out with him.

Since he moved the place downstairs it hasn't been nearly as good and he's not been as friendly.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    How is Musiquest out in Point Claire these days?

I stopped by a few years ago and pulled some goodies. The owner is really friendly (just don't let him talk your ear off).

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    definitely a lot of records. haven't been in a while.
    he has a sale every year where you roll dice and get a discount depending on what you roll.
    and yes, he doesn't stop talking. do i care if you think Dean Martin is better than Sinatra?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

God, I love looking at this.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    do i care if you think Dean Martin is better than Sinatra?

Hilarious ... I'm pretty sure he went on the same stock rant with me.