IKE TURNER RIP

Comments

• I wonder if anything off his new project with dangermouse will make it out.

• I wonder if anything off his new project with dangermouse will make it out.

dangermouse the new bill laswell.

Ike Turner > All of the white rock dudes soulstrut goes ga-ga over.

• better or worse person than mike vick?

??????????

Later for the jokes, Ike also left a hell of a musical legacy and that's all that matters right now.

The fact that he was prick who beat women doesn't matter?

So was James Brown, and as sure as pink pussy is pork, there were about a thousand tearstained "I miss JB" threads on Soul Strut. And I'll bet you were one of the people posting.

So I don't wanna hear any of that "Ike The Wifebeater" bullshit. I knew the music before I heard the stories, and while I wouldn't give him any humanitarian awards, it's the music he created - with AND without Tina - that matters to me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hell, John Kennedy was revered and loved, but was an adulterer. Hell, Tricky Dick was a crook and a bigot, got a library at Duke University named after him, and was a damn good president beyond his snafu at the Watergate hotel. Benjamin Franklin suffered from syphillis because he was a philanderer, yet was a brilliant man. Richard Burton was a great actor and an alcoholic. So, was William Holden. Miles Davis shot heroin, but that never comes up in discussion of "Sketches in Spain" or "Kind of Blue." See my point??? A lot great people had shortcomings, as do all of us. These shortfalls do not diminish their greatness, do they?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

RIP

• A lot great people had shortcomings, as do all of us. These shortfalls do not diminish their greatness, do they?

i agree, but for some reason, with ike turner, people act like discovering tina and beating tina up was all he did. when JB died, no one said "hey, that wifebeater who thought he could outrun the cops just passed away"...i know what ike did, we all do, and what he did to tina was not right, but that doesnt mean im gonna burn all my ike turner records

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP to a true legend & pioneer of this music we all love. And seriously shut the fuck up with that "but he's a woman beater shit" it's old news. We all (I hope) know that hitting your lady is wrong & that it's nothing to be celebrated. But if we didn't celebrate the artistic legacy of certain "wifebeaters" we wouldn't be appreciative of half the awesome musical legacy we all respect. Ike accomplished so many musical highpoints over his career that I think at this moment he should be remembered for that greatness over some sensationalist stuff that isn't breaking news to anyone.

• Hell, Tricky Dick was a crook and a bigot, and was a damn good president [/b]beyond his snafu at the Watergate hotel.

Benjamin Franklin suffered from syphillis because he was a philanderer, yet was a brilliant man.
    his only shortcoming was he got burnt once...and that wasnt his fault! thats the dude!

• yo i gotta give super propos to Ike Turner!!! thanks for the music and soul my man. yo its no excuse for doing it, but its hard to keep from beating people up in this world, male or female! the pressures of life can push you to do some out of bounds shit!

so keep that shit bumpin in the afterlife, ike. keep it going and we will all catch up with you down the line.

• [sarcasm]I agree, what's a few ruined lives so long as an artist creates brilliant things.[/sarcasm]

What's unfair about mentioning his darker side, again? I don't particularly care for the whitewashing. Seems fair that if he commited those wrongs, he should have to live with that as part of his legacy, too.

Anyhow, I do wish him well in the afterlife.

• What's unfair about mentioning his darker side, again?

It's unfair when they mention the dark side FIRST.

They never do this with Miles or JB, but they ALWAYS do that with Ike.

I just did an Ike obit for a magazine blog:
    http://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/?p=3449#more-3449

...and while I definitely noted his indiscretions, you can bet your sweet ass I didn't make it the main focus.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    [sarcasm]I agree, what's a few ruined lives so long as an artist creates brilliant things.[/sarcasm]

What's unfair about mentioning his darker side, again? I don't particularly care for the whitewashing. Seems fair that if he commited those wrongs, he should have to live with that as part of his legacy, too.

Anyhow, I do wish him well in the afterlife.

There is no excuse for bad behavior, but let's judge EVERYONE by the same standards including ourselves. Ye who is without sin, cast the first stone. I just find it interesting that the sanctimony in judgment of passed legends is not evenly applied. I question the inconsistency of said standard. If Ike is a wife beater, cokehead soul legend, then Johnny Cash is a drunken criminal who made great country music.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Sad news. RIP

"I believe I was ahead of my time." - Ike Turner

RIP

• [sarcasm]I agree, what's a few ruined lives so long as an artist creates brilliant things.[/sarcasm]

What's unfair about mentioning his darker side[/b], again? I don't particularly care for the whitewashing[/b]. Seems fair that if he commited those wrongs, he should have to live with that as part of his legacy, too.

interesting choice of words, hommie.

Ike,
    thanks for sharing your gift.
    May all your sins be forgiven.
    Stay black!

Fuck a whitewashing

-t

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    RIP to a truely great musician.

What's unfair about mentioning his darker side[/b], again? I don't particularly care for the whitewashing[/b]. Seems fair that if he commited those wrongs, he should have to live with that as part of his legacy, too.

interesting choice of words, hommie.

Ike,
    thanks for sharing your gift.
    May all your sins be forgiven.
    Stay black!

Fuck a whitewashing

-t

I'm I supposed to take that shit seriously?

• no, just take a shit. you sound constipated

• RIP

lets list some fave Ike sides:

"She Made My Blood Run Cold"(so so badass)

"Idolize You"(the OG on Sue, cant stand the Spector version, Phil fucked that song up)

"Much Later"(one of his most devistating guitar solos)

"Bold Soul Sister" (even the 4-digit priced funk 45s cant even touch this)

• RIP

"Idolize You"(the OG on Sue, cant stand the Spector version, Phil fucked that song up)

"Bold Soul Sister" (even the 4-digit priced funk 45s cant even touch this)

And add...

• RIP

Those two solo LP's he did for United Artists are waaay underrated. 1972's Blues Roots and 1973's weird Bad Dreams.

Of course, A Black Man's Soul on Pompeii (1969) is killer instrumental funk.

One overlooked 1970 rock-influenced single on Liberty: "Taking Back My Name"/"Love Is A Game."

He had one excellent early-sixties album on Crown that is rare as all hell, Ike Turner Rocks The Blues.

HONORABLE MENTION: the Family Vibes' Strange Fruit on United Artists (ca. 1972)...this is Ike's Kings Of Rhythm under an updated, "hip" (for the seventies) name...just like Black Man's Soul, this too is instrumental funk, but this time it's got a more obvious rock influence...not 100% sure if Ike is on this one, but I'll bet he is.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    R.I.P.

His Sue sides are some of the best music EVAR recorded anywhere any genre.

(Talking about his personal struggles etc. right now is such a bad look.)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    RIP

Those two solo LP's he did for United Artists are waaay underrated. 1972's Blues Roots and 1973's weird Bad Dreams.

One overlooked 1970 rock-influenced single on Liberty: "Taking Back My Name"/"Love Is A Game."

He had one excellent early-sixties album on Crown that is rare as all hell, Ike Turner Rocks The Blues.

HONORABLE MENTION: the Family Vibes' Strange Fruit on United Artists (ca. 1972)...this is Ike's Kings Of Rhythm under an updated, "hip" (for the seventies) name...just like Black Man's Soul, this too is instrumental funk, but this time it's got a more obvious rock influence...not 100% sure if Ike is on this one, but I'll bet he is.

Wasn't he behind Jackie Brensten's "Rocket 88" way back in the early 50's?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Turner, who died Wednesday at 76 at his home in San Marcos, Calif., of unknown causes, had a recording career that reached back to the dawn of rock 'n' roll. In fact, a 1951 record by the guitarist and bandleader, Rocket 88 (sung by and credited to Turner's saxophonist Jackie Brenston), is often cited as the first fusion of R&B and blues that could be called rock 'n' roll.

Dude MADE the game.

Rest In Peace to a PIONEER in ALL music.

• RIP

Yes, he was.

• (Talking about his personal struggles etc. right now is such a bad look.)

Headline of the New York Post (I am not making this up): IKE 'BEATS' TINA TO DEATH[/b].

I mention this not to clown Ike, but more to clown the Post.

IKE 'BEATS' TINA TO DEATH

Fucked up but Funny

• RIP, first off.

One of the reasons people talk about his abuse is that in his case the woman he beat and terrorized actually has a voice. If his victim had been a nameless or faceless or less talented woman, if she hadn't written the book, hadn't made the movie, hadn't been played by Angela Bassett, if she didn't have more number 1 records than he did, we might talk about him in the same way we talk about Miles or JB. The fact that Tina outshined him is the only reason the abuse is such a big deal. Most women who get beaten don't make a peep. Isn't it only right that in this case the scream is so loud? He was a great musical talent, no doubt, but it seems right that he'll have this black cloud over his name forever considering the black cloud he put over Tina for so long.

• black cloud over his name

no color-related metaphors in this thread!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Don't forget that he was one hell of a a&r man for artists in the south too, he was prety instrumental in bringing a number of classic blues & R&B artists to studios (Sun etc.) to record & also hooked up talent for the Bihari bros. From memory people like Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf, BB King etc. etc. benefitted in some way or another. I just think that maybe his musical endeavours need to be mentioned in the same breath as the less celebratory aspects, not always as a second breath analization as they usually seem to be.

One of the reasons people talk about his abuse is that in his case the woman he beat, written the book,made the movie,been played by Angela Bassett