it's time again for the Netflix recommendations

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I am at a loss on what to put in my queue.... here's what I got going on at the moment and I don't wanna watch any of it, with the exception of maybe a couple of things. Plus, I recently tried to sit through El Topo and couldn't deal with the overall shittiness of this movie... why are people so into this heavy-handed garbage? I'm gonna give him one more shot and check out Holy Mountain. Hope it's better. Hip a dude to what's what por favor... Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 1 Oz: Season 1: Disc 1 Vanishing Point Panic in Year Zero / The Last Man on Earth Holy Mountain Fantastic Planet Planet Earth: Complete Collection: Disc 1 Can: DVD: Bonus Material Shaolin Kung Fu: The Eighteen Arhat Skills The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down Army of Darkness Iggy & The Stooges: Live in Detroit Grindhouse: Death Proof The Larry Sanders Show: Season 1: Disc 1 Noam Chomsky: Distorted Morality The Larry Sanders Show: Season 1: Disc 2 New York: Episode 4 Carnival of Souls New York: Episode 5 New York: Episode 6 New York: Episode 7 New York: Episode 8 The Larry Sanders Show: Season 1: Disc 3 The Last House on the Left Planet Earth: Complete Collection: Disc 2 Planet Earth: Complete Collection: Disc 3 Planet Earth: Complete Collection: Disc 4 Planet Earth: Complete Collection: Disc 5 The Science of Sleep The King of Kong Run's House: Seasons 1 & 2: Disc 1 Run's House: Seasons 1 & 2: Disc 2 Run's House: Seasons 1 & 2: Disc 3 Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 2 Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 3 Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 4 Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 5

Comments

• Just saw this and was completely blown away. If I remember correctly it found it's way into my queue from one of these threads.

on El Topo

• Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 1
    Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 2
    Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 3
    Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 4
    Everybody Loves Raymond: Season 1: Disc 5

awww c'mon... that shit is funny... go easy on a dude, me and the girl like watching this together.

awww c'mon... that shit is funny... go easy on a dude, me and the girl like watching this together.

Isn't it already on TV 18 hours a day?

• I dunno, is it? They show the simpsons on fox like it's the only show ever made. I think TBS airs Raymond but I'm not sure what time. I might not be home when they air it. Shit, what is this? An interrogation? Let's move on, folls.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Plus, I recently tried to sit through El Topo and couldn't deal with the overall shittiness of this movie... why are people so into this heavy-handed garbage? I'm gonna give him one more shot and check out Holy Mountain. Hope it's better.

I was all ready to jump in, until I noticed this. Since I love Jodorowsky (HM more than El Topo) maybe my taste won't be helpful here.

However, King of Kong is terrific. Get that one for sure.

Also noticed one or two political docs on your list and so I recommend this:

not a work of art in the way it's put together, but still one of the best political/environmental docs I've ever seen in that in an straightforward, entertaining manner illustrates exactly how decisions made by corporations and businesses bury consumer choice and environmental concerns in their pursuit of profit.

• Oh yeah, I saw that electric car doc. It was really good. There's a really good doc about WalMart called the high cost of a low price or something to that effect. You should check for that one.

I dunno what it is I'm missing regarding Jodorowsky. I'm a big fan of David Lynch (even though his last slew of films have been garbage), so I figure the transition would be somewhat smooth (due to their use of symbolism and general surrealist flair) but for some reason I find it hard to sit through Jodorowsky. He tends to use graphic, disturbing imagery as some sort of symbolism/shock value. Which is cool, but I don't really get it.

Feel free to recommend stuff you like though. Just because we don't agree on one director doesn't mean I'm not open to checking out other interesting things. I'll even check out more Jodorowsky stuff. Thanks for the recommendations.

With Jodorowksy, I just see him as the equivalent of a really great late 60s/early 70s psych or spiritual jazz LP... his stuff's good on its own terms, but there's also a definitely "could have only happened then" factor that adds to the experience. But if you didn't like El Topo, I wouldn't feel obliged to press on... he doesn't have very many films, and that one certainly gives you the general idea.

How about these -- one doc and one odd, slept-on thriller/dark comedy from the same director:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

i read this a half hour ago and just got done laughing now. oh man. u are one surprising mofo dude.

anyways, i would definately go the tv route. thats what i do, load up ur queue with like 5 of your favorite tv shows and u dont have to reup your queue for like 6 months! here's some favorites as of recent.

always sunny in philly
    30rock
    wildboyz season 3 and 4
    undeclared [judd apatows tv show thing]
    firefly
    northern exposure all seasons except the last 2

i swear just this list alone will keep u busy for months!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    With Jodorowksy, I just see him as the equivalent of a really great late 60s/early 70s psych or spiritual jazz LP... his stuff's good on its own terms, but there's also a definitely "could have only happened then" factor that adds to the experience. But if you didn't like El Topo, I wouldn't feel obliged to press on... he doesn't have very many films, and that one certainly gives you the general idea.

First of all ... I randomly chose to listen to the El Topo soundtrack at work before opening up this thread. Odd coincidence as I never listen to this soundtrack.

Anyway, I agree with the above comments. I'd suggest checking out the Jodorowsky documentary that's included on one of the newly issued DVDs (not sure which, off hand). It might give you a little more to go on when approaching his films. But, in general, I bet you'd get more out of Holy Mountain. If nothing else, the surreal imagery is incredible. It's an absurd film, to be sure (sort of both celebration and mockery of religious ritual), and could certainly be described as heavy handed. But, on a whole, I find it easier to get through than El Topo.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    trick baby
    killer of sheep
    Two-Lane Blacktop

^ Putney Swope

^ In the Heat of the Night

^ Faraway, So Close!

^ Bone

^ Kojak: Season 1: Disc 1

• Everybody Loves Raymond is a good show!!! What's so funny about that?!

Alright Shig, I'm gonna take your advice and start watching these shows.

I can't get with wildboyz though. Anything with Steve-O is way too annoying for me to sit through.

I tried to watch undeclared right after getting through freaks & geeks. It was too weird to see the same actors in different roles back to back like that.

I never watched northern exposure but I know you love that shit, so i'll give it a shot.

Thanks man!

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Holy Mountain.

Not a brilliant story by any stretch, but th eimagery/set design/cinematography what have you is OUT OF FUCKIN CONTROL. seriously. Its like some dope Taschen art book. That moves.

• Everybody Loves Raymond is a good show!!! What's so funny about that?!

I can't get with wildboyz though. Anything with Steve-O is way too annoying for me to sit through.

I tried to watch undeclared right after getting through freaks & geeks. It was too weird to see the same actors in different roles back to back like that.

I never watched northern exposure but I know you love that shit, so i'll give it a shot.

Thanks man!

yeah, undeclared was a lil weird but seriously, u gotta watch it for perry. the nerdy dj dude. i model my dj skills after that dude.

Everybody Loves Raymond is a good show!!! What's so funny about that?!

Thanks man!

yeah, undeclared was a lil weird but seriously, u gotta watch it for perry. the nerdy dj dude. i model my dj skills after that dude.

Undeclared took some getting used to for me as well, mostly due to the modern setting and the 30-min (well, 23 mins after commercials are removed) format. Didn't care for it too much when it was originally on... but catching it on DVD I came around to loving it almost as much as Freaks and Geeks. Towards the end of the series some of the episodes rank among Apatow's best work.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    we go through a lot of movies. they were all good except science of sleep was boring. i was slightly dissappointed with the sunny in philly thing.

as far as what blew me away...i'd say The Tree of Wooden Clogs has entered my top ten of all time.

The Wire: Season 4: Disc 4 (4-Disc Series)
    The Wire: Season 4: Disc 3 (4-Disc Series)
    The Wire: Season 4: Disc 2 (4-Disc Series)
    The Wire: Season 4: Disc 1 (4-Disc Series)
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Seasons 1 & 2: Disc 1 (3-Disc Series)
    The Lives of Others
    Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles
    Zodiac
    The Devil and Daniel Johnston
    Paradise Now
    The Life of David Gale
    The Color of Pomegranates
    Lila Says
    Darwin's Nightmare
    Little Children
    Curse of the Golden Flower
    V for Vendetta
    The Bourne Supremacy
    Babel
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Quadrophenia
    Russian Ark
    The Science of Sleep
    Jesus Camp
    Fast Food Nation
    Can: DVD
    Chuck Close: A Portrait in Progress
    Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers
    The Corner: Disc 2 (2-Disc Series)
    The Corner: Disc 1 (2-Disc Series)
    Network: Special Edition
    The Tree of Wooden Clogs
    Catch 22
    The Station Agent
    Moro No Brasil
    Don't Tell
    24 Hour Party People
    Love in the Afternoon
    Pauline at the Beach
    Le Petit Soldat
    The Aristocrats
    That Obscure Object of Desire
    Tsotsi

The Wire
    Zodiac
    The Devil and Daniel Johnston
    Darwin's Nightmare
    The Bourne Supremacy
    Russian Ark
    Jesus Camp
    Can: DVD
    Network: Special Edition
    That Obscure Object of Desire

on all these, with two disclaimers :

--I dunno how well Russian Ark would transfer to home viewing. In the theater it was amazing but it really depends on you getting swept up in the visuals and the hypnotic rhythm of it which could be hard on a small screen.

--Same might be true of Color of Pomegranates although I showed it in my film series about 6 months back and I was stunned by how well it went over... people still talk to me about that movie a lot in awestruck tones. Also, if you don't like Jodorowsky, I dunno if this one will be to your taste either -- much as I love it, CoP is like Holy Mountain minus the sense of humor!

I expected Zodiac to be but was pleasantly surprised.

Russian Ark

transfer to home viewing.

yeah, i need to see those projected big.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

--I dunno how well Russian Ark would transfer to home viewing. In the theater it was amazing but it really depends on you getting swept up in the visuals and the hypnotic rhythm of it which could be hard on a small screen.

I was thinking the same thing.

Did you see the documentary The Hermitage Dwellers? Amazing stories, incredible characters, great footage and you see some fascinating parts of the building.

• speaking of docs, have u seen searching for the wrong eyed jesus? i think thats what its called. really great movie. and readily available.

yea man, this is why people sign up for Nextflix in the first place...so they don't get stuck watching Everybody Loves Raymond reruns.

the larry sanders show is a good choice though. HEY NOW!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Just saw this and was completely blown away. If I remember correctly it found it's way into my queue from one of these threads.

great movie! i have a crappy vhs version i recorded off IFC several years ago... think i'll try and find a dvd copy....

so far so good....

yea man, this is why people sign up for Nextflix in the first place...so they don't get stuck watching Everybody Loves Raymond reruns.

haha!

iron monkey's netflix queue

everbody loves raymond season 1
    everybody loves raymond season 2
    everybody loves raymond season 3
    oprah's 30th anniversary special 5 dvd set
    the best of deal or no deal
    full house season 2 (for the kimmy gibbler episodes)
    everybody loves raymond season 4
    will and grace curtain call
    malcolm in the middle season 3
    everybody loves raymond season 7.5
    inside the actors studion - with ray romano

haha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!
    What a douche! I knew I was gonna get my balls busted for that shit. I didn't mean to add all the discs in season 1 at the same time. I just clicked on the first disc and chose the wrong option. I didn't know the best of deal or no deal was out already.

• Also, if you don't like Jodorowsky, I dunno if this one will be to your taste either -- much as I love it, CoP is like Holy Mountain minus the sense of humor!

You really think so?

To me, Holy Mountain (and Jodorowsky in general) is really all spectacle and after you've seen it once, you're likely to have gotten all you'll ever get from it. Not so for CoP.

haha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!
    What a douche! I knew I was gonna get my balls busted for that shit. I didn't mean to add all the discs in season 1 at the same time. I just clicked on the first disc and chose the wrong option. I didn't know the best of deal or no deal was out already.

how dare you!

ps
    i want my gilmore girls deluxe box set back NOW!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

everybody loves raymond
    gilmore girls

Personal hell.

Also, if you don't like Jodorowsky, I dunno if this one will be to your taste either -- much as I love it, CoP is like Holy Mountain minus the sense of humor!

You really think so?

To me, Holy Mountain (and Jodorowsky in general) is really all spectacle and after you've seen it once, you're likely to have gotten all you'll ever get from it. Not so for CoP.

Well, I only meant that in the context of his original comments about Jodorowsky... if he's turned off by the "arty" aspects of El Topo, I would imagine it would be true of Paradjanov as well. To me, CoP is the better film much as I love both.