Smoking Ban in Your City (NRR)

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Has a smoking ban taken effect in your area -- and, if so, what impact has it had? People happy with it, unhappy with it? Business holding steady, going up, going down? People who opposed the ban still pissed about it, simmering down, coming around? Bmore's passed in Feb or so and goes in effect in a few weeks. It's a hard-drinking, hard-smoking town so some people are up in arms about it. As someone who stopped going out as much due to my distaste for smokey environments and related health concerns, I'm looking forward to it -- but I'm more interested in the observations of people who've had it implemented in their areas rather than whether people are "pro" or "con" w/ this issue.

Comments

• Yeah, Denver's had it in effect for a couple years now I believe. I love it, but I'm an ex-smoker. Restaurants and bars are much easier to deal with now that you don't have to worry about choking in a room full of stale smoke and or having your clothes smell like smoke. I don't think most people really minded the ban. It was somewhat surprising that there weren't more angry people because Denver is also a big drinking town. Now if they would just ban idiots from bars we'd be all set!

• minneapolis' went into effect a couple years (3 maybe) ago and its great! most places set up an area outside for the smokers and even in winter with -20 wind chills, they're still out there puffing away. it didn't change a damn thing except i can breathe better and i don't stink after going out to a bar/club! that stale smoke stench is mad gross for those of us who don't partake.... enjoy!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's been at least 10 years now in California. At first it was kinda werid being at a show or whatever and having to go outside, but I definitely appreciate it now that I'm a non-smoker.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Im so tired of my clothes or my jacket smelling like smoke. Can't wait for the first!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    It's been at least 10 years now in California. At first it was kinda werid being at a show or whatever and having to go outside, but I definitely appreciate it now that I'm a non-smoker.

I've heard people in some cities say they thought they'd hate having to go outside, but generally like it (except in shitty weather, obviously) -- due I guess to the social component to smoking. This ring true to the smokers out there in non-smoking cities?

Im so tired of my clothes or my jacket smelling like smoke. Can't wait for the first!

you stay in Bmore?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    In a city as expensive and fashion concious as ny, the lower, less frequent drycleaning bills definitely outweigh the hassle of going outside to smoke. It's always a good chance to go holler too.

• In my smaller city, they banned smoking inside establishments..but then a lot of bar/restaurant owners fought back and took the city to court and won the right to allow it inside if wanted.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fuck smoking dude.

• Man I can't imagine Baltimore without smoking in bars. I'm for teh ban personally. Bars smell just as bad without the smoke though, true story.

I'd bet most of the neighborhood joints will remain smokey, the ban will probably be felt mostly around downtown and fells point and stuff.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

you stay in Bmore?

Oh! Hi Ontet! No I do not. Im about and hour and a half from Chicago. I live in a College town (U of I). Heres a funny clip of The Daily Show making fun of a rather long issue in my town about the Chief. I thinks its funny as hell!!

Its funny cause when schools in session everyone is ridiculous and wasted all the time. And stupid...but anyways....

But we had a smoking ban about maybe 7 months ago and it was turned around by a tally of votes and names on a petition. BUT, Illinois goes completely smoke free on the first so it will be good to see it end finally.

I DJ at a few places here and one of the spots is so small and everyone lights up at the same time. Its so ridiculous.

So after all that...No I don't live in Bmore, but I should come check it out!! Especially after a ban!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I was in boston the year it went in place. Trust me, even if you smoke, its much better.

In other news im still smoke free after 6 weeks. It feels awesome.

• Bars smell just as bad without the smoke though, true story.

Well, the difference is that you won't smell any worse than normal when you leave the place.

Man I can't imagine Baltimore without smoking in bars. I'm for teh ban personally. Bars smell just as bad without the smoke though, true story.

I'd bet most of the neighborhood joints will remain smokey, the ban will probably be felt mostly around downtown and fells point and stuff.

There is a provision in Bmore legistation that bars can apply for an exemption if they can document that the ban has hurt their business; only time will tell how many will apply, how tough or lenient the gov will be in granting these, etc. It has the potential to result in a smoking ban in name only.

And yeah, I'm sure many neighborhood bars will just ignore the law or pay someone off. Also, the music scene in Bmore is very much centered around uncoded venues like warehouses and lofts, and I can't imagine any of these will choose to go non-smoking.

• in columbus (OH), the ban has been in place for a year or two. I like it because I don't smoke, but many bars/business have seen steady decline in numbers- a few of them have had to close.. i know the musicians have been hit especially hard by this as decrease in numbers means less money at the door and lower guarantees.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    VA will be the last place on the planet to do this. Phillip Morris actually goes around to bars and gives out cigarettes. I'm a casual smoker and fully support the ban.

• I love it...had my first smoke free DJ gig this weekend and it was awesome...my hair and clothes were smoke free. I dont really see it hurting business (time will tell), I mean what music fan is going to not go see a band they like because they cant smoke during their set...effing go outside in between bands...any smoker that complains about this is a douchebag( I know they are addicts in addtion to being a douchebag, but still).

VA will be the last place on the planet to do this. Phillip Morris actually goes around to bars and gives out cigarettes. I'm a casual smoker and fully support the ban.

they've done this in Bmore for years as well. Their employees are always hot ladies with a flirty demeanor, and in exchange for a free pack of cigarettes you only have to let them... photocopy your ID.

Funny stuff.

• even with the ban in columbus, they still come into the bars handing out cigarettes... and now- smokeless tobacco packets.

• Yeah tobacco company reps are everywhere. It's definitely not exclusive to tobacco-producing states. Fuck giving those people your ID and info, not a good look at all.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Best thing that has ever happened in DC bars, IMO. The first month(last Jan) people would vacate en masse to go smoke, now, you hardly notice. At the new spot we dj, they have a huge bar outside on a covered-deck. technically it's outside, so I believe you can smoke, so it's pretty popular out there for a lot of reasons.

Compared to my old home town, Minneapolis, DC was practically a non-smoking town anyway, but it is beautiful to be smoke-free on a Saturday night in a small club!!

• i'm a fan of the indoor ban, hate the smell and secondhand

once i was at an outdoor concert in SLC and they had a smoking ban in effect, i was a little surprised

I'm stunned --pleasantly -- at how pro-ban everyone here seems to be.

There's a local Baltimore forum and people are so up in arms about this (mostly smokers who are on some why-must-I-cry shit and libertarians doing their thing). The Baltimore city council was actually unironically referred to as "the legions of Mordor" at one point. Anyway, I was very surprised to find I was in the minority in supporting the ban.

• It's been at least 10 years now in California. At first it was kinda werid being at a show or whatever and having to go outside, but I definitely appreciate it now that I'm a non-smoker.

see i'd have to disagree with this right here. i always smoked outside as it was my way of getting out of a crowded club and having some shig time. unfortunately, ever since this law i now sometimes have to walk around the corner to get any kind of privacy with me and my smokes.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

see i'd have to disagree with this right here. i always smoked outside as it was my way of getting out of a crowded club and having some shig time. unfortunately, ever since this law i now sometimes have to walk around the corner to get any kind of privacy with me and my smokes.

Yeah, I often went outside anyway also, but I remember it being kind of a drag to have to. Plus, as you've said, it suddenly got awfully crowded out in front of everywhere.

I also rememer that toward the tail end of my smoking career (early 00's) they started pulling shit like you'd have to be 200 ft. from a public building and security gaurds were harassing people about it... and no smoking at the beach and shit. I'm thinking this was a county thing though, maybe. There was kind of the vibe of pressuring people to quit through laws, which is retarded if you ask me.

• minneapolis' went into effect a couple years (3 maybe) ago and its great! most places set up an area outside for the smokers and even in winter with -20 wind chills, they're still out there puffing away. it didn't change a damn thing except i can breathe better and i don't stink after going out to a bar/club! that stale smoke stench is mad gross for those of us who don't partake.... enjoy!

I live in Minneapolis as well and I have to say I was very happy when the smoking ban went into effect. Not that it is any better for you but with all the smokers standing outside it is easy to go about and light up the trees in a casual manner.

• It's been at least 10 years now in California. At first it was kinda werid being at a show or whatever and having to go outside, but I definitely appreciate it now that I'm a non-smoker.

Yeah, I often went outside anyway also, but I remember it being kind of a drag to have to. Plus, as you've said, it suddenly got awfully crowded out in front of everywhere.

I also rememer that toward the tail end of my smoking career (early 00's) they started pulling shit like you'd have to be 200 ft. from a public building and security gaurds were harassing people about it... and no smoking at the beach and shit. I'm thinking this was a county thing though, maybe. There was kind of the vibe of pressuring people to quit through laws, which is retarded if you ask me.

oh. i was talking about hweed. i now have to sometimes walk around 2 corners or go in my car to puff.

• in philly
    council person who pushed it through just got elected mayor, so people cant be that irate

• illinois ban is in effect as of jan 1. been smoking since i was 12. looking forward to quit now that i have a legit reason.