I DON'T GET IT (Lupe Fiasco related)

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
The guy I do my radio show with loves the new Lupe Fiasco album but had never heard UGK until I played it for him last month, and then told me it sounded generic.I just don't understand why people like this doo-doo. At all. Not to mention Fiascogate.I'm usually content in my bubble of obscure/golden-era/real headz hip-hop but what is the world coming to? Three years ago we had such similar tastes. THE LIZARD PEOPLE MUST BE COMING.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I listened to that new one. It was aiite. Kinda has that Pharell skateboard rap eclecticness, and Kanye Chi-town rawness.

• lupe's alright, dude catches too much hate and possibly attention in general

• apples and oranges brotha. dont get too worked up about this sort of thing
    peace, stein . . .

p.s. you are not crazy.

• I heard that superstar song on the radio twice tonight. He has a line where he references "Shadow and Lavelle." It's bizarre to be listening to wild 94.9 and hear some dude rapping about UNKLE.

He's a corny dork, but at the same time I am ok with some of his songs.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I do not understand anything hes talking about, and he doesnt rhyme.

peace.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I couldn't even make it all the way through his new album despite my best efforts. Although this has no doubt been picked up by most critical listeners I found it amusingly ironic that the only slightly decent songs on the album were more than a little reminiscent of the ATCQ sound.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I couldn't even make it all the way through his new album despite my best efforts. Although this has no doubt been picked up by most critical listeners I found it amusingly ironic that the only slightly decent songs on the album were more than a little reminiscent of the ATCQ sound.

lupe has no idea what you are talking about im sure. he was in fact trying to copy a spice 1 album.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    lupe's alright, dude catches too much hate and possibly attention in general

and soon he will be gone

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

lupe has no idea what you are talking about im sure. he was in fact trying to copy a spice 1 album.

Ha ha ha.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    At first I thought I liked "Kick push", but when I actually could hear the lyrics I realised I only liked the beat. Tried listening to his first album all the way through. Had to give up. Some people want there to be a rapper that meets their "good guy"/"someone you can relate to" criteria so bad, they forget that the best criteria to judge a rapper by is if they actually are able to rap.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some people want there to be a rapper that meets their "good guy"/"someone you can relate to" criteria so bad, they forget that the best criteria to judge a rapper by is if they actually are able to rap.

^^^^ = TRUTH.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    At first I thought I liked "Kick push", but when I actually could hear the lyrics I realised I only liked the beat. Tried listening to his first album all the way through. Had to give up. Some people want there to be a rapper that meets their "good guy"/"someone you can relate to" criteria so bad, they forget that the best criteria to judge a rapper by is if they actually are able to rap.

I listened once (to Lupe's 1st CD, which I bought unfortunately), and I have never pulled out that CD again. I had the same reaction to "College Dropout" in that respect, one listen and never checked it again. I find Lupe (and Kanye West for that matter) "vocally irritating" because they try too hard to be catchy (with that weak-ass, sing-songy shit). Jigga grinds my nerves too on this tip. I guess just rappin' is not enough anymore.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Some people want there to be a rapper that meets their "good guy"/"someone you can relate to" criteria so bad, they forget that the best criteria to judge a rapper by is if they actually are able to rap.

^^^^ = TRUTH.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    some people haven't heard of UGK until recently. i know, i know, they've been around for a while and i know they did a big cut with jay years ago, but some cats just haven't heard of them - myself and many people i know included. i've been accused of being cornball and riding too hard for "boom bap rap," but to a lot of cats, that southern style rap goes in one ear and out the other - and yeah, sounds real generic. a loop over an 808 drumbeat always has. always sounds like some local shit to me. i'm still not so sure why cats cling to their testes so much, but obviously they are well liked and i respect what they've done even if their music doesn't move me.

lupe is more to my liking, but only in theory. i support his records but don't listen to his shit unless i'm spinning him on the show. and as far as being able to rap, i really can't tell what some people think rap is supposed to be cause i don't think most of the new rappers i hear can really hold it down - at all.

easy
    otto

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    the man is obviously a mammering full-gorged flap-dragon

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    See, I disagree. To me he is more of a vain hedge-born fustilarian.

your observation is lacking good sir, to me the man is nothing more than a beslubbering knotty-pated ratsbane

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I generally respect your opinion, but you are really starting to sound like a cockered clapper-clawed dewberry.

With talk like that good sir, you come across as a wayward swag-bellied skainsmate

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    spongy.............. rude-growing.............. pignut.

reeky.......tardy-gaited ......miscreant

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    some people haven't heard of UGK until recently. i know, i know, they've been around for a while and i know they did a big cut with jay years ago, but some cats just haven't heard of them - myself and many people i know included. i've been accused of being cornball and riding too hard for "boom bap rap," but to a lot of cats, that southern style rap goes in one ear and out the other - and yeah, sounds real generic. a loop over an 808 drumbeat always has. always sounds like some local shit to me. i'm still not so sure why cats cling to their testes so much, but obviously they are well liked and i respect what they've done even if their music doesn't move me.

As a producer, you should be ASHAMED OF YOURSELF for reducing the production capabilities of Pimp C to a measley "loop over an 808 drumbeat". It's recently come to be known that Leo Nocentelli of the Meters played guitar on a fair share of UGK tracks from the past, yet even without knowing that...JUST BY LISTENING TO THEIR MUSIC you should know better.

Honestly, you are BIASED in a REALLY BAD WAY and it completely DESTROYS YOUR CREDIBILITY to the point that YOU ARE MAKING YOURSELF OUT TO BE A COMPLETE JOKE!!!

For everyone's sake, but most importantly your own, PLAESE TO STOP.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

lupe is more to my liking, but only in theory. i support his records but don't listen to his shit unless i'm spinning him on the show. and as far as being able to rap, i really can't tell what some people think rap is supposed to be cause i don't think most of the new rappers i hear can really hold it down - at all.

easy
    otto

Wow.

• Ottogate

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It's recently come to be known that Leo Nocentelli of the Meters played guitar on a fair share of UGK tracks from the past

Perhaps by you, but that had been known for well over a decade to anyone that bothered to read the credits to Super Tight.

b/w

I'm not sure why you would bother arguing about rap with this guy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's recently come to be known that Leo Nocentelli of the Meters played guitar on a fair share of UGK tracks from the past

Perhaps by you, but that had been known for well over a decade to anyone that bothered to read the credits to Super Tight.

b/w

I'm not sure why you would bother arguing about rap with this guy.

Right, it has come to be known by people just now becoming familiar with UGK.

b/w

Dude was in a crew with some other dudes that I know from Seattle that are cool.

• some people haven't heard of UGK until recently. i know, i know, they've been around for a while and i know they did a big cut with jay years ago, but some cats just haven't heard of them - myself and many people i know included. i've been accused of being cornball and riding too hard for "boom bap rap," but to a lot of cats, that southern style rap goes in one ear and out the other - and yeah, sounds real generic. a loop over an 808 drumbeat always has. always sounds like some local shit to me. i'm still not so sure why cats cling to their testes so much, but obviously they are well liked and i respect what they've done even if their music doesn't move me.

easy
    otto

Double Wow.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Dude was in a crew with some other dudes that I know from Seattle that are cool.

You know, I don't have any problem with his perspective as long as he recognizes it as a minority one.

I do have a problem with this bizarre inversion of reality where the majority of the rap listening public had never heard of UGK until recently, finds Southern rap records to be boring and simply craves more of that old boom-bap.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i'm still not so sure why cats cling to their testes so much

Well, for starters, Bun B is goddamn nasty on the mic, easily one of the best today.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

You know, I don't have any problem with his perspective as long as he recognizes it as a minority one.

I do have a problem with this bizarre inversion of reality where the majority of the rap listening public had never heard of UGK until recently, finds Southern rap records to be boring and simply craves more of that old boom-bap.

its very obvious to me that my opinion on this board is a minority. doesn't bother me a bit until someone gets asshurt that i have a different opinion than theirs.

i have a problem with this bizarre inversion that i said the majority of rap listening public had never heard of them. i said that myself and some of my friends haven't heard of them until recently and i certianly do not represent the majority. its also apperant to me that the majority loves themselves some southern rap - stating the obvious. sometimes i think cats are looking too hard for something to take offense to in my posts that you're putting words in my mouth. i'm totally into learning more about music i don't know much about, which i thought was the major purpose of this site. i know that not everyone subscribes to the boom bap style, why can't you acccept that not everyone loves southern rap? damn dude, give me a reason to like it instead of making yourself so high and mighty on my behalf. and the few ugk songs i've heard, are loops over an 808, but for the sake of educating myself, i'll go out and buy one of their full albums. any suggestions?

what seattle crew is this?