Cooking Strut: Slow cooker edition

2»

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    meat and foul

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

You have to have good vibes to prepare the food cause u dont wanna transfer bad vibes to the patron.

I agree with this theory. Food prepared by a cook/chef who takes no pride or puts no love into the food he or she is creating can be less than satisfying.

I always think of how shamans/herbalists say that you decrease or even destroy the potency of herbs if they are cut with metal. Apparently it's better to use wooden utensils or a shum shum (Haitian name for mortar and pestle) or no utensils at all. Obviously, there is an art to food preparation that has been lost on American culture.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Fixed! Freudian slip or just bad spelling?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    there is an art to food preparation that has been lost on American culture.

except, of course, for you. you still get it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

You have to have good vibes to prepare the food cause u dont wanna transfer bad vibes to the patron.

I agree with this theory. Food prepared by a cook/chef who takes no pride or puts no love into the food he or she is creating can be less than satisfying.

I always think of how shamans/herbalists say that you decrease or even destroy the potency of herbs if they are cut with metal. Apparently it's better to use wooden utensils or a shum shum (Haitian name for mortar and pestle) or no utensils at all. Obviously, there is an art to food preparation that has been lost on American culture.

Metal isnt natural?

I think Southern American Cuisine has retained that art.

Handmade buiscuits =

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Got one of these for X-mas, it changed my life...

Toaster/Convection Oven
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I bought my lady a crock pot for x-mas and the other day she through some ribs and bbq sauce on and safe to say it was the bomb diggy!!!! Seriously.........

• Yeah I've yet to try ribs in the crock pot. I bet they'd be good. I'm kinda holdin' out on my home cooked ribs experience until I get a smoker. Might have to break that and try 'em in the crock pot.

• Metal isnt natural?

I think Southern American Cuisine has retained that art.

Handmade buiscuits =

There was a great nytimes article about this book a while back. Really cool story, I was looking for the book a few weeks ago but couldn't remember the title. I will have to pick it up.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I grew up in a house where the crockpot was always on... Mums chicken soup... awww man...

Im all about slow cooking the cheapest cuts i can find, my wifes grandmother (RIP OMA) has a KILLER recipe for slow cooked beef but i cant give it up.

I wholeheartedly agree with the goodvibes theory.

I have always thought of food as like music: flavours are made of high and low notes, bass and treble... you just need to know how much of each to add.

Anyways, FejMelba will be here soon to school us all on slow cooked food: that kid is a demon with the tagine...

• Yeah how much to add is key. Whenever I use a crockpot the meat gets dried out.

• I always think of how shamans/herbalists say that you decrease or even destroy the potency of herbs if they are cut with metal. Apparently it's better to use wooden utensils or a shum shum (Haitian name for mortar and pestle) or no utensils at all. Obviously, there is an art to food preparation that has been lost on American culture.

Tell that metal thing to the French. I'm pretty sure they know something about cooking, considering it's one of the six essential arts.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    It is a terrible song, Rise Up by Parachute Club, but one of the most popular Canadian songs of the 80s.

Oh no you didn't!!!!!!!!

Parachute Club, Luba, & Honeymoon Sweet. All day, every day.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Obviously, there is an art to food preparation that has been lost on American culture.

I call pure bullshit. Firstly, your statement implies that it's possible to speak of a monolithic American cuisine (or culture, for that matter), which is absurd. Secondly, American cooking at its best is absolutely world class.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong, so please tell us about that special art which is lost on the Americans.