Something Serious

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Just how something serious is this album? Been revisiting it the past few days and it stands up STAH-ROOOOONG!!!Big Mike, who would later be jailed for arson against his former Rap-A-Lot affiliates, wasn't just a hefty dude with a thick Southern accent. He was a tongue-flipper who could outrap the best of them. He was from Gert Town, New Orleans...but first came out as a rapper, after moving to Houston, along with Mr. 3-2 as the Convicts. As a member of the Geto Boys (Mike replaced Willie D for a minute), his No Nuts No Glory is a classic. But of course when his solo album dropped in '94, Playa Playa eclipsed even that. But that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Something Serious. The album is filled to the brim with incredible songs (Havin Thangs, Ghetto Love, On da Real, World of Mine, etc.). And plaese to listen to Bun B's verse on On da 1 and tell me if you are also hearing any stylistic similarities to those put forth by Dre of Outkast.Any riders out there?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have soooooo many records to buy in New York.

• If anyone can up this that'd be dope... I've always wanted to hear it but never have found a copy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    On vinyl, there's only the Club Wax that came out...I think 6 songs in total.

I usually only use it as a Playa Playa 12"...after this revisit of the full album (on cassette), I really need to see what the other 5 songs on there are.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Google search big mike + somethin' serious + blog =

http://781redrum.blogspot.com/2007/08/big-mike-somethin-serious-1994.html

Great album!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah, but for those dinosaurs like me who still mess with CDs, it's easy to come by cheap.

Also: one of the most extreme cases of good album/bad cover art I can think of. wtf?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Yeah, but for those dinosaurs like me who still mess with CDs, it's easy to come by cheap.

Also: one of the most extreme cases of good album/bad cover art I can think of. wtf?

Pen & Pixel graphics...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I usually only use it as a Playa Playa 12"...after this revisit of the full album (on cassette), I really need to see what the other 5 songs on there are.

edit: HOT Club Wax

It's kinda effed up that Rap-a-Lot never really put out full lps.

RAL has shorted me Odd Squad's Jazz Rendition on vinyl and I will never forgive them for that.

But yes, it's HOT Club Wax. How could I ever forget the HOT?

• On vinyl, there's only the Club Wax that came out...I think 6 songs in total.

True, tho' it's great to have those ep's on vinyl...plus they are pretty loud, 12" quality...

• On vinyl, there's only the Club Wax that came out...I think 6 songs in total.

And THAT Hot Club Wax EP in particular holds a special place in my heart, as it was the only vinyl copy I had of "Mind Playin' Tricks" for years.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    love this album so much

another same-era record i've been rocking a lot lately is esg's 'ocean of funk'

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I loved the Convicts, but slept on this album. I was a big fan of Willie D, so I was conflicted about Big Mike being in the Geto Boyz. I will peep this out. Thanks for the link, mag.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Whoa, this record is on my turntable RIGHT NOW(literally as i logged on). Probably the most slept on Southern album of all time. Never thought id see this album with its own thread getting co-signatures from tha Strut. Mr. Canal, you seem to know alot about Southern rap shit. You should throw on 5th Ward Boyz-Gangsta Funk lp and see how hard that shit still sounds. What happened to those cats? E-Rock was the dopest. And what about 5th Ward Juviniles. They had a pretty good album from what I remember, but I havent heard it in years. Passed up a copy at Turntables a few years back and still regret it. People need to do buy/dl the first Big Mike album for real. And the first half of his second album haha. Peace

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    another same-era record i've been rocking a lot lately is esg's 'ocean of funk'

One I've been partial to for the last lil' bit:

Yep, I forgot that the Hot Club Wax that has Playa Playa on it has songs from other groups on it. I was thinking for a second there that it had 6 Big Mike songs on it.

Dude said he had the album on his turntable. So there is a full LP out there?

I've had the Playa Playa 12" before...and I'm pretty certain I let it go because it only had a clean version on it. Seems like I've seen a 12" for Havin Thangs as well.

Now it's time for me to go out and scoop all of them.

• Playa Playa was the shit. Big Mike also get props for not getting killed after trying to burn J Prince's crib down!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Big Mike also get props for not getting killed after trying to burn J Prince's crib down!

LOL! I'm sayin'! How is Mike still alive?

Billy Cook definitely deserves mention here...singing hooks like it's nobody's business.

"The way I see it," pontificates the ever-boastful Cook, "I set the pace and tone of the South. I'm a powerhouse singer, and others need to come up to my level or get out of the game."

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A456420

Playa Playa:

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Any riders out there?

Hells Fuckin Jeah....

World Of Mine is my shit.

My peeps werent fuckin w/ me when I tried to push this on them.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I ran thru it last night.

Smoke "Em And Choke 'Em is hot to death.

Havin Thangs is Pimp C productions.........

Your right about Bun B's verse on ON DA 1. But the song is wack.

Overall the album has some fuckin bangers w/ a handfull of forgettable shit IMO.

There's one song that sounds like a remixed version or same sample sound as Str8 Gangsterism off of the Till Death Do Us Part Geto Boys album. the Convicts reunion "song", which is my SHIT.

I looove Mike's delivery of the first verse of On da Real...

On the real, baby, I ain't got no ends
    Yeah, I got a record out, but I ain't got no Benz
    You ought to be glad that I'm givin yo ass somethin
    Cause it's some niggas out there that ain't givin up nothin
    Then he got a baby, but the nigga don't take care of it
    Anything I make, my baby always gets a share of it
    Yeah, a young nigga tryin to make it
    And it's gettin harder when you're always on my back tryin to take it
    And it ain't even gotta be like that
    Gettin at me like that ain't gon' get your fuckin pockets fat
    Used to have some love for you, but now you're just a selfish bitch
    Takin all my money, spendin it on your self and shit