Hurby "Luv Bug" Azor Appreciation (braeks related)

soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
So, I've been on a mid 80's rap kick for several months now, and I'm realizing Hurby was ahead of his time. Dude doesn't have a massive career catalogue like some, but he was mos def innovative when it came to sampling:The first real break loops were done in '86, it seems, and here are what I know about:Beastie Boys - Rhymin' and Stealin' prod by Rick Rubin: Led Zep "Levee Breaks"Run DMC - Peter Piper prod by Rick, Russel and Run DMC: Bob James "Welcome to the Mardi Gras" (with bells)Real Roxanne - Bang Zoom prod by Howie Tee: Trouble Funk "Pump Me Up"(i guess kurtis blow used "pump me up" too in '85 for If I Ruled the World)Ultramagnetic - Ego Trippin prod by Ced Gee: "Synthetic Substitution"Ultramagnetic - Funky Potion prod by Ced Gee: Rufus Thomas "Funkyh Penguin"Then we get the following all produced by Hurby Luv Bug:Sweet Tee - It's My Beat: James Brown "Funky Drummer"Salt n Pepa - Tramp: Otis and Carla "Tramp"Salt n Pepa - My Mike Sounds Nice: Junkyard Band "sardines" with Grover Washington of all people thrown on top.Salt n Pepa - I Desire: Winstons "Amen Brother" (?!) with some "Daisy Lady" on itSo he was right there with the pioneers of sampling plus he broke two of the greatest breaks of all time on record: "Funky Drummer" and "Amen, Brother".

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hurby had NY radio sewn up for a minute.

• I like Hurby, but he tends to fall in that category of producers who make dope beats and throw some cheese on it. By that I mean that there are elements there to make it a classic and then all of a sudden...boom, cheesiest keyboard riff.

I'll ride for Antoinette I Got An Attitude any day.

• there are elements there to make it a classic and then all of a sudden...boom, cheesiest keyboard riff

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Super Lovers - Let The Drummer Get Ill

Its a combo a Meters break and something else I cant remember, but its

• Super Lovers - Let The Drummer Get Ill

Its a combo a Meters break and something else I cant remember, but its
    oooooh! I was just about to mention that cut...
    It's a demo was out the same time as it's my beat though.

• prolly my favorite producer of all times.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    prolly my favorite producer of all times.

LOLZ, shut up.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Run DMC - Peter Piper prod by Rick, Russel and Run DMC: Bob James "Welcome to the Mardi Gras" (with bells)[/b]

• I like Hurby, but he tends to fall in that category of producers who make dope beats and throw some cheese on it. By that I mean that there are elements there to make it a classic and then all of a sudden...boom, cheesiest keyboard riff.

I'll ride for Antoinette I Got An Attitude any day.

the drum programming on "I Got An Attitude" is as good as it gets. Pretty sure it's my favorite use of those drums. I'm Hurby fan for sure...not of everything but he definitely gets busy. Another great moment on a Hurby track, which I imagine he didn't do but maybe he was involved:

Kid N Play-Gittin Funky: the guitar scratch in there is so ill to me!

• "Eric B Is President" had scratches from Mountain but no one really heard the "Long Red" drums looped as the basis for a hip hop track until Hurby laced "Dana Dane Is Coming To Town".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Kid N Play - Gittin Funky

• prolly my favorite producer of all times.

LOLZ, shut up.

what do u mean? who is better than hurby luv bug?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    prolly my favorite producer of all times.

LOLZ, shut up.

what do u mean? who is better than hurby luv bug?

lol i guess you are serious.

Maybe im just too young to fully appreciate.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    "...not Herb cause herbs a beat bitter...." who would have thought that in 2007 people would be praising this cat..... well he did pimp Salt n Pepa pretty hard

true...the sweet tee track is a perfect example. he loops one of the hardest breaks of all time but the track is barely listenable because of the cheesy bass synth line which almost drowns out the drums.

he's not one of my favs, but i was giving him respect due because of his early work with looping breaks in '86 and i haven't really heard anyone give him props for that.