48 Hours in Dallas?

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
So in a couple of weeks I will find myself with a weekend in Dallas, and I'm trying to figure out some ideas of where to stay / what to do... Any neighbourhoods in particular worth staying in? I'd rather not rent a car if I don't have to, so a neighbourhood that you can walk around with some cafes and such would be great. I'm not averse to taking cabs around if necessary, but I don't really want to stay out by the highway. If anyone could give a quick breakdown of the main neighbourhoods that would be great!Also, any recommendations for good food? I'm most interested in BBQ, Tex-Mex, Mex, and Southern.

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Just thought I might try one more time with this one, before I let it drop.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    as a texan, i wish i could offer some advice. i know there's some dudes here from dallas, or at least have stayed in dallas...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    So in a couple of weeks I will find myself with a weekend in Dallas, and I'm trying to figure out some ideas of where to stay / what to do... Any neighbourhoods in particular worth staying in? I'd rather not rent a car if I don't have to, so a neighbourhood that you can walk around with some cafes and such would be great. I'm not averse to taking cabs around if necessary, but I don't really want to stay out by the highway. If anyone could give a quick breakdown of the main neighbourhoods that would be great!

Also, any recommendations for good food? I'm most interested in BBQ, Tex-Mex, Mex, and Southern.

Where are you staying?? The only "neighborhoods" in Dallas are Lower Greenville Ave. area and Deep Ellum (Main & Elm Sts.). Lower Greenville has some nice spots to eat....Ali Baba Middle Eastern food, Dodies cajun joint, Greenville Ave. Bar & Grill and a couple of Maexican places. Best neighborhood bar with the best beer selection is Stan's Blue Note. Deep Ellum is our lame version of a hipster area...some clubs that have live music/DJ's but not nearly as hoppin' as it was 5-10 years ago.

To dig for vinyl you'll need a car. Half Price Records & Books for days(16 of them). And the better restaurants are spread out pretty well.

Herrera's on Maple Ave. for old style greasy mexican food.
    La Jaivita on Harry Hines for Mexican Seafood
    Sonny Bryan's on Inwood for Texas Bar-B-Q
    Campisi's on Mockingbird for Dallas Style Pizza(and it's damn good too)

If you want some upsacle restaurant tips let me know.

• Herrera's on Maple Ave. for old style greasy mexican food.

Let me just on this place...I can't go to Dallas without eating there. It is straight up Tex-Mex, though, and I don't ride for everyting on the menu. But chips and salsa are primo, bean soup (charro beans) are killer and the plate with two crispy beef tacos + guacamole tostada is . Maybe more nostalgia for me, though, been eating there for 13 and a half years, now.

pray tell, Rock, what exactly is Dallas style pizza?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Herrera's on Maple Ave. for old style greasy mexican food.

Let me just on this place...I can't go to Dallas without eating there. It is straight up Tex-Mex, though, and I don't ride for everyting on the menu. But chips and salsa are primo, bean soup (charro beans) are killer and the plate with two crispy beef tacos + guacamole tostada is . Maybe more nostalgia for me, though, been eating there for 13 and a half years, now.

pray tell, Rock, what exactly is Dallas style pizza?

You've really never heard of it?

Dallas style pizza is like enchiladas + pizza together.
    Pizza crust + Instead of tomato sauce they use ranchera sauce and put enchiladas on top of that and cover it all with cheese like pizza.

• Dallas style pizza is like enchiladas + pizza together.
    Pizza crust + Instead of tomato sauce they use ranchera sauce and put enchiladas on top of that and cover it all with cheese like pizza.

I love a good pizza and I love good enchiladas, but that sounds scrate , though I would try it before I officially announced it wasn't good.

for real?!

I've never heard of Enchilada Pizza.......Campisi's has been in business since '46 (you can see the original sign below which is still up and functional) and they have a unique oval shaped thin, hard crust Pizza(see below).

Being from NY I was skeptical about Dallas Pizza but this shit is great.....I've brought people from all over the world there and no one has not loved it....give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Campisi's is good. Jaivita is good. Herreras? Waaaay mediocre Tex Mex. I ordered something there that came with that grated neon orange elementary school cafeteria-style cheese on top. And their queso is that Ranger game/7-11 shit.

And yeah, you need a car to do anything in this city.

Forever Young in Grand Prarie can be good but be prepared to pay for your finds.

Campisi's is good. Jaivita is good. Herreras? Waaaay mediocre Tex Mex. I ordered something there that came with that grated neon orange elementary school cafeteria-style cheese on top. And their queso is that Ranger game/7-11 shit.

And yeah, you need a car to do anything in this city.

Forever Young in Grand Prarie can be good but be prepared to pay for your finds.

Herrera's is more of a tradition than anything else....heck, they were written up in National Geographic. And a typical plate there looks like the inner gatefold of that ZZ Top LP!!

But I agree, there are much better spots.

Forever On The Wall

• Herreras? Waaaay mediocre Tex Mex.

Like Rock said, very traditional. I can't really ride for their cheese enchiladas or cheese soft tacos, but the fajitas, the combo plate i mentioned above and other things are good. Not award winning, but solid.

I ordered something there that came with that grated neon orange elementary school cafeteria-style cheese on top.

like Rock said, traditional. tex mex was born on using cheap govt cheese. i agree, though, that the better places out there have embraced/incorporated more authentic/interior ingredients and methods with tex-mex food for sure shot modern tex-mex food.

And their queso is that Ranger game/7-11 shit.

NO. At least not the Maple Ave and Josey Ln locations. I'm not sayinig its the best, but their queso is a light and "puffy" version (for lack of a better term)...not that chemical laden, orange, beavis and butt-head nacho, crap.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Thanks for the tips! I don't have to stay anywhere in particular, so I can pick and choose (although now my work is threatening to put it off.. grr). And it sounds like I should get a car... For upscale dining I hear good things about York Street, and somewhere called Pyles?

• Thanks for the tips! I don't have to stay anywhere in particular, so I can pick and choose (although now my work is threatening to put it off.. grr). And it sounds like I should get a car... For upscale dining I hear good things about York Street, and somewhere called Pyles?

Upscale wise, the rosewood mansion at turtle creek is mighty nice....

although some might disagree, you cant beat the seafood and wine selection at trulucks on McKinney...

Thanks for the tips! I don't have to stay anywhere in particular, so I can pick and choose (although now my work is threatening to put it off.. grr). And it sounds like I should get a car... For upscale dining I hear good things about York Street, and somewhere called Pyles?

Stephan Pyles has a place on Ross Ave. that is top notch Southwest cuisine.....he also has a restaurant at the Gaylord Hotel in Grapevine called "Amalur"....both are top notch. Pyles is our resident high profile chef.

Never been to York St. but have heard good things.

On the other side of town there is a place called Tillman's Roadhouse that's good too. Don't let the name fool you, this place is top notch all the way.

Check it here....
    http://www.tillmansroadhouse.com/eats.html

• this may sound random, but has anyone gone to the dallas aquarium? any good? i saw it for the first time driving by downtown. at the time i felt like going in, listening to some la monte young on the headphones while staring at fishes, but it was 2 am. i hope to do it soon.