I DON'T GET IT (Lupe Fiasco related)

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Dude was in a crew with some other dudes that I know from Seattle that are cool.

You know, I don't have any problem with his perspective as long as he recognizes it as a minority one.

I do have a problem with this bizarre inversion of reality where the majority of the rap listening public had never heard of UGK until recently, finds Southern rap records to be boring and simply craves more of that old boom-bap.

its very obvious to me that my opinion on this board is a minority. doesn't bother me a bit until someone gets asshurt that i have a different opinion than theirs.

i have a problem with this bizarre inversion that i said the majority of rap listening public had never heard of them. i said that myself and some of my friends haven't heard of them until recently and i certianly do not represent the majority. its also apperant to me that the majority loves themselves some southern rap - stating the obvious. sometimes i think cats are looking too hard for something to take offense to in my posts that you're putting words in my mouth. i'm totally into learning more about music i don't know much about, which i thought was the major purpose of this site. i know that not everyone subscribes to the boom bap style, why can't you acccept that not everyone loves southern rap? damn dude, give me a reason to like it instead of making yourself so high and mighty on my behalf. and the few ugk songs i've heard, are loops over an 808, but for the sake of educating myself, i'll go out and buy one of their full albums. any suggestions?

what seattle crew is this?

Dude, your whole poast was about bolstering your opinion with collective experience.

Now just admit that you and your friends are hermits who hate rap and we can keep it moving.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Dude was in a crew with some other dudes that I know from Seattle that are cool.

You know, I don't have any problem with his perspective as long as he recognizes it as a minority one.

I do have a problem with this bizarre inversion of reality where the majority of the rap listening public had never heard of UGK until recently, finds Southern rap records to be boring and simply craves more of that old boom-bap.

its very obvious to me that my opinion on this board is a minority. doesn't bother me a bit until someone gets asshurt that i have a different opinion than theirs.

i have a problem with this bizarre inversion that i said the majority of rap listening public had never heard of them. i said that myself and some of my friends haven't heard of them until recently and i certianly do not represent the majority. its also apperant to me that the majority loves themselves some southern rap - stating the obvious. sometimes i think cats are looking too hard for something to take offense to in my posts that you're putting words in my mouth. i'm totally into learning more about music i don't know much about, which i thought was the major purpose of this site. i know that not everyone subscribes to the boom bap style, why can't you acccept that not everyone loves southern rap? damn dude, give me a reason to like it instead of making yourself so high and mighty on my behalf. and the few ugk songs i've heard, are loops over an 808, but for the sake of educating myself, i'll go out and buy one of their full albums. any suggestions?

Look, if you want to chalk up your OBVIOUS BIAS that makes you sound like an UNINFORMED HATEUR as some sort of innocent happenstance, go right ahead. But YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE BUYING IT.

And how in the world have you never heard of UGK until recently? Did you not ever check out the Menace II Society soundtrack? Brand Nubian and Pete Rock and CL Smooth had tracks on there, ya know?

And I could gives a fuck if you love Southern rap. My problem is that you make IDIOTIC COMMENTS FULLY SUITED UP IN PURE DERISION about Southern rap and expect everyone to thank you for them.

And Crew Clockwise is it. You remember Jesse, who moved up to Seattle from Austin in about 97? Well, through him I met Mike and Gavin and while they too came across as boom-bappers for life, I would never expect such MISGUIDED DRIVEL to spill from their mouths.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    One of the partners at the firm that's hired me restores old Fender Rhodes and likes Lupe Fiasco. I've never listened to Fiasco, but he tells me I should on account of the horn sections. I think it's all too much for me.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Look, if you want to chalk up your OBVIOUS BIAS that makes you sound like an UNINFORMED HATEUR as some sort of innocent happenstance, go right ahead. But YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE BUYING IT.

And how in the world have you never heard of UGK until recently? Did you not ever check out the Menace II Society soundtrack? Brand Nubian and Pete Rock and CL Smooth had tracks on there, ya know?

And I could gives a fuck if you love Southern rap. My problem is that you make IDIOTIC COMMENTS FULLY SUITED UP IN PURE DERISION about Southern rap and expect everyone to thank you for them.

And Crew Clockwise is it. You remember Jesse, who moved up to Seattle from Austin in about 97? Well, through him I met Mike and Gavin and while they too came across as boom-bappers for life, I would never expect such MISGUIDED DRIVEL to spill from their mouths.

believe me, mike is much much much worse than i am with his opinions. not sure who gavin is. OH, cavin maybe? bean one?

but anyway, you're getting way too excited over nothing and reading way too much into what i wrote.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Alright, so I'll admit that until my Freshman year of college I'd never heard UGK. And I can understand how someone not into rap wouldn't like them. I can even understand how someone into golden-era or old-school hip-hop wouldn't really get it either. That's all fine with me, and per usual you guys are having some real knee-jerk reactions.

What I don't get is how the same person who doesn't like UGK turns around and digs Lupe Fiasco. It can't be some "concious hip-hop only" thing. Lupe said it himself that he's more influenced by Southern rappers than ATCQ (even though he bites their style hard). It's really baffling to me and if I were to take a stab at it I'd almost call it some kind of "the guys in UGK sound like thugs and I don't like it" mentality.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    why is it so important for someone to acknowledge or even like ugk? or southern rap at that? does that make them more "official"? are the allowed into your treehouse or somethin if they do?

i grew up in the south and i cant listen to 98% of the music that comes out of it.
    does that make me less of a music lover?
    thankfully i had a lot of different influences in my life and i was listenin to most of that shit before a lot of people were put onto it.

but damn i aint going to knock someone elses opinion if they dont dig it. im sure a lot of people hate what i make AND play.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    why is it so important for someone to acknowledge or even like ugk? or southern rap at that? does that make them more "official"? are the allowed into your treehouse or somethin if they do?

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Alright, so I'll admit that until my Freshman year of college I'd never heard UGK. And I can understand how someone not into rap wouldn't like them. I can even understand how someone into golden-era or old-school hip-hop wouldn't really get it either. That's all fine with me, and per usual you guys are having some real knee-jerk reactions.

This is pretty reasonable.

I think we can all agree that people who don't listen to rap music are less likely to know who UGK are. I've always liked UGK, but, for me, they were like the 10th man in space or the 18th player to hit 40 home runs.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ok, I'm leaving again.

believe me, mike is much much much worse than i am with his opinions. not sure who gavin is. OH, cavin maybe? bean one?

but anyway, you're getting way too excited over nothing and reading way too much into what i wrote.

Yes, Cavin...Bean One. Seems like I met Specs as well, but never really hung out with him.

ok, I'm leaving again.

Too funny.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Yes, Cavin...Bean One. Seems like I met Specs as well, but never really hung out with him.

ah, word. bean is basically my little brother. specs is my boy, but his purist attitude far overshadows mine!

• i'm still not so sure why cats cling to their testes so much

Well, for starters, Bun B is goddamn nasty on the mic, easily one of the best ever.