DO THE RIGHT THING appreciation

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Just watched this again for the first time in about 8 years.... what an incredible movie on all acounts. Amazingly shot, great writing, great acting, poignant themes. and ROSIE in the intro OHHHHHHHH... props to Spike and everyone involved.

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    and ROSIE in the intro OHHHHHHHH... props to Spike and everyone involved.

that could have been the whole film right there.
    i threw an old school jam when i was in highschool and we projected the intro to the film on repeat on the wall behind the stage.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Just watched this again for the first time in about 8 years.... what an incredible movie on all acounts. Amazingly shot, great writing, great acting, poignant themes. and ROSIE in the intro OHHHHHHHH... props to Spike and everyone involved.

and.... Fight The Power...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    One of the Greatest New York Movies Evar.

One of the Greatest Hip Hop Movies Evar

And if anyone doubts the Impact Public Enemy/It Takes A Nation Of Millions...had on culture...u better recognize.

"Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma-Mooookie....."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Very nearly a perfect film imo: the beginning (Rosie and the radio show), the world in a neighbourhood story, the pace and the writing, the shooting and the soundtrack, the senseless climax(es) that makes all the sense in the world...the Night of the Hunter reference! One of my favourite movie scenes is the old men exchanging stink eye with the cops rolling by.

• My top 5 of all time

Def the best Spike Lee joint imo

I bought the VHS around 90-91,then of course the dvd about 6-7 years ago

I've probably watched this movie 20-25 times

By the way,where those really Rosie's tittay's?

• what about when the white dude goes.. "I grew up in Brooklyn.." and everyone is like "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh damn"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    a co-worker of mine had the lastest issue of vibe with a decent feature on school daze.not DTRT, but i celebrate his entire catalogue (except "inside man").

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "W-E-F-U-N-K......"

"Micheal Jorrr-DAN!"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    what about the criterion commentary with chuck d announcing who's talking,"JOI LEE!"

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I show the movie every year in my 12tgh grade government class when we discuss racism.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I show the movie every year in my 12tgh grade government class when we discuss racism.
    what are their reactions to the intro with rosie dancing?

• watched it recently and didn't think it held up particularly well. visually it's still fresh, but content-wise it struck me as far cornier than I remembered it being in middle school. hatt me now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what about the criterion commentary with chuck d announcing who's talking,"JOI LEE!"

The other Lee sibling, Cinque (who played the bellhop with Screaming Jay in Jarmusch's Mystery Train and was in Coffee and Cigarettes with Joi and Steve Buscemi) made a decent film of his own called Nowhere Fast - not unlike Laws of Gravity and The Golden Boat as far low-budget, New York, awkwardly acted 90s films go.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    what are their reactions to the intro with rosie dancing?

Some like it a lot, most don't say anything.

We go through all the symbolism in the movie and what it says about race in America at the end.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "straight out of brooklyn" makes the cipher complete.spike was def right about that kid not sticking around.

• always liked this movie. This thread has me thinking I should buy a copy. Does anyone recommend the Criterion or should I stick with the regular?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "straight out of brooklyn" makes the cipher complete.spike was def right about that kid not sticking around.

?????

• watched it recently and didn't think it held up particularly well. visually it's still fresh, but content-wise it struck me as far cornier than I remembered it being in middle school. hatt me now.

Amazing

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

I wrote my final essay for AP Anglish on DTRT my senior year in HS in '94. I was so into it, drawing storyboards and all this extra shit. I think i submitted a mixtape joints from the soundtrack & cited a few PE lyrics. Meanwhile I'm sure my peers were writing about abortion, legalizing drugs or some tired ass shit. I got an A+.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    always liked this movie. This thread has me thinking I should buy a copy. Does anyone recommend the Criterion or should I stick with the regular?
    definatly, there is a wealth of extra material on the criterion, and the transfer is way better than the regular disc.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

?????
    i was referring to what bassie called 'low budget,awkwardly acted,new york,90's movies'. matty rich made straight out of brooklyn, and tried to go up against spike by opening on the same day. spike said that rich would dissapear after the movie came out and he did.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    watched it recently and didn't think it held up particularly well. visually it's still fresh, but content-wise it struck me as far cornier than I remembered it being in middle school. hatt me now.

It's only the greatest movie in the history of film.

Dude, do you expect anything less from the one called Chad? His connection with the 1988 Brooklyn streets is not to be taken lightly! If he calls it corny, surely it must be.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    great movie, definitely get the criterion

Dude, do you expect anything less from the one called Chad? His connection with the 1988 Brooklyn streets is not to be taken lightly! If he calls it corny, surely it must be.

sadly, in contrast to me, you really, truly believe you have a connection to the "1988 Brooklyn streets."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    content-wise it struck me as far cornier than I remembered it being in middle school. hatt me now.
    sean bell

sadly, in contrast to me, you really, truly believe you have a connection to the "1988 Brooklyn streets."

lol, dude don't be mad that Archaic gets more props in the Bay than you.

lol, dude don't be mad that Archaic gets more props in the Bay than you.

well, I guess you can always change the subject....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    rootless its not like there arent things to criticize about spike lee's filmmaking style in general, just like any other director. but u arent even explaining yr logic, just taking a contrary position