Weekday digs

2»

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    My girl just called me and told me she found me this for $5!

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4034867621

Don't know if I'll like it, but it won't be a problem if I don't.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Just one earlier today in the mail from Guzzo- Mike Burke "bathing in the raw". Weird private press lp, all over the place with some nice blue eyed soul sounding cuts.

In the back liner notes it says "Mike has appeared with former L.A. Rams football player Duane Allen as a duo called The Light and Dark of Soul". Anybody know if they have any records out?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Just one earlier today in the mail from Guzzo- Mike Burke "bathing in the raw". Weird private press lp, all over the place with some nice blue eyed soul sounding cuts.

In the back liner notes it says "Mike has appeared with former L.A. Rams football player Duane Allen as a duo called The Light and Dark of Soul". Anybody know if they have any records out?

I have this LP, it is RADD.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

I have this LP, it is RADD.

dude...you couldn't find a better picture of Lohan? sayin'

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    It's like that on purpose.

Plus she's all crakky these days so it ain't easy.

• Options
    Ok. Here is a taste of the other David Porter; from his self-titled, private press album:

"I'm The Boss"

Private press from Canada???

K.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    THANK YOU DENMARK!

Major shout-outs to m_dejean, Martin Pac and Dreskieboogie for hooking me up in some way or other with dope records, all the pretty girls in Denmark, all of Denmark in general, Christiania, smokers and the Roskilde fesival for providing some incredible concert-experiences with the likes of Roots Manuva, Rahzel, Black Sabbath, Le Tigre, The Perceptionists, Mike Patton, Turbonegro, New Cool United Big Band etc etc etc.

Big ups.

And now for some of the records:

The Quintessence one is the original one with the pink labels and booklet, wich means that my later press (german?) with orange/green labels (not gatefold) is up for trade is anyones interested.

Peace,

- J

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    THANK YOU DENMARK!

Major shout-outs to m_dejean, Martin Pac and Dreskieboogie for hooking me up in some way or other with dope records, all the pretty girls in Denmark, all of Denmark in general, Christiania, smokers and the Roskilde fesival for providing some incredible concert-experiences with the likes of Roots Manuva, Rahzel, Black Sabbath, Le Tigre, The Perceptionists, Mike Patton, Turbonegro, New Cool United Big Band etc etc etc.

Big ups.

Hey Cosmo and thanks for the visit. You really had some serious sunshine during the festival, you lucky bastards . I wish I could have been there too (no ticket ). Let's hook up again sometime, here or in Norway. Big up yourself anytime!

MD

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    From this past Sunday's trading session at DigDug's, I got a grip of 25+ bollywood albums from Bluesnag (pic to come) and some more recent stuff from DigDug, including an album that he claimed "makes me want to rip my own ears off so I'll never hear anything like it again, it's so bad." Cowbwoy was also in attendance but I didn't get any new records from him.

I also found the Timothy Leary YOU CAN BE ANYBODY YOU WANT THIS TIME AROUND album on Douglas in a local dollarbin, as well as the Fast MUTANT POP comp (US issue) with Human League, Gang of Four, etc. for about $5. Full rundown later... I just wanted to holler and such in this thread.

Betty Wright - Sweet Lovin Daddy (Alston)
    Joe Tex - You're Going to thank me woman (Dial)

Do not sleep on the other sides of these - true doublesiders.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ok. Here is a taste of the other David Porter; from his self-titled, private press album:

"I'm The Boss"

That shit is fresh.

• Options
    A small portion of the 3 collections I picked up yeterday while out on my bike (142KM):

MArcia's funkiest LP (thanks Lloyd CHarmers Band) and the rarely seen JA press of it. This is a double.

Again, a killer break LP who's songs stand on there on. A double as well (obviously).

Oh, we got a trend happening here. Astonishing album with a killer mix of sweet soul and funk. This is the JA issue - I have an OG Trojan as a double.

DOn't know if this is worth anything, but it had a couple sweet soul tunes and was from Miami so I bought it (for a fin).

Mind-blowing board work on this B side.

Rootsy version that'd make you wet your dorm sheets.

This is excellent hard island funk...and the 2nd copy I've found in a week...and it's got "Coke" written all over it.

Funky Cedric Brooks cover of Bohannon. A side sounds like it has Dennis Alcapone chanting out it. Got 2 copies.

Funky herbed-out (no wanker) version of Kool and the Gang's "Funky Stuff". Dub might bring down the walls of the Gladstone on Saturday.

Excellent soul cover included on Soul Jazz Studio 1 soul. A double. These guys were good!

Dennis Alcapone over a reggae funk "Mr Big Stuff". A double.

Caomped Willaim Devaughan cover. A double.

Believe this was on Studio 1 Soul, too. A double (no hot sauce).

Kilelr soul cover. A double.

Again, a killer soul cover (thanks Lloyd Charmers Band, again). Amazing Four Top's tune.

SLim Smith in Top Form

Never knew this existed!

Judging by the sound and the label's affiliation and past listening to records (my greatest asset), think it's Familyman. Crazy shit.

Kevin in Canada.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Again, a killer break LP who's songs stand on there on. A double as well (obviously).

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    kinetic. is the drums on elanor rigby open braeks or just nice drums? please clear this up. peace, stein. . .

ro**ey, there's no open drums on that rock&drums joint, it's pretty weak IMO compared to their other album "FREE"...

when you heading back out to japan playa'?

peace.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    some rock and soul...

• some rock and soul...

original?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    some rock and soul...

original?

I wish...nope, but its autographed! traded a stack of crap for it. As much as I like the LP I cant see myself paying what psych collectors want for an OG.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    K, I got that record... shit is sweeeeeet

And then I got a copy with a cover....

holler

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

holler

ooh i want, i want.

how's the store?

i just got my power back on after two days w/out post-Cindy. folks are starting to bug down here with dennis creeping. can't lie- i'm a bit spooked myself.

No, not that record... a different record...

I'll post pics of the shop tomorrow. It's going great... $$$ flowing in, raers flowing in, cute girls flowing in... ahhh, the life of a record dealer.

(I wish I was joking...)

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I'll post pics of the shop tomorrow. It's going great... $$$ flowing in, raers flowing in, cute girls flowing in... ahhh, the life of a record dealer.

(I wish I was joking...)

the only cute girl who flew in this week was a tropical storm.

being followed by her angry older brother dennis.

still got odds and ends laying around- better scoop before the rains do.

(I wish I was joking...)

the only cute girl who flew in this week was a tropical storm.

being followed by her angry older brother dennis.

still got odds and ends laying around- better scoop before the rains do.

I know... I have been so fucking ridiculously... fuck it, not even worth mentioning...

Anywhoo you know what goes on. I'll holler in a few.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    picked up this amusing reggae cover (flip is 'Sexy Version')

also Ted Taylor 'Ghetto Disco part 1/2' on TK 12"
    and One Way featuring Al Hudson - some nice slap bass hand clap 1981 funk on 'Do Your Thang'

• Options

holler

Information made perfect. Good to hear, J. Kind of on the same tip as that Lou Sent Me track off Earth Roots and Water, no? I think that might be Johnny Osbourne singing on that track.

KEvin in Canada.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm sure some heads on here are up on this one - I had a couple of 45's that I really dug, some dark-side-of-sunshine-pop styles, so I was psyched to find the LP. I'm sure you guys in Canada find this in every bin, but I've only seen this one a couple of times, and never this cheap. Moody loops for days.

Reggae has been turning up again lately - for a while there, it seemed like store bins were filled with UB40 and copies of Herbie Mann's "Reggae" (yes, one store always has a copy of that in their reggae section), or at best new reissues...lately some older pressings are appearing, like it's 1999.

And a UK comp LP of these guys, The Spirits of Rhythm, from 1934-5. I got it for my Dad for his birthday, and I always burn a CD copy to include with records I get for him, so he can play them in the ride. I made a dub for myself, this stuff is so good. If anyone knows Cats and the Fiddle or Delta Rhythm Boys, it's in that style, featuring the legendary guitar of Teddy Bunn and with some great vocal gymnastics and cadence moves that would give the best hip hop MC a run for his bling...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

this album fuckin RULES!!!

anyone know if Terry Jacks solo stuff is psychy like this album?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    anyone know if Terry Jacks solo stuff is psychy like this album?

I have the first solo one, but I haven't played it yet - I pulled it out of a dollar bin and buried it, remembered it tonight while playing this one.

My best "dig" of the week was finally getting my ass to Best Buy and getting some half decent music editing software, and I can finally start giving back a little on here for all the dope MP3's on my system from this place - I'll set it off with a lift from the Poppy Family LP, and the answer to the question "do the Poppy Family got drums?":

There's No Blood In Bone

Also, here's one from the Johnny Clarke, a take on Clarence Reid's "Nobody But You Babe" (itself of course a take on "It's My Thing") called "Doing My Thing" - it's a big download at 6 and 1/2 minutes, with full DJ version included:

Johnny Clarke "Doing My Thing"

• And a UK comp LP of these guys, The Spirits of Rhythm, from 1934-5. I got it for my Dad for his birthday, and I always burn a CD copy to include with records I get for him, so he can play them in the ride. I made a dub for myself, this stuff is so good. If anyone knows Cats and the Fiddle or Delta Rhythm Boys, it's in that style, featuring the legendary guitar of Teddy Bunn and with some great vocal gymnastics and cadence moves that would give the best hip hop MC a run for his bling...

Spirits of Rhythm (w/ Leo Watson) are the shit! The first time I heard Teddy Bunn play I couldn't believe he wasn't better known. Cosign on the Cats and the Fiddle, as well as Slim Gaillard/Slim & Slam.